Wrapping Sticks?

Discussion in 'General' started by arnisador, Nov 21, 2005.

1. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

What kind of tape does everyone use? Before Durattan I used to bake on electrical tape. I noticed it gave a hard shell to the stick. The other thing I have recently see is shrink wrap.

Gruhn

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I use renfro cloth hockey tape. I have used in the past just
    about everything else but definately I like the renfro hockey
    tape the best.

Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I usually use plain old electrical tape. It doesn't last very well, but it's cheap and easy to find.

4. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Our group used to use the cloth tape as Brian is speaking of. The only problem I found is that it deteriorates over time. So if for some reason you don’t use your sticks for a few years it starts to fall apart. That has never been a problem for me but for a few people I know that just recently got back into stick work, it was like breaking out a mummy to train with. In any event, have you guys found that wrapping the sticks before the sticks start to blow out is better than after? I have always “retread” mine after they start to fray because I love the smell of burning rattan.

Gruhn

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, any more I don't do it until I notice wear because I do like naked rattan. I'm sur ethey'd last longer if I wrapped them first.

6. Dalum

Dalum New Member

I've never done anything but wrap my sticks even when they are brand new. It gives those that like to personalize their stuff a bit of their own flair. I'm not talking about Paris Hilton, jewel encrusted crap, but more of colored electrical tape and hockey tape. I don't know about how it is everywhere else, but I get people VERY territorial about other people touching their sticks or accidentally taking one home that isn't theirs. This helps keep that stuff all in check.

When I replied to this on MT, I mentioned that I do the top half in 1-2 layers of electrical and the bottom half with hockey tape with the spiral grip.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I always put my initials on the butt of the stick for identification purposes. But, that is indeed more prone to error than customized wrapping!

8. Brian R. VanCise

Yes the cloth hockey tape will deterioate over time however for me
    at least that is not a problem at all. If it gets to a point where
    I think a certain stick needs rewrapping then I just rewrap it. I like
    to wrap just at the beginning signs of deterioration.

Brian R. VanCise

9. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Here is the next question everyone,
    How much wrapping is too much? Where do you draw that line of having too much "thud"?

Gruhn

10. Brian R. VanCise

With cloth hockey wrapping, I personally do not think that
    it makes really any noticeable differance. That is just my
    opinion.

Brian R. VanCise

11. bart

bart New Member

I think two or three times around with the tape is my limit. After that you start to lose the fine tuned feel of the impact which I feel is very important for sensitivity training.

My sticks generally don't last too long averaging about 3 weeks to a month, sometimes less sometimes more. The banging from sinawali, tirework, and abecedario takes its toll. I get to wrap them once or twice usually and just about when they begin to thud they either snap or turn to powder at the point of impact and are reduced to training daggers.

12. Boar Man

Boar Man New Member

As a way to try and extend the use of my sticks I use the following progression.

I use raw rattan until it starts to fray and then wrap it with athletic tape. Then I use that part I just wrapped as my handle until the other end starts to blow out. Then I wrap it.

Then I use these sticks for heavy striking practice and use a less damaged pair (or single stick) for disarming, striking and feeding drills, releasing techniques etc. etc. These wrappeed sticks also become the ones I give new students, friends etc. etc. to use. And in time when they really get blown out then I cut them and use them for short stick practice, or as practice knives etc.etc. as I throw away the blown out portion.

So I generally have several different pairs of sticks in bag at any given time in various stages of being wrappped or unwrapped.

I had one student who used shrink wrap on his sticks, he was in avionics and he had access to the material. But I think this woould add some real bounce to his sticks.

Mark

13. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

I've been using clear tape made for taping hockey pads on my sticks for a while now and it works really great.
    It keeps the stick looking like rattan and doesn't bleed glue like electrical tape does after it starts to get ratty.

14. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

I have used duct tape and hockey tape before.I bought some tapes from a guy at a seminar once and he had the oiled and put a weather protecting coating on them.I have done that with some of my sticks.I am going to buy 2 of those durrattan sticks and see how they are.