Why is BMX an Olympic Sport?

Discussion in 'The Den' started by FENOM, Aug 20, 2008.

1. FENOM

FENOM New Member

I am all for higher, faster, stronger, buy BMX as an Olympic sport? Come on. I know what some people may be thinking..."well they train everyday just like a sprinter or a weightlifter". True but I can train in running 200 and one half metres with a spoon and an egg everyday but that doesn't mean that it should qualify as an Olympic sport.

I think the IOC has to really evaluate what can be considered an Olympic sport or you'll see me on the track with my trusty egg and spoon armed with a petition!

2. punisher73

punisher73 Member

It does make one wonder when they are cutting softball from the olympics, yet have something like this as an olympic sport.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Agreed. Well, at least they still have curling.

Am I the only one a little underwhelmed by Michael Phelps' golds? I know it's very hard to be 'on' for eight events, but many of them are the same stroke at different distances...how different can it be? Sure, it's a different strategy if you're boxing 3 rounds than 12, but even still...tehre must be a high correlation there.

4. travtex

travtex New Member

No, damnit! It takes YEARS of training to prime yourself for the 50-yard doggie paddle versus the 100-yard doggie paddle. We're talking about an ENTIRELY different size doggie!

5. FENOM

FENOM New Member

I don't know if underwhelmed is the word. Certainly he is an incredible athlete and was whoopin my country of Canada by besting them in total medals won for awhile.

Great Olympian yes. Greatest ever IMHO no. I think Usain Bolt has had a great games as well with 2 golds and 2 WR at only 22 year of age.

6. CincoTeros

CincoTeros New Member

I'm with you on that one FENOM. BMX? On Michael Phelps, I believe I heard he was in like 17 events in 1 week or something like that--qualifiers and finals and all that... to do 2 events a day against the best in world is pretty intense IMO. I have a hard time swimming 1 lap... My question on the Olympics is why are there professional athletes in games like basketball and beach volleyball but not on say boxing?