Why You Chose Dog Brothers?

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by The Phalanx, Nov 16, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

What are your guys reasons for the ones who do DBMA to join them?

I have many reasons... When I first joined FMA I have always been fascinated with the Dog Brothers... I didn't have no idea that there was a DBMA Clan here in Hawai'i... So I got an invite to join them when I left my old school... My first day with DBMA was probably the most excruciating exercise I have ever had in FMA... They covered so many aspects and it just blew my mind... They went from Kali, then Krabi Krabong, then Muay Thai, then back to Kali again... And the Hawai'i Clan are very skilled fighters, each has their own specialty... I gotta say though, on my first day, I fell in love with DBMA... The way that they use different aspects of MAs and use FMA as a base is a great way to make one an all-around fighter...

I still have a long ways to go to reach the level these guys are in but I have never been so motivated to make myself better in FMA... They truly has set a higher standard for me and I am determined to reach those standards...

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

So few people are near a real DBMA group...most people won't have a chance to even try it!

3. The Phalanx

True, I'm very fortunate to train with the likes of the Hawai'i Clan... I like their approach on training... Plus I like the very loose atmosphere... We don't have to watch our mouths and can make any remark we feel like or worry about old traditions... Just no non-sense combat training...

But if noone can train with a DBMA group, they can always buy the DVDs at www.dogbrothers.com

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

If you didn't have traditions, you wouldn't have anything to train. All of us at one time or another has bad mouthed the traditions and have been badmouthed by people who live by the traditions.. If you never have been to the Philippines and trained in the traditional manners of old, you are missing a lot of the traditional training with all the subtleness that they offer.

This is one thing that I keep harping on, if you haven't left the area where you are training currently and gone to the source of your chosen art and experienced it there, you are missing out on a big part of the whole package.. Even Crafty went to the Philippines a few years back and trained with Tuhon Gaje during a camp/gathering that was done in 1996 or later...

My statement to close this is: If you haven't experienced the training as it is done in the Philippines, then why slam traditions. Tis better to keep your mouth closed if you haven't experienced it then to open it up and look like a fool because you don't know.

Nuff said

5. The Phalanx

I don't diss tradition...Our training came from it... Personally, I stay away from it... For many reasons... I'd rather not say why so it won't create more onflict in this site...

I would like to experience the training there one day... Then again having been raised there I have my reasons why I would not...

You have to understand from my point of view of it... Martail Arts is not my main focus in life... Granted it is a good hobby but as far as taking it way too seriously like how some have by making it their focus in life I can't do that...

I have a business to run, another business to open up, I have college, I have this, and a number of other things... As you can see, I don't have time for traditions or involving in political MA BS...

If people want to involve themselves in it, then whatevers... I'm not gonna get mad by it... I prefer to just train...

6. "Traditonally" here in the Philippines they never used padding.

My Master is disdainful of the padded stick but we still use it to hone our sparring skills - without padding. He gears us towards live stick - no padding.

That sounds like a tradition you might like being an aspiring "Dog Brother" and all...:)

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Martial arts isn't my main focus in life either.. But it's something that I can rely on in my job as a cop here on island.. I've been a consultant for international companies, security operative, military medic,contracting representative, medical items rep for numerous companies including some in the mainland and ran my own business when I had my import/export business dealing with companies within the Pacific region.. I've been in the martial arts for more than 40 yrs, taught for various base organizations for more than 33 yrs, ran 3 schools myself and I still had time for full time college.. It is called time management.. You have to develope the ability to prioritize your time so where you can still have time to train with the specific system that you want to train... A day without martial arts training in some type or another is a day that you will miss in your progression for preparing yourself when your martial arts skills are needed in a situation.. This to me is tradition and my training is part of my daily tradition.

Nuff said

8. Sisco T.

Sisco T. New Member

i enjoy DBMA because, for me, it encompasses both the ''martial'' and the ''art'' parts in martial arts.

Francisco

9. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

I chose DBMA because I already came from an "eclectic" background and had a solid background in the FMA through Kelly Worden. I wanted to find a good group of people, a place where politics of "this system versus that system" wouldnt be a factor and after training with the guys IMHO I dont think I could have found a better group of guys. Mike and the guys are great guys \ teachers \ friends \ brothers. They all inspire me to get better.

Now this isnt to say that I dislike or think less of the other Hawaii schools. I have met some great people but this seems to fit the best for me. I enjoy learning from Master Ron England of the Ola'a Nalo System, Donald Mendoza and Lee Manibog from Tobosa and other people I have meet along the way, everyone has been great.

10. The Phalanx

I inspire you Rob? Wow, I feel all warm and mushy inside... Could be the mashed potatoes and KFC chicken though... lol

11. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Woof All:

Arnisador posted about people who are not near DBMA Training Groups. Please forgive me a moment of shameless marketing, but there is always the option of the Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association. For more info, see the third option at
    http://www.dogbrothers.com/pages/articles_wheredoibegin.html

Concerning the matter of "tradition": Speaking for myself, (and as Head Instructor of DBMA) I have found tremendous value in traditional training methods.
    For a thread on the subject of what some deride as "Tippy Tappy Drills" go to:
    http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=1186.0

The Adventure continues,
    Crafty Dog

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, there's nothing wrong with a little shameless marketing! It's news people can use.