Wikipedia Entries for Modern Arnis.

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by arnisador, Oct 19, 2005.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Wikipedia is an online encycoledia that anyone can edit. Despite the potential for abuses, it's become a very popular resource; I often see it quoted as an information source in the newspaper and in online discussions.

There are Wikipedia entries for Modern Arnis and for Remy Presas, as well as a few other Modern Arnis related topics and many other FMA topics. I've modified both of these pages; in fact, I created the latter one. But, both of them need much, much more info.! Please consider modifying them, and creating new entries on relevant matters.

If anyone has difficulty using the system, I can make edits for them. But it's worth learning how to do it yourself. You don't need an account, but it does make for some convenience if you do have one.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Please, someone update these very incomplete entries!

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've significantly modified the Modern Arnis entry. Please, check it for me!

4. Mono

Mono Member

Nice Work there :)

I was just wondering what Organisation uses the 11th Dan???

I ve herad of such Rank in other FMA Systems (I believe Doce Pares) as well as jap. Ninjustu... but never within the MA Family.

Mybe you coul also add some Info on the Student Ranking!?
    (The way I would Post it is taking the "original" Ranking System the Professor described in his "Blue Book" and add a note, that most organisations today use different Coloring Systems, closer related to the Japanese Arts (maybe to make it better compareable to the better known japanese Systems!?)

Yours,
    Mono

P.S. About the Size of the Organisations: I was just wondering how many Members some of the US or other Intl. Organisations have since you mentioned us (the DAV) as the "Largest"...

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Some of what is there was written by others; I think the intention was to list the DAV as among the largest, not necessarily the largest.

Some orgs. still use the lakan ("zeroth degree black belt") and then lakan 1 through 10. Some Japanese and other styles use a probationary black belt in this way, though I don't think the Modern Arnis version was considered probationary or temporary. I was a lakan for 3 years before becoming a lakan isa!

Belt colors vary for the lower ranks, but we could add something. I don't have my books with me while traveling though, so if I do it it'll have to wait for the summer.

6. Datu Dieter

Datu Dieter Junior Member

DAV never claimed that. But it certainly belongs to the largest.

I have edited the DATU part of the history in Wikipedia, according to the correct order and roughly the year, in which the Datu title was awarded by the Professor.

Regards

Dieter

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks! All help is appreciated. Were the last two awarded in 2000, not 2001?

Also, I think an entry for you is still needed, isn't it? Is there a bio. of you available that is not copyrighted that could be put in there?

8. Mono

Mono Member

I know there is one here:

http://www.quick-stick.de/quickstickneu/html/knuttel__dieter.html

I am not sure about copyrights - so I would wait for Dieters and/or Alfreds approval ;)

Yours,
    Mono

9. Datu Dieter

Hi Arnisador.

I think it was not very long before Remy died. So I think in spring 2001. But I am not sure. Ask Tim when he got it, he should know.
    Alos I am not sure, when the first 3 were awarded. I think Kelly got it in 1984 or 5, but I am not sure. I am very sure, that all 3 were in the 80ies and I know that I was the 4th after about 10 yers, where he dod not award the title.

Regards

Dieter

10. Datu Dieter

I have send you 3 PNs with information. If there are any more questions, please let me know.

Dieter

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks! Discussion continued here.

Many other Modern Arnis practitioners have no or sparse entries--please, everyone, feel free to edit! Don't forget to update the corresponding entries on Martialpedia.com too!