Where are the true Filipinos

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by bttcanada@videotron.ca, Aug 27, 2007.

1. langgaw

langgaw New Member

I am glad you feel that way. I still think he does not know much about the Philippines and its martial art in particular.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm finding the linguistic discussion interesting. I always thought escrima/eskrima came eitehr from "to skirmish" or "fencing" in Spanish!

I've heard that arnis/arnes is a corruption of the Spanish for "(battle) harness".

3. franci1911

franci1911 Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by franci1911 [​IMG]
    Quote:

It would be better toask can you be more definitive in your narrative in an explination of kali vs. arnis and escrima/eskrima/esgrimir. Than to insult this individual. Ask some questions of him and I am sure that he will reply. I do understand that herer is alot of pride being pumped up by many here and that is good. Where was his attack on you of being Filipino? I didn't read that! As I said pride is a good thing but before a person makes wagers of you being able to do something what he can do and maybe more without knowing your adversay is a foolish undertaking at best, (no offense meant). I personally am not Filipino but I have been around the culture for most of my life and I have the heart, mind and sole of the Filipino, (I am Sicilian). And most of my students are Filipino who have no problem with me as Mandala.

I believe what he is saying is if you are Filipino take more pride in who you are. If you take that offensively then you need to look within yourself and ask a few questions in the mirror. Look at the many Americans born people regardless of nationality. They take little pride in the history and the american culture. How many young people can recite the Gettysburg Address, or the Midnite Ride of Paul Revere? How many can sit down and discuss with some detail of the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, details of our presidents, Lewis and Clark expidetion and so many other events in our national history that made us what we are today? This lack of pride is ramport in countries all over the world. He is saying take pride in who you are. Take pride in where you come from. Don't just follow blindly study and research the background of your culture, country society and the combat system of which you study.

No one is saying to you not to have or to make comments here. This is VERBAL SPARRING, and is why many of us are here to counter and recounter one another on the VERBAL COMBAT ARENA.

If I mis-quoted anyone here no offense, but let me know and we can discuss it further.

(BTW are you Filipino? SAy). It doesn't make a difference if he is or is not. The time and effort, the minutes, hours, days and years he has practiced is of importance. Also how he teaches what he knows and the following that he has is what is important here!

I live and digest the culture, and practice the combative fighting system on a daily basis. I am proud to be in FMA Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Then ask him directly.

4. langgaw

langgaw New Member

I was asking him but you answered instead and started sharing views and suggestions and talking about yourself and all these but since this is a talk then that should be alright. My post was directed to bttcanada.. in a hurried english with a tinged of pinoy pride.

5. franci1911

franci1911 Member

Since this is a forum all comments are opened to counter conversation from anyone. If bttcanada... objects to my comments he can tell me so. I am looking forward to bttcanada... or GrandTuhon Gaje to comment further on my statements or anyone elses for that matter. My sharing of myself was only the one line of which I have quoted above. You don't have to be Filipino to be fully immersed in the history, culture and the art of the Philippines.

6. langgaw

langgaw New Member

Qoute" You don't have to be Filipino to be fully immersed in the history, culture and the art of the Philippines" unqoute

True , but a good solid knowledge of the H,C,A of the Philippines would be a big plus in the exchange of info or any topic relative to the Phillippines.

7. franci1911

franci1911 Member

No disagreement with you here. Just ask him for more clarification to see what knowledge he might have in addition to his previous comments.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  8. viejo

viejo New Member

Well in this case maybe not exactly the same meaning but almost the same.....
    Fence in spanish has many meanings like: defensa (defense) or cercar o cerrar (to close) or esgrimir and when u see two escrimadores playing with a stick or a sword ?what are the doing? well a kind of fencing with of course many diferences....Please dont take me wrong, I'm not saying that FMA cames from Spain and the art of esgrima I'm just talking about the word esgrima and escrima, nothing else.
    regards
    Viejo

9. 408kali

408kali Member

Yes I've been reading those posts.

However, within the last 6 months or so I came across an FMA system called Sulwan Kali, whose Grandmaster and founder was a Moro Muslim from Mindanao named Sulwan Quon who evidently relocated to Los Angeles, California sometime last century. I was very interested in this system, and am still curious as to whether Sulwan Quon is still alive, and if not, who is the inheritor of this system.

~John

10. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Hi Viejo,

Absolutely! I'm very sorry...I wasn't making myself clear. I agree with you, and wasn't trying to criticize you or what you are saying. :)

Thanks,
    Carol

11. Mchief

Mchief New Member

You are to be commended for your devotion to your art and instructors.
    True I was not born in the Philippines, but both of my Grandfathers were. One from Pangasinan, and the other from Leyte. I grew up experiencing many cultures but mainly Filipino and Hawaiian, My maternal grandmother was Hawaiian/Irish.

I have been involved in Martial Arts for about 50 years and 35 of those years spent in Derobio Escrima. Besides GGM Pedoy, I have trained with many Escrimadors who have all since passed on. I believe l have learned from some of the best Escrimadors that migrated from the Philippines.

They all had one attribute in common HUMILITY!

Movement without HUMILITY is like traveling in total darkness.

Forgive me If displayed sarcasm in my earlier postings. Its just my natural response to statements made out of ignorance. After reading more post I realized that I should keep my post Neural, and just speak to the facts. I'm new to this and still learning about who is who on this site.

I don't understand your statement. Please Clarify.

