World Cup Nov 18, 2006

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by James Miller, Oct 30, 2006.

1. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

The 2006 World Cup will be November 18, 2006 in Toronto Canada. Team USA information is as follows:
    HMA - Horizon Martial Arts

Looking forward to seeing you there!

2. oosh

oosh Junior Member

How many nations are participating ?

3. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

I know that the posted US team is going and I will be going (I am from Canada) when I talked to one of the directors on the phone she mentioned that there is interest from other countries as well.it should be a fun event I am looking forward to it.I am looking forward to the stick fighting part of the tournament and meeting people that train in the FMA.

4. ricthedic

ricthedic -== Banned ==-

Well Ron what system of arnis do you train in?How many years? have you fought before?

5. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

hi Ric I train in Modern Arnis.I have trained in Modern Arnis for just over 2 years.I have trained in other martial arts before.I mentioned some of this in this thread.
    http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=1154
    this will be my first stick fighting competition

6. ricthedic

ricthedic -== Banned ==-

Good Luck Ron B, dont think react, dont fight the stick,fight the person! Please let me know how you did,I love stickfighting its awesome! Hopefully ill be good at it some day!

7. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

thanks Ric
    I will pm you how I did martial arts are all good hopefully I will be good at stickfighting one day as well.

8. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

hi Ric might as well tell you how I did on this thread.I lost my first fight.think I scored 2 points and he scored at least 8.I had friends that watched the fight and taped it as well.3 things that I did wrong was that I reached when I struck which allowed my opponent to counterattack.I also tried to go for leg shots after only attacking high once.the other thing I did wrong was I did not cut the angles enough when I moved this is something that I have been working on and I will continue to work on.
    2 other things also come to mind and this can only be fixed by competing more one is that I have to get used to a ref being in the ring and that I need more experience in competitions to get better we never train in point sparring only continous sparring so that is different as well.I had a good time competeting the people who put on the tournament were good people and the other competitors were good as well.I made some connections for people that I can train with and have found out about another tournament that I will go to.I will be back and I will get better.

9. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Hey Ron,

Was there any live stick fighting?

Greg

10. kellygemini12

kellygemini12 -== Banned ==-

Hey! Ron B as long as you had fun thats all that counts! If you have a teacher let him tell you, how you did,dont try to fix things you dont understand! You have so much to learn take your time! This art is long to learn if taught right! If you ever get to the states let me know,we can train together! I have a great teacher! Anyhow glad you had fun keep training! Someday you will be great with the right training! You probably fought some people I know from NJ, Brian,Patrick,David,from American Arnis Academy in NJ

11. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

hi Greg there was no live stick fighting in this competition.Kelly i did not fight anyone from NJ but there was a guy that was from NJ and he says he lives in PY now.he is a big guy must have played some football when he was younger he did really well in the over 35 div.

12. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

Unfortunately he drew team USA’s player-coach, Datu Tim Hartman in the first round. I’ve seen more experienced players do worse against him. Ron, keep up the good work!

13. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

I can only move up James I sent Datu Tim a PM hope you guys will come down here for some training after that I should get my passport and I can cross the river and come over to see you guys

14. bladesaint

bladesaint New Member

Was this guy a big Hawaiian looking gentleman with a big smile on TeamUSA who took 3rd?

15. bladesaint

bladesaint New Member

I see that he was referring to Datu Tim Hartman...Never mind! : )

16. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

What's up Mel?