Why Trainers Say, 'Slow Down'

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by arnisador, Sep 7, 2010.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Why Trainers Say, 'Slow Down'

2. WindyCityPTK

WindyCityPTK New Member

Slowing down in martial arts is important for a couple of reasons. and I'm sure other instructors could find more reasons.

1. to work precision of a technique or accurate targeting. Especially for us smaller people we need all the leverage we can get and learn how to double up our power. In footwork being off a little bit will through off your range and leverage and in Filipino Martial Arts dealing with the blade precise angulation is needed.

2. The other reason I want to mention is timing. It is important to have complete control of timing, to match time and then to break time but, never fight off time.

Once the timing is perfected and the technique is precise then it is time to work on developing speed. Funny thing is as long as one is disciplined to put this kind of work in, it really doesn't take so long. Definitely not as long as many people think.

Great topic to post on!

3. DeanR1977

DeanR1977 New Member

I agree with everything you just said :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

4. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Nice topic, when I was new to the martial arts and a kid I would see the instructors including the grandmaster working out and how slow they would go and I would think to my self these are very experianced martial artest so why are they moving so slow. Even when you see videos of GM Angel Cabales or other GM's they are moving slow so I asked my GM and he said you practice slow to do your moves perfectly practice does not make perfect perfect practice makes perfect and your muscles are learning so when the times is needed for speed you will already know where to go. Drills are ment to build speed, Now that I have been doing the art for a while I completley agree with this.

5. Mike Casto

Mike Casto New Member

Slow is smooth; smooth is fast

To elaborate from my own background on the points that have already been made.

A key component to functionality lies in proper form. We can hide problems with form in speed - even from ourselves.

If I focus on speed then I will get faster but, more than likely, I will get sloppy.

If, however, I move slowly and focus on my form then, over time, speed will develop organically and the form will still be there. I still feel like I'm going slowly, in fact, but I'm moving much faster with proper form which means I'll have *much* mower power and precision than I would otherwise.