Why is your system the best?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kali Cowboy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

There are so many systems out there. To a new student finding the right system for them can be mind boggling.

All systems have common threads.
    All systems do things differently, but accomplish the same thing.

Why is your system the best?

God Bless,
    Guro Stephen

2. geezer

geezer Member

The best for now...

For a long time I studied Rene Latosa's Combat Escrima. It was the best because it was simple, direct, powerful and real. Now I'm studying DTE -- Direct Torres Eskrima -- It's the best because it's helping me learn better ways to exploit angling and position, and also ways to borrow my opponent's power so I don't have to try and overpower him all the time. This helps because I'm not a big guy. I don't know what the next "best" will be, since I've got a lot to learn where I am!

3. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

garimot arnis is the best for me because of the consistent emphasis on keeping yourself safe. largo mano is the specialty of the system, because you're safest when your opponent can't reach you. we're taught to avoid medio (too dangerous), and the strategy in corto is to prevent the opponent from attacking through a control, lock, or disarm, to set up the finish right away. this is also where arnis blends with buno (wrestling), which is another component of the system. buno teaches us how to manipulate the opponent to shut down his attack, and gives us the sensitivity to be aware of the attack. hilot (healing) is the final component that allows us to stay healthy and safe by fighting illness and injury.

tim

4. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

You gentlemen put out some very interested reading,

The concepts and techniques of Garimot Arnis sound very similar to Dekiti-Tirsia Siradas. one thing I have enjoyed about GM Nene's system is learnig how to trap most effectively. I have notice that locking or grabbing an opponents limbs too tightly only telegraphs your intentions and makes it even harder to manipulate your opponent. My favorite attributes of DTS are the direct relationship to empty hand & grappling, closing the gap & finishing you opponent immediately, learning how to manipulate your opponents movements with very little effort, the combination or both hard & soft techniques and it's simpicity. Even though there are a limiless number of techniques, once you learn the concepts you're on your way.

Needless to say, I am very interested in other systems that have similar concepts and attributes. I have noticed that there is not just one system that fits me well, but a small handful of them.

God Bless, Mike

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Kamusta...BaHad ZuBu is best suited for me for many reasons.

1. It is simple
    2. It is aggressive
    3. It is direct
    4. It is rich with culture
    5. It has Master Yuli as my teacher
    6. It is fun
    7. It fits me well
    8. I simply love teaching it and training it...

outside of that what else is there....

peace, salaam, shalom

PG Mike

6. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Why do I feel Senkotiros is the best? It's simple, effective, and when you attend an event, be it a class, seminar, or dinner you feel like family! Grandmaster Pallen is an excellent instructor both on the mat and off.

7. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

Indiana Kali Silat Assoc. Hantu Kailat Headed by Guro Bruce Ogle

Is the right choice for me,

A) I've trained under him since 1986
    B) He's the closest and one of the top premiere instructors in the state
    C) It's very technicle and derived or rooted from many systems. Not just
    any 1 particular style.
    D) It's effective in all aspects of reality. From Sport to Combat to health
    purposes
    E) Over all It's what i've adopted as my own structure and works well for
    me.

Isara Escrima Serrada Headed by Guro Kim Satterfield

Although, I do not study this system anymore (due to travel and distance,time restraint) But what I learned from this man has changed the way I move, teach, train, and fight. We are still in contact daily via email and phone.

These two men are pretty much responsible for who I am today in Martial Arts... outside of that the only other influences were those from Seminars (which are too many to reflect on at this time)

8. tellner

tellner New Member

You want the real answer, the one that everyone secretly believes?

"It's the best because it's what I do."

That's what it really comes down to.

9. geezer

geezer Member

RE The best

Nah. A lot of people aren't satisfied with what they do. They are always looking for "the best". But you're right if you're saying that you gotta start by looking at yourself.

10. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Simple and COMBAT TESTED but you have to make it work for you.

11. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

that's backwards- i do it because it's best. there are also styles i train in (inosanto kali) that i don't believe are the best for me. when i find something better for me, i switch, or i add it.

tim

12. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Why is it the best?
    Simple....

The one liners and the sound effects.

If you don't have good sound effects than I want a refund.

Plus if you don't eat out afterwards I'm not sure if you can call it real FMA.

