You bet your life!

Discussion in 'General' started by Kali Cowboy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Here is a question that you might have to give some thought to answer -

Would you give your life for your art?

I am no hero nor do I have a hero complex, or any delusions of grandeur.

I would give my life for, my wife, my friends, and my art. Every day I wake up, I give a personal vow to God to protect my life, the lives of my loved ones, those close to me and the helpless. I would protect them with my art including any guns and knives I have on me at the time.

I do my best not to be driven by pride and ego and try to be forgiving and compassionate. I will do my best to turn one cheek.....

If I do not survive, then I would die.....with my art.
    It is all I know and is what I would use. It is what I believe in.

How about you?

2. tellner

tellner New Member

"Give your life for your art"?

Anybody who'd even consider it is bat-guano insane.

3. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

For my art, it is my duty not to give my life.

Pete

4. gold_chapter

gold_chapter Balintawak Eskrima

Give me Red Horse or Give me Death!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and in the spirit of challenges over photos and dying for arts, pls read:

[​IMG]
    http://www.erichoffer.net/

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

For arts sake or what? Am I confronted in a duel here because someone disrespected me etc....if that were the case NO...Life is far to short to jump ape crap crazy because a fool challenges you etc...

I would do the same...but using my art to do my dead level best not to get offed....

Pretty heavy morning huh...LOL...I do not live life on these terms...I find crusader mentality for me a bit droll and down right tiring. I simply live in the moment and deal with whatever the moment may bring.....hopefully it's all pancakes and smiles.

As would I and most here...but this is not dying for your art..it is using your skills to do what must be done...if you happen to come up short and end up pushing daisies it is hardly dying for your art....it is simply dying for your principles of protecting what you hold dear..YOUR FAMILIA.

Your interpretation of it yes..but if you have taught it to others then a bit of what you do goes with the students.

Surely you know much, much more than just that...LOL.....I concur you will use what you learn..but even then when shock, fear, anger, and all the other little pitfalls of adrenaline creep into your brain pan during crunch time you may not know exactly what you used..survival has a funny way of making trained men go primal as a captain caveman. It isn't a bad thing..it is human nature...we are animals after all.

Yes I would protect my clan...but as I said before, I live life by the moment, and at this moment I am just trying to figure out how to get his damn vacuum line unstopped.....an undone HONEY DO list is more dangerous than anything else....LOL....

Mabuhay ya'll

6. bentit

bentit New Member

holy crap!! those are a few of my favorite things!!

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm going to speak with Mr. Hartman about a FMATalk-branded liquor.

8. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

it depends of what time dictates the situation its the art I know, and i depend on it. I'am a born warrior and will die a warrior. the art I know will save me or will fed me to the lions. everyday I'am mastering it to increase my knowledge and preserve my culture as a cebuano. the art I know will defend me and depend on it and will be strong always in facing danger in my day to day life and in future time. in intering the world of bushido there are only two things to live or die thats the buttom line. cowardness is better dying within my art rather than being disrespected and having the guilt of shame. filipinos are born warrior and true to his words like a night that lurks and strikes its pray. I will die with the shame of being bitten than live life with some one having your pride. we must have courage at all time and prepare our self for the worst. for warriors life it not the end but its a gift for eternity peace and rest. it had already happened in trival duels before by our great ancestors and it does not mean it will not happen again but it just keep on revolving. in this wold the winner takes it all and the looser will have his rest. this is why the only best warriors are left and the weak have their place. in philippine ancient tradition there are no room for looser but thier is always a better fighter than the other. as a filipino and conservationist of culture I'am born a warrior and will die a warrior. this is my opinion only its hard to have a filipino muslim in your blood its our mentality and our culture and tradition. we are never been colonize by foreigners but colonized by our own filipino brothers just for a piece of land againts 3 decades of war.

9. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

el maldito de cebu, thanks for you answer. Your answer along with the question that was posed to me by one of my Philippino teachers, shows me that you are a warrior and your culture breads true warriors!

10. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Let me ask the question differently, as my first one might have been a little cloudy for some. It now becomes a multiple phased question-

Are you a warrior?

If yes, why do you think so?

Do you believe in your art enough to bet your life on it?

11. SoCalNative

SoCalNative -== Banned ==-

Warrior?

No.

Unless a person is HABITUALLY ENGAGED IN WARFARE (not just training, but actual combat), then he does NOT get to claim this title. Let's be realistic.

I believe that my art (LaCoste-Inosanto Kali Blend) has limits. For example, "my art" will not stop a .40 caliber, or any caliber large or small for that matter.

So, no... I won't bet my life on it (come to think of it, I won't be betting my life on anything, period). But yes, I will still train because it may help me out of some tight situations in the future and because I like the group I train with.

(I'm half Filipino. I am proud of my heritage, but I've also noticed that in many FMA seminars or classes there's way too much 'fluffing' of students ("the Filipinos have always been warriors!!!", "give any Kalista or Eskrimador a knife and we'll cut you up!!!", "Come to Where the Flavor Is!!!", rah rah rah!!!), there's way too much selling of this warrior propaganda. Face it, unless you've actually experienced combat or the streets first hand, you're not a warrior. Lastly, most Filipinos are musicians or dancers, they love life, their martial art is incidental--if it's used, it's used, if not, even better.)

12. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

A man who claims to be a warrior has never been to war ~MOI

Only history can claim who the true warriors were, not man ~MOI

PG Michael B
    BaHad Zu'Bu KA'LI Ilustrisimo
    Western HQ
    SATX

Ipagsama Katotohanan

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  13. el maldito de cebu

will 1st of all I'am not entitted yet to be called a warrior, in our culture you can be called a warrior if you already faced a real fight and victorious on it. you must kill your oponent at all means. in our culture we get the body parts that we like to serve as trophys' some old peps like to take the leg and grilled it and they ate it. it was old times. I'am just partly muslim I'am christian now and I was not raised in mindanao. in our place in lanao people there are raised as warrior they were born to fight, I guess I inhirited that attitude cause I dont want to be littled and I always encounter brawls at school.

I can say yes a warrior at heart but not in the tittle. I can say my uncle is a warrior way back in mindanao he bacame a murderer jsut to claim what is ours he protected my grampas piece of land as ancestral land. there in mindanao we dont use the traditional huego tudo no more duel to the death. the war there is with guns. you must have your own gun to protect your family and your love ones against bandit and even people from govt. like soldiers that are not muslim.

well I will preserve my art and protect it by all means and will die for it if I'am not fortunite. but no bodies gona take my art away from me. even my own brothers that envade us. I learn our art to protect myself and my family and to have self discipline. the art we have in mindanao is called mindanawan silat, but I was not able to aquire it because I was already born not in mindanao and stayed in cebu. some practitioner think that we are fools to die with our art, but thats our culture to give all within us to prserve whatever we got. that is why we were never been invaded by foriegners beacause we fight like there is no tomorow we fight for last.

14. el maldito de cebu

thanx bro. jsut sharing what is part of me. sorry for the long replies to the questions. I just wanted to make my words concrete and that it is not a story and it is for real and to give you a view in our rich culture and tradition the forgotten heroes in the history never been published in books the contribution of filipino muslims in fighting the revolution. instead they call us moros which means bandit, pirate instead to would give thanks to us that mindanao never been invaded by foriegners and many of us brothers and ancestors sheed blood on the land of promise mindanao.

15. el maldito de cebu

dances and music is part of the culture part of the art. dont say anything if you dont whats its meaning. dances was made to hide the art and music is part of the cultural life. now ask you indian warriors have there own rituals when they are engage in fights? and there ritual is containing music. and dont you notice in most boxing match whos the top? always filipino and mexicans? cause they both have warriors in there blood both there always a better fighter. centido common my friend

16. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I don't know. I'm a fighter, in more ways than one. I'm a student, in more ways than one. I will protect my own integrity in that I believe in living to my own sense of honor and integrity. Am I a warrior? That doesn't sound like a title that I should choose for myself.

If yes, why do you think so?

See above

Do you believe in your art enough to bet your life on it?
    [/quote]

No.

Absolutely not.

My art is not enough.

Its not that my art isn't well rounded, or that I don't have a good instructor. But it is nothing without me. I have to put the time and the discipline in to practicing. I have to have the intelligence to understand all of what my instructor is trying to teach me...including the more subtle lessons of perception and situational awareness. I prefer to act on intelligence and judgment to keep me out of trouble to begin with, and depend on getting out of trouble only when trouble couldn't possibly be avoided.

So no, I don't believe in my art enough to bet my life upon it. But I believe in my instructor, his teaching, my training, and what I bring to my training..including my common sense...to bet my life upon it.

17. SoCalNative

"Smokey, This Isn't 'Nam ... There Are Rules."

El Maldito,

Greetings. I was actually referring to current music and dance trends (from Filipino folk, to American standard, to old Rock both American and Filipino), not so much traditional tribal dances or the kulintang. If you're studying a Filipino martial art, chances are it came from the Visayas. If it came from the Visayas, it came from Cebu; if it came from the island of Cebu, it came from Cebu City (or atleast was influenced by this city, since it was the hub). It's been a really long time since Cebuanos did tribal dances to the beat of the kulintang.

My point is that most of the old manongs from Cebu were dancers and musicians first, and their martial arts was incidental. Cebuanos are known for knowing how to live life. From the old manongs of Cebu, whether the ones who stayed or left for California and Hawaii, they were all about wine, women and song. Manong Juan LaCoste and the other manongs who came to California were like this, from stories told.

They loved life so much that they insured a martial art that would protect it.

This, of course, is also an idealistic view of history (not unlike your "we are killers of old" view). But in fairness to the manongs that came before us, we should remember them for how much they loved life, not how much they loved to take it.

I appreciate your enthusiasm greatly, and you're right, the Filipinos have a rich martial history. But this is only a small portion of Filipino culture--much of Filipino culture is involved in living and enjoying life (not really about collecting the body parts of your enemies for trophy).

It's just not cool to think of the Philippines as a place where everyone's running around cutting each others nuts off and having them for BBQ.

p.s.-- My mother's side is from Bongao, Tawi-Tawi, but she was raised in Cebu. So although I know what that side of my family is capable of, which in some sick way I too am actually proud of, I'm not going to make a big deal about it--because in the end I wasn't there.

18. SoCalNative

Sir,

I liked your original post, before you took it down.

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I believe this. How else could they hope to make a living?

For those of us who think "eskrima" when we hear "Philippines" it's too easy to get a one-dimensional view! I know that after years of karate/judo/iaido that when I think of Japan only one image comes to mind...and it isn't Mt. Fuji. But I absolutely agree that we should guard against this tunnel-vision viewpoint. When I meet Filipinos they rarely know much about their indigenous martial arts, when it's all I want to talk about. But there's also food, languages, sports, ...

20. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Thanks ...but while rereading it I came to the conclusion that my words might some how flame a tet' atet. Truth is self evident for all people and many people find it pertinent to label themselves something. The quotes (which are my thoughts) hold my words just fine. One may have to stop and ponder and perhaps even think. With respects

PG Mike B
    BaHad ZuBu KI
    WESTERN HQ
    SATX