Yaw Yan and Jidokwan

Discussion in 'General' started by Zoongidee, May 18, 2007.

1. Zoongidee

Zoongidee New Member

I was born to a dad who is was an ex-martial artist. I think the first style he learned was Jidokwan. He later when into Kickboxing and then stopped all of that and became a firefighter. He also taught himself filipino fighting. He got me into martial arts after an negative event happened to me, which was taekwondo. Little did I know it wasn't a good dojo so my dad took me out of it. He then started teaching me some Jidokwan. I'm still learning from him but it's not complete. I've also grown to liking kickboxing, and almost went into Muay Thai. But I had a feeling that their is something else that would suit me better since as much as I do like punching and kicking, my legs are my strongest attack qualities right now. Then I searched and found about Yaw Yan. After reading about it in Wikipedia, and the ArDigma sight amoung others, I had a liking towards it. My only problem is that i'm in Wisconsin and their is no gyms for Yaw Yan around here. -_- I asked around on Myspace to those who have trained under it but they said that their are only practitioners but no gyms about it. So i'm hoping that I could get a video from a practicioner from here of all the punches and kicks from Yaw Yan. I know their is about 50somthing kicks in that style and, I think, 12 bolo punches from that style but I would greatly appreciate it since I can't find a live source where I am now. -_- Also any practitioners of Jidokwan could do the same, that would be nice too. Thanks in advance.

P.S. What's a bolo punch? I never heard of it before and i don't know the visualization of its difference from a regular punch.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I learned a bolo punch as a sort of uppercut--like an upward stick strike (reverse #1 or 12 in Modern Arnis).

Sorry, I don't know much about Yaw-Yan!

3. shootodog

shootodog New Member

search youtube.com burungkol posted many vids of yy.

4. kaliador

kaliador New Member

Sorry but I don't understand...
    Taekwondo bad, Jidokwan good? Jidokwan is a family style of Taekwondo....

5. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

As far as a bolo punch imagine swinging your arm up from its normal hanging position and hitting primarily with the closed palm of the hand.

6. MTH

MTH New Member

watch videos of roy jones junior. he often uses the bolo punch. it´s a punch with announcment and hits with surprise effect.

7. Zoongidee

Zoongidee New Member

I didn't mean Taekwondo was bad, I ment that they were teaching it like it was a movie style. They had good escrima but my dad didn't like their way of teaching the style, a bit too mcdojo is what i'm trying to say. And correct me if i'm wrong, since Taekwondo has been familiar with many movies, I've heard from a person who said he heard this from "resourceful" sites and great martial artists that Taekwondo has alot of usless moves, thus making it a bad style. I just want to get the history of that style from you guys. I know of the fact that, like weapons, it's not the style that makes the fighter, it's the fighter himself. His thoughts about it made me want to prove him wrong about what he said.

8. junior eskrimador

junior eskrimador Expect the Unexpected

Don't know to much of Tae kwon do but I did some research and found it interesting. Tae kwon do came from a long linage of Korean Martail Arts. Correct me if I'm wrong but as I remember Tae Kwon do has soft and hard styles. One being traditional and Olympic style. That is what I researched on the web.

Everyone ask me what is the best style out there. My responds, it's not the art that makes the person, it's the person that makes the art. There are 2 types of Martial Artist, one that competes in sparring and the other in forms. Both are great but each uses their skills differently.

And for Yaw Yan, I had never heard of it before until I met an instructor from the Philippines (PI). He demostrated the kicks and punches and I think it's awesome. I too did some research and found none Yaw Yan in the U.S. but ours. The school is very fortunate to have an Eskrima and Yaw Yan Master from PI.

Research on Youtube.com and you'll find some vids of Yaw Yan and it's history on the web.