For me, FMA is laughter, food and the sharing of good company. If your doing that, then for me, that's the best...

That's something you remember and hold next to you years later....

13. scubamatt

scubamatt New Member

So far, Pekiti Tersia Kali is the best for me, considering the various different martial arts I have tried over my lifetime. I am very impressed with PTK.

Why? These are my opinions only, but you asked for them:
    1. It is a system, not a style. There are relatively few principles, but many applications of them. It has a simple, internal logic that can be extrapolated from basic to advanced technique.
    2. It is the first martial art that I've tried that places major emphasis on maneuver. In grunt terms, it is more 'skirmish' than 'frontal assault'. This is the hardest thing for me to adapt to, as well, as I am NOT used to that.
    3. It is based primarily on the use of weapons, and the empty hand techniques are derived from that use of weapons, not as a separate/stand alone set of techniques. You do the same basic moves, with a knife in your hand or empty handed.
    4. There is minimal 'mystic mumbo jumbo' - when I ask why we do something a certain way, there is always a practical and sensible reason, which can be immediately(and repeatedly) demonstrated to me. That means a lot to me, as I'm an engineer/skeptic at heart. (I also lived in Missouri for years, so you have to Show Me things.:coolyello )
    5. To me PTK has extra credibility because its taught to the Phillipine Marine Corps. I have served alongside a few filipino soldiers, and they were fine, tough troops. If the PMC has evaluated and adopted it, the system must work for them in their line of work. Since I've spent about half my life in the same line of work, it will probably serve as well for me as it does for them.
    6. It is a combat oriented system, not a sport oriented one. I do not wish to insult anyone who trains for sport, but I don't fight for sport. Neither do the bad guys.
    I do not know a lot about the other FMAs I see here on FMA Talk, though I pay attention to what people say about them. I'm pretty neutral (in attitude) towards all the other FMAs, because I haven't tried them and I don't think I'm qualified to say whether or not FMA XXX is better than FMA YYY. I don't think what is best for me is necessarily best for you, either. Everyone has different needs, everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. For me, however, the best choice is Pekiti Tersia Kali and I have had no regrets in choosing to train in PTK.

14. silat1

silat1 Active Member

The Filipino arts that work for me are as follows:

Balintawak- for it's explosiveness and directness in it's counteroffensive applications.

Sinko Tiros- for it's simplicity in delivery and angles of attack.

Baraw Defensa- for it's concentration on the use of the shorter knives in tactical applications.. The baraw defensa that I was taught was direct and hardcore in it's application as it was developed in the years preceeding, during and the following years of the second world war and has continually evolved in my training research.

Dekiti Tirsia Siradas- for it's ranging and knife/ginunting applications in the combatives environment and the teaching that GM Tortal has taught at numerous seminars and other gatherings throughtout the world for interested individuals.

When the fecal merde hits the oscillating mechanism, the systems flow
    together as has been proven in combat applications by myself and my students in the military and law enforcement applications.. Muscle memory and natural movement are primarily what is trained in FMA combatives that I teach and have been taught by people who I have been training with for decades.

Survival is the key and irregardless of the name of the system, what works when the chips are down, is what will take you home and be able to enjoy life with your significant other and family members

15. ChiefShangko

ChiefShangko New Member

The question that I have had to answer for over 40 years, is what is the best style of Escrima or any other martial arts in the world. Who is the best and why. The true answer can only come into play in a death match. The better person will walk away. There is no better style or fighter. Its up to the individual to mentally and physically prepare him/herself for battle. I have seen white belts beat black belts many times over. If it's your time you will win or loose. You must choose what is comfortable and effective for you then master it.

16. Banakun

Banakun New Member

I wouldn't say our system is the best since all systems have something unique to offer so best is a matter of opinion. But I like our system for the following reasons:

1. It's a System- All weapons and movements bladed or blunt, emptyhanded or not, revolve around the basic principles and strategies of tercia, serrada, cadenilla and espada y daga.
    2. It is simple and direct to the point, no fancy moves or complicated stuff. Hit if you can hit, block if you need to and hit again and again. Hit whatever you can, as hard as you can... Hit Fast, Hit Hard, Hit Accurately, Hit Many Times... Very practical in it's approach.
    3. It emphasizes Striking Power in everything we do.
    4. It emphasizes absolute control despite the power.
    5. It is beautiful to watch... when the power and grace come together in perfect harmony.
    6. It is complete in it's applications of the basic core components (bladed, blunt, weapon, emptyhand).
    7. It emphasizes "Combat" instead of "Self-defense" (Mindset, terminologies, techniques, etc.)
    8. It is very snappy and crisp in it's movements.
    9. It suits my personality (the core principles and strategies)
    10. It is fun to do!

