Who is David Seiwert?

Discussion in 'General' started by DesertSilat, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DesertSilat

DesertSilat New Member

Guro David Seiwert of DFA Kali, does anyone know anything about him? How is he a Guro? Where do his credentials come from? Who taught him and I mean more than a seminar with a certificate. I'm not bad mouthing him, his teaching is pretty solid. I'm just wondering where he learned, and is his style authentic Kali? I know his brother was a big Karate guy and that his roots are more Kung-Fu so when did he become an FMA Guru? Is his lineage legit? Does it really matter that much?

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

He allegedly traveled to the Philippines back in the early 2000's and trained with Jerson Tortal Junior. He was given the title of Guro, if my intel is correct..He was not allowed to promote anyone.. He has somewhat of a sketchy background within the FMA since then.. I would be skeptical of his updated training

3. DesertSilat

DesertSilat New Member

Thank you for replying. I was aware of his training with Dekiti Tirsia but not the extent of it. His knowledge of Kali seems pretty good and in depth. have seen where he has trained also with Grand Tuhon Gaje, maybe he could shed some light on this?
    His explanations of the techniques are good but it seems a little more like a mixed art which, by separating himself from a known style, I guess gives him the right to promote within his own style. Nevertheless, I am no judge with my few grains of knowledge.

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I am not aware of his training in Pekiti under GT Gaje, but it is distinctly possible as GT makes several trips a year to the states where as GT Nene Tortal is not as fortunate to be able to make the trips.. GT Nene has a strong following in the states, but we are not as pronounced as the Pekiti group.. I have several friends and associates within the PTK groups and have trained with a couple of the seniors when I was stateside..

5. DesertSilat

DesertSilat New Member

I'm not sure about when or how long but I have read that recently he trained in the Philippines with Lakan "Leo" Lasaleta of Sayoc Kali Philipines for a week or so as well as Chanuphon Yodsamai of Muay Buan in Thailand but also for only a short time. I have also seen pictures of him with Dionisio "Diony" CaƱete but what does that mean? I don't know.