WMAA Programs question for Datu Tim

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by jwinch2, Nov 29, 2009.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Datu Tim,

While we are on the subject of Modern Arnis, can you give a synopsis or rundown of what the "modules" or "training programs" within the WMAA are all about? For example, you have Modern Arnis and Kombaton listed which make perfect sense. However, you also have Progressive Sword concepts, a panantukan Pananjanman, BC (don't know what that stands for), TUSK, EDT, etc. I have been exposed to some of the EDT module as well some of the T.U.S.K. material through John Bailie and at one of your seminars, but I was hoping you could expand on the purpose of having those listed as separate programs and briefly illustrate each one specifically.

For those reading the thread that may not be familiar with what I am referring to, here is a link to the page. LINK

Thanks in advance.

Galang,

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

When I teach in my school, I teach the entire MA curriculum. When I’m on the road, I will teach sections of the system based on what people are looking for. Modern Arnis and Kombatan are the belt driven programs. The modules are theme based sub programs. The programs are as follow:

• BC: Balintawak Concepts
    • EDT: Edged Weapon Defensive Tactics (unarmed knife defense)
    • Mano Y Daga: Offensive knife fighting (Filipino knife fighting)
    • Panantukan – Pananjakman: Street Boxing & Kick Boxing
    • PSC: Progressive Sword Concepts
    • TUSK: Tactical Use of Stick & Knife (Offensive use of stick & knife LE/Military use)

The core of these programs is based on MA, but may have other influences. All of these programs earn you credit towards certification. These modules are great for those who want only certain elements of the system. For those who are studying the system, it gives you an opportunity to train material by family grouping.

I hope this was helpful.

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Very much so. Thanks for the quick response!

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We see that a lot--people who want arnis for only a particular weapon(s). Giving them that can be one to let them start seeing what else is out there, little by little, and then they may open up to the empty-hand material too!