BTW, I am talking about Lightning Scientific Arnis (LSAI-LESKAS) system of Mang Ben Lema (LSAI) and Maestro Elmer Ybanez (LESKAS). :)

17. pguinto

pguinto New Member

I personally feel this type of blanket statement is incorrect.

People can mistake victory for skill. But that is not necessarily true. The best example of this is what my friend calls "retard strength" (not very pc, but peeps get the gist of it right away). You could have greater knowledge and a bigger bag of tools. But that does not mean u will come out the victor. There is still a matter of endurance and ability to perform. By training, u are instead just trying to give urself a physical and technical edge. An illustration of this can be seen in the first Rocky movie; no one can deny that Mickey had tons of knowledge but everyone knows that he probably wont walk away from a death match with Rocky. Mickey has all the technical knowledge, but Rocky has all the retard strength. So if Rocky wins does that mean he is the better fighter? Imo, I think its bc he's really just the one better suited to win that fight.

Another example, I have a friend who i would hate to fight for real. I've got huge bag of tricks, 2nd nature reactions (muscle memory), and instincts. however, he is more phsically fit than i am. He's never stopped working out since college. Me, im way out of shape, and i dont work out regularly like i did when i was in college. in fact, my regular workout is bringing my fork up to my mouth so i can rub-a-dub-dub and shovel da grub. Now i may be able to handle myself for a little while, but his endurance and stamina are things i have to deal with. If i dont shut him down, im a dead man, eventually.

Also dont discount luck. People just get plain lucky all the time. Something i see all the time in No Limit Holdem poker tournaments. I see a lot of bonehead moves and plays. And even tho u may be ahead when all the money goes in, the donkey could still get lucky and wind up beating you. After his match with the moro prince, Floro Villabrille claimed that the other guy was better and if they had swords instead of sticks, he wouldve been the one to die; ie he was lucky they agreed to fight with sticks instead of swords.

Because of variance (a term based on mathematic principles), one should know that no matter how good one is, you will
    1) eventually run into someone with greater skill,
    2) eventually run into someone with greater ability,
    3) eventually run into someone with greater endurance/stamina,
    4) eventually run into someone who gets lucky...

Peace

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  18. ChiefShangko

ChiefShangko New Member

I agree with you totally

Thats why I say anyone can beat anyone at the right time if it's their time. There is no better style then the other. I say a death match is a way to decide a victor when 2 fighters have to prove (EGO or PRIDE) what style is better. It's not to say who has the most knowledge or stamina. True that the way people train will give them the edge in a fight, but still doesn't say who's style was better. Thank you for your output. Aloha and talk to you soon. We are all brothers of the FMA and all the styles.

19. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Someone dying in a death match still does not prove what style is better.

20. Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well (man, i would like to meet everyone on this site and just hang out and have a beer or two!)

The system(s) i train in are really the best not necessarily because of the system itself, but because of the instructors of those systems who inspire me to become better and to have a good time... what i see on this thread's response so far is the commonality of simple, directness etc... yet, that to me seems to be subjective... what may be simple to me, may be complicated to my brother and so on...

One poster, (I believe it was Buwaya ?) mentioned one key ingredient in our training... the ability to laugh, bond and become a family...what really stands out in my systems are the great instructors... a lot of them always seem to incorporate laughter--which is much easier to remember things, good times lead to good memories (for me that is)... of course there is seriousness as well, but laughter get the message across better...

i'm not really the type to be down with the (Karate Kid's) Cobra Kai type of teaching all the time... (there is a real cobra kai bjj/mma school by the way! pretty cool that they took the name!)

sorry for the rambling i'm just happy right now :roflmao:

(hmmm, what maybe funny to me may not be funny to you too! hmmmm)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008