Wing Chun and MA?

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by Fiddlesticks, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks New Member

Wondering if anyone studies Wing Chun in addition to their Modern Arnis training, and how you think the two arts complement each other. I know the trapping hands component to both arts is similar, but what about the movements, stepping, etc? I'm really very curious.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I studied it for nearly a year (and get similar stuff through JKD) and find it very complementary. The formal footwork doesn't match as well for me, but the trapping hands and the short-range strikes that don't require me to sacrifice position are great.

I find I tend to "block the block" more than the WC people I have worked with, who only pak sao if actually blocked, whereas I'll grab the hand as it tries to do the block. But I know different WC people do this different ways.

3. Bobby135

Bobby135 Junior Member

I found that it compliments very well. I studied under a teacher who taught Wing Chun and Modern Arnis in more of a combined format. The 2 blended very well and often times you would interchange and not even realize it. Unfortunately I have not been able to continue classes, as work and school have taken up the majority of my time.

4. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Datu Worden has a really good video on integrating Wing Chun and Modern Arnis called "Filipino Bridging Hands"

5. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks New Member

As common as it is, I had forgotten the JKD/Kali connection. Since JKD has its roots in WC, it only makes sense.

Thanks. I'll check that out.