WMAA Camp 2006.

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by arnisador, Jun 5, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

My son and I had a great time at this year's WMAA training camp in West Seneca, NY. Once again Tim Hartman and Janice Stranc have put on a top-notch event! I have no notes in front of me, so please forgive me if I get the order of some sessions wrong, or even omit one. It was a busy weekend!

We arrived after the start of the camp due to work obligations and so missed the first two technical sessions, as well as the previous night's business seminar. There was a good turnout, with people coming from both the U.S. and Canada, including a large group from the U. of Penn., and the participants had already taken advantage of two presentations by this time (and, for some, the business seminar). I understand that Sensei Kimura--a local legend who ran a popular martial arts supply store for many years and teaches Shorinji Kempo and Kendo--taught a pressure point seminar that apparently was both enlightening and painful, and that Rick Manglinong followed with more of his popular double-stick work. I arrived in time for dinner, followed by a wonderful martial arts marketing seminar by NAPMA president Rob Colasanti. His sessions were very popular with school owners and club operators. Mr. Hartman rounded out the evening with single stick work, starting with basic block-check-counter ideas and progressing to more sophisticated aborts, with a brief detour for obstruction removal. After the last session, people moved back to the hotel or to a late dinner or snack.

Saturday morning brought another session with Mr. Colasanti. He continued the theme of building a martial arts business, moving from the previous day's focus on marketing to ideas aimed more at retention. To get this much business information, including personalized consulting after the session, was a great deal for the school owners present and was clearly appreciated. Then Paul Janulis led a session on the bolo. Although the topic was nominally sword work, in fact he led us through drills that could be used with any weapon (including no weapon) and that trained attributes that many other drills don't train. His description of what was missing in most training and what was needed struck home with me on one point in particular--my son also pointed out that this was missing from our training--and I have assured Mr. Janulis that I will be stealing this drill immediately. (He knows which one I mean and can say more if he wishes.) He was followed by another FMATalk member, Roger Agbulos, who had graciously PMed me prior to the camp and asked if there was anything I particularly wanted to see. (He had read some of my posts in our Lameco forum.) So, this post led to a session on largo stick-sparring that began with a demonstration of the effectiveness of the method in an inpromptu sparring match between Mr. Agbulos and a volunteer (in the Army sense of the word) from the group, and continued with drills and discussion. Mr. Agbulos' combination of showing that it worked and explaining why it worked made for an excellent class. The geometry of it all really appealed to me! I look forward to trying out his non-telegraphic, efficient approach, which will require only a change of attitude for me, not technique.

We broke for the traditional Chinese buffet lunch, then returned for Rick Manglinong's session on classical arnis. I was forced to miss most of it due to administrative concerns--it's something of a standing joke that I always happen to get pulled away during Mr. Manglinong's sessions, but I don't find it at all funny as I have attended his sessions when possible and find them very enlightening. My son assured me that it was a very good session, with a mix of stick and empty-hand techniques. Mr. Hartman closed out the afternoon session with empty-hand applications, including applications from trapping hands--reminding people once again that Modern Arnis is modern in part because of its all-around approach to self-defense.

Saturday evening brought the traditional in-school buffet. The food was good, the conversation was spirited, and people were still there chatting until after midnight. I stick-sparred Mr. Hubbard with the SMAK-Stiks--we used buckler-style shields as well, for variety--then my son did the same. He also sparred Mr. Hartman (stick only). However, most people talked, played with the weapons and other equipment, and so on.

Sunday morning started with Mr. Agbulos, who had solicited input from the group and decided to go with knife techniques. Much of it focused on progressions for relatively close-in knife-to-knife work, but he also covered empty hand defenses. His approach is different from the Modern Arnis approach--in many cases, much closer in--and I really benefitted from a detailed introduction to another way of doing things. He was followed by Mr. Hartman who taught a session on the Balintawak system that influenced Prof. Presas' development of Modern Arnis. As usual, the highly effective Balintawak approach to stick-dueling was very popular with everyone, and Mr. Hartman's organization of the material made it possible for people to learn and take with them so new ideas. After closing out the session and getting lunch, I understand that Mr. Hartman worked with the U. of Penn. group further, though we had to leave not long after the last session.

