WWE vs. MMA!

Discussion in 'The Den' started by arnisador, Dec 2, 2007.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

WWE and mixed martial arts in grudge match

Wrestling company expanding as rival's popularity soaring

I read this in the Wall Street Journal, then saw it again in today's Chicago Tribune. I hadn't thought that there was such an issue here, though some people think there could be a synergy:

2. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Well, Vince has had great success when he's branched out. I mean, The World Body Building Federation's going strong, oh wait, that folded. Well, anyone catch the latest XFL game? Oh wait, they only lasted 1 season. Well, he's still got WWE Films. His wrestling shows are facing congressional investigation, and plummeting ratings. Long gone are the high scores of the Monday Night Wars. Any attempt by Vinnie Mac to enter the MMA scene will flop big time.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I kind of hoped the XFL would succeed. Not because of him, but just because I think that competition is healthy there.

I certainly anticipate the WWE moving closer to MMA. Their matches are nearly faked-MMA already!

4. Bob Hubbard

True. Used to be more judo based, but its gone more gymnastics and mma-like the last few years. When they can fit a match in between interviews, pranks, bad plot development and of course, TnA. Not to be confused with TNA who used t actually wrestle but now wanna be just like VinnieMacAttack.

Yeah, I miss the days where they'd put on 60-90 minutes in the ring and have you wondering who would win. :( (even though I knew it was preplanned)

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I know what you mean. Still, I have to believe their market research is accurate and that the talk sells (or, whatever became of the music videos on MTV?).

6. Bob Hubbard

If their research was that spot on, they wouldn't be struggling in the low 3's in the ratings.

Then again, add WWE scripting to MMA fights.... Who could resist the idea of Shamrock fighting to restore his ravaged mothers honor, or [SIZE=-1]Barnett in a necrophilia angle, or them actually bringing real weapons into the ring like sledge hammers and barbed wire wrapped ball bats, or 90 year old topless ring announcers! Whoo Hoo!!!!

Yeah, I'm skeptical. The attraction of MMA was hard bodied, oiled sweaty real men rolling around on the mat in a cage -without- the circus trappings. (oh wait, that sounds soooo gay. LOL!)
    [/SIZE]