Why are people scared to work out with other styles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Charlie, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Charlie

Charlie New Member

A few weekends ago I was fortunate to work out with some of Grandmaster Bandalan’s Doce Pares players. It was not teaching or anything they were doing their techniques and I was doing mine we even sparred in a light flow sparring type way. I had a lot of fun and it was nice to see my style working out with other styles of the Filipino martial arts. I have tried to do this with other players but they get mad when you do your counters they only want you to do their counters. How can you see how well you can adapt your style to counter others you might just learn some stuff on the way. This is how the old time grandmasters trained look at Doce Pares history it was a club of top notch eskrimadors who would work out together. Why has this changed?

2. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Great question Charlie. The answer is rather simple, a lot of people get trapped in the whole ego thing and feel uncomfortable when they are confronted with the unknown. This is more of a problem for the Martial Artist who gets isolated to a specific style or training method and bases his or her success on how they perform in a compliant environment while always training with the same person as opposed to the warrior who expects any thing and everything at any given time and reacts accordingly in responding to the most immediate threat. Uncertainty is at the heart of fighting and the Warrior realizes this. So when the warrior trains he has trained to react to uncertainty well and responds accordingly against the unexpected and in doing so he becomes accustomed to questioning the status quo, not doing something because he was told to do it but because he has to, as is dictated by the combative equation. My Instructor, Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite taught us regarding the Lameco Eskrima System to allow the situation to dictate how and when we move and to always govern our responses based on cause and effect. He would teach us that there were no guarantees in combat, just opportunity and either we would take advantage of those opportunities as they revealed themselves to us in real time or we would not. That the way that we would respond was based exactly on how we were trained, if we trained with weakness and compromise in our training facility then we were doomed to respond with weakness and compromise when confronted in the cold hard streets. Sparring and fighting is the path to fighting not Mastering 1,000`s of redundant series of techniques and drills just for the sake of collecting them. He would tell us that the fight itself should become our teacher and combative truth our guide. Most people who cross train in other styles feel uncomfortable because they feel that maybe they will be perceived inadequate so they avoid it and stay where they feel safe from ridicule. Personally I have always enjoyed playing with other enthusiasts who were trained in different systems and styles as they are able to give me different looks and challenge me in different areas forcing me to adapt and adjust regarding my fight game. Punong Guro Sulite used to teach us that when we train to master drills all that we will become is master of drills, but to become good fighters we have to fight and master the combative equation itself to include all of the uncertainty and chaos which accompanies it. When you train as if your life depends on it, you will tend to fight as if it does as well. Again great line of questioning.

3. Why are people scared to work out with other styles?
    Answer: They are not.

Alex(ander Bautista Bayot Frnce)
    Barangay Looc, Mainit, Siblan, Negros Oriental, Philippines

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

One of the thing I have noticed through the years is that some founders, head instructors, etc. are afraid to have their students working out with people from other systems because they are worried of their students being exposed to other systems. Why? Because they worry that their students will leave them. My approach is that I want practitioner's of IRT to experience everything out there and to train with practitioners from different systems. I only ask that if they come across some thing really cool that they in turn show it to me so that I may learn. We are all on a martial quest so to speak. Seek out training from everywhere and everyone and learn as much as you can!

5. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

I agree Brian. That is one of things that I appreciated most in training formally under Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite. He truly wanted for us to become not just as good as he was but better. He recognized that not everything works the same for everybody equally. What he may pass on in the form of technique, concept and principle may be the very thing that I may be looking for to complete me as a fighter. He always recommended training in other systems under other Masters as well as a lot of friendly sparring with those of other styles as it always placed you in the unknown element where you had to truly perceive and react in earnest as you would not be accustomed to the way that those from other systems would move, thereby bringing uncertainty into the training equation which is always a healthy option from which you can most certainly benefit if you allow your ego and pride to be checked at the door. Unlike your own training partners where you could almost guess what they were going to do because you had fought them many times in the past in training.

6. THEKUNTAWMAN

THEKUNTAWMAN New Member

Because the creator of many styles, and the founders of many schools got their learning in very safe environments. The develop techniques with friendly people or their own students, instead of testing them on opponents. So the mentality is learn-add-learn. Instead of research test develop