Thanks as always to Tim Hartman and Janice Stranc for all they do to make this event such a big success. This includes not only the things you'd expect, but little things like arranging discounts not only at a local hotel but also at a nearby restaurant for camp participants. On a personal note, they once again picked us up from the airport, dropped us back off, and put us up at their house for a night in between. They are wonderful hosts. Thanks to the instructors for their time, effort, and enthusiasm: Roger Agbulos, Rob Colasanti, Paul Janulis, Kimura Sensei, Tim Hartman, and Rick Manglinong. Although I missed Mr. Kimura, who had obligations elsewhere after Friday, the weekend's instructors were very generous with their time and knowledge after their sessions as well as during them. I made new friends and got to see old ones. I'm already looking forward to next year!

2. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Some Photos

Jeff's review is alot more indepth than I can write. :)
    It was a very good camp, lots of solid information, great fellowship and training.

I spent much of the camp doing photo and video work. Here are a few of the pics. I'll have more up soon :)

Attached Files:

3. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

A few more

Attached Files:

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Regarding post #2, and numbering as follows:
    1 2
    3 4

you're looking, in photo 1, at Rick Manglinong attacking a pressure point on Rob Colasanti as Janice Stranc watches. In photo 2, the instructor, Sensei Kimura, attacks Paul Janulis. Photo 3 has the same particpants as photo 1. In photo 4, Jason ?, a graduate student in biology at the U. of Penn. and head of the U. of Penn. group, is on the left, with Tim Hartman on the right. Other Ivy Leaguers are seen in the background. In photo 5, Steve Scott (in cap) and Canadian Craig ? are working during Paul Janulis session; I am seen as the cut-off person on the right in the background.

In post #3, and numbering as follows:
    1 2
    3 4

in photo 1 we see members of the U. of Penn. group with SMAK-Stiks in the foreground, with my son centered in the back section (with his right foot on the blue section of the mat); I am in the right-rearmost spot. In photo 2, we have the same particpants as in Post #2, photo 4. In photo 3, we have Rick Manglinong on the left and members of the U. of Penn. group arrayed around him; in photo 4, Roger Agbulos is on the left, hamming for the camera as usual!

5. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

My Review...

This is posted in other places; but I will post it here as well! - Paul

6. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

Thanks also for the review Jeff. More of a Chronological play by play which was nice. It was good to meet your son too; nice kid.

Paul

7. Mono

Mono Member

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the Reviews of the Camp!
    Sounds like you all had a great time...

How many people were there at the Camp?
    Was it mainly Instructors and/or Blackbelts or also Beginners to Advanced Students?
    Were there people from other Arts then Modern-Arnis (besides some of the Instructors)?
    Where did all the Participants come from? (Maybe a little more detailed then USA & Canada ;) )?

Hope someone can give some information on this as well...

Thanks a lot!

Yours,
    Mono

8. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

From what I remember:

It was a little more tightly knit of a group then usual; so just about everyone was an advanced student or an instructor. I don't remember there beig anyone completely "green" at this particular event. I don't know the final count, but it looked like there were over 20 attendants.

There were some people from other arts among instructors, but most attendants did Modern Arnis as their base system.

There were people from all over; Canada, Michigan, New York, Indiana, Philidalphia, and California to name a few; I am sure I am missing some places. There wasn't the international flair that I have seen in the past, but Datu Tim does make it out to Europe every year so some of the WMAA international members get training opportunities that way.

So, hopefully that helps! :)

Paul

9. Mono

Mono Member

Thanks a lot for the Info! :)

Yours,
    Mono

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks to Mr. Janulis for the review!

I notice in mine things I forgot to mention, like Mr. Hartman's espada y daga teachings...I should have taken notes!

11. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

Yea....I hear you. A camp like that covers so many things that it is easy to forget stuff when writing a review.

Like the important role of camp mascot that my dog Cerberus played, for a example... ;) lol

12. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

Sounds like a really good camp. Any plans for a Summer 2007 camp?

13. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

June 8 - 10, 2007.

14. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

thanks

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'll be there! I will be back in August too for the instructor's camp (probably alaone this time).

Mr. Janulis' dog is very well-behaved. He's always welcome!

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member