will this headgear work for FMA?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by Seidogirl, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Seidogirl

Seidogirl New Member

I have the headgear pictured below that I use for karate. Do you think it would be OK to use this for FMA? I think I might be better off with a hockey helmet since I'm not convinced the foam will absorb the force of a stick hitting me on the head too well. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Unless that grill has a plastic shield I can't make out in the picture, it looks like too much room for a stick to get in to the face...the grill can have the perverse effect of guiding in a strike that would have bounced off and making it worse than with no helmet.

3. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I used the same one in sparing once, I got wacked in the head through the hole of the foam[​IMG]. No, i don't think it would work.

4. Seidogirl

Seidogirl New Member

Yikes! Thanks for letting me know. I'll just go get me a hockey helmet.

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Depends on if you're using padded sticks such as an Actionflex stick. The foam will cover it, but you'd still need a better face shield, or you'd really have to work on your defense.

6. James

James Crescent City Eskrima

In a word, "No".

7. WT_ATL

WT_ATL Member Supporting Member

If your using padded sticks, I recommend changing out the grill with a plastic shield. This is what most of the competitors in the tournaments we sponsor wear.

[FONT=&quot]
    Here are some videos of some of the competitions. I'll be posting several more videos in a few weeks http://www.smakstiks.com/media.php
    [/FONT]

8. Seidogirl

Seidogirl New Member

We do use smak stiks, but we also use rattan sticks and fake knives, so I think the plastic shields you show in your videos would work better than a hockey helmet. Where do you get those helmets shown in the videos?

9. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Where do you train?

10. Skubysnak

Skubysnak New Member

Other sites say that hockey helmets move around too much.

11. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

If a hockey helmet is moving around, then its a bad fit. As anyone that grew up playing hockey knows ;) :D a hockey helmet should fit snugly.

A hockey helmet should fit as precisely as a good pair of skates...or shoes, for that matter. Much like you wouldn't see a hockey player in skates that are too large, you also wouldn't see one in a helmet that is too big.

Same rule applies to using a hockey helmet for martial arts. It serves the same purpose, to protect the head from flying projectiles and swingin' sticks. The same care should be used to ensure a proper fit. :)

12. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

I prefer the Hockey Helmet. I did grow up playing Ice Hockey and know for a fact that they work for small sticks as long as you do not allow thrusting or punyo to the face. Back of the head is OK.

Do not use large sticks though! The helmet will break!

We train with large sticks and fight with small ones.

A fencing mask is good,too, but you have to get used to looking through the mesh. There are some good ones out there. Google - Stickfighting fencing mask.

God Bless,
    Stephen

13. poidog

poidog New Member

Unless there is a clear face shield under that black grid, I'd say definitely not. A good thrust to the face won't be stopped and you'll be suffering for it. I still say the humble fencing mask is some of the best headgear out there. The current generation "3 weapon" masks are pretty heavy duty and will protect you through all but the most brutal of shots.

Aloha, Poi

14. DonKey

DonKey New Member

one of the problems I've encountered in sparring is the reduced field of view from masks, does anyone know of a mask that offers good protection but has a good opening to see through?