What goes around comes around, & Don't go there.

What did I do to deserve such disrespect?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  12. franci1911

franci1911 Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by franci1911 [​IMG]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bttcanada@videotron.ca [​IMG]
    The true filipinos are those who remained patriotic to their motherland regardless which country they became another citizen. Their hearts and mind are still focused to the Philippines. How many Filipinos in the United STates, Canada and other countries who wants to be back to the Philippines. But how many despised their own country and refuse to acknowledged that Philippines is their motherland. There are more non-filipinos who want to be filipinos some got married to the filipinas and have children and were happy to be a part filipino .

But how many filipinos understand the filipino culture. How many Filipinos who understand the real filipino that even the filipino language is interpreted as Spanish. How many do not accept that Kali is filipino and calling the filipino Martial arts Escrima in Spanish name with filipino stick in the Hand, How many filipinos who speaks Escrima and do not even understand what the word mean because it cannot be authenticated in Filipino language and cannot even be found in the Filipino dictionary.

Those who cannot interpret true filipino culture in its right meaning has no right to practice the art because if he learn only or teach only by following without digging the meaning what he is teaching then who is he.

Where are the filipinos. The filipinos are either a mixture of blood of another nationality or filipino by name but the true culture is no way to be found in his heart and his mind. As what other see they want to learn escrima because it is filipino. No you are not learning filipino , you are learning the Spanish Martial Arts escrima. How about Arnis ,Arnis is the same boat in different color but the same Blackbelt.

Where are the filipinos . The real filipinos are those who practice the culture as legacy of the forefathers. Those who can stand in its right name and say I LOVE MY COUNTRY THE PHILIPPINES WITH EVERYTHING IN IT WITHOUT MIXTURE.

It would be better toask can you be more definitive in your narrative in an explination of kali vs. arnis and escrima/eskrima/esgrimir. Than to insult this individual. Ask some questions of him and I am sure that he will reply. I do understand that herer is alot of pride being pumped up by many here and that is good. Where was his attack on you of being Filipino? I didn't read that! As I said pride is a good thing but before a person makes wagers of you being able to do something what he can do and maybe more without knowing your adversay is a foolish undertaking at best, (no offense meant). I personally am not Filipino but I have been around the culture for most of my life and I have the heart, mind and sole of the Filipino, (I am Sicilian). And most of my students are Filipino who have no problem with me as Mandala.

(BTW are you Filipino? SAy). It doesn't make a difference if he is or is not. The time and effort, the minutes, hours, days and years he has practiced is of importance. Also how he teaches what he knows and the following that he has is what is important here!

In this post you asked where in the Phillipines is he from? Well from what I can see Mchief is from Hawaii. Am I wrong? Sir, you may be Filipino but were you born in the Philippines? This question I ask shouldn't make a difference. I know you have the heart, mind soul of a Filipino Warrior as well as the Ancestory of the Philippines. So whether you were born there, have lived there, or just immersed in the culture and the art in many trips to the Philippines it shouldn't make a difference. I see that you have asked some very good questions of inquiry but in earlier posts there was a great deal of sarcasim. What goes around comes around. Lets not go there!

I live and digest the culture, and practice the combative fighting system on a daily basis. I am proud to be in FMA Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Mchief, I can see that you have a deep connection to your culture and to my point you don't have to be born to In the Philippines to have such connection. I have been involved in FMA for more than 30 years and in the Martial Arts for over 45 years. I got my start in Hawaiian Kenpo CHA3, Professor Marino Tiwanak/Sam Brown. Again I am Sicilian by birth and have deep roots in the country. And at the same time I have a connection to the Philippines that goes as deep. Although most of my students are Filipino I also have students of all cultures German, Dutch, and Italian. As far as the Sarcasim we all get there and we all move on. I try not to create friction nor enemies here. Just enjoy a friendly verbal combat. Sometimes going a bit off-line with comments is a way of creating this verbal battle ground which to me can get quite exciting.

I will this January be going back to the Philippines and spend about 2 to 3 months in training with some of my Pekiti-Tirsia Brothers.

13. viejo

viejo New Member

Hey Carol

Thanks and I dont have any problem with Critic .....:)

14. Mchief

Mchief New Member

\

Very true.Family always do this and we are all family in the true sense of the word. One of my students is a black belt under Mr Brown . his name is Martin Guerrerro. He was one of my original students when I first came to San Diego. He moved back to Gilroy. Do you know him? You and I belong to Cha-3 now we are more than family we are OHANA! Wow! I have met long lost friends , classmates and made new friends I am overwhelmed. You take care and keep on doing what you do. Keep priming this forum, and I will try my best to not be to sarcastic. HAHAHA! Have a great time in the Philippines.

PS Go off line anytime and lets have fun. I need some in my old age.

15. franci1911

franci1911 Member

Mchief, yes I know Martin very well and have trained with him. I never stop doing what I do. There is what is called, "Six Degrees of Separation" (also known as the, Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon) for the good and sometimes the bad. That theory can actually reduced by half when it comes to FMA (Martial Arts). I see this connection more often than not. Now that we are OHANA we'll keep the sarcasim to a minimum alright (all in fun). I will for sure be going off-line soon that's within my nature.

16. Please allow me to make commentaries on the above issues about FMA-ezcrima , Arnis or Kali.

First we have to understand the culture.Meaning filipino culture.Who has been heavily disciplined in the filipino culture. When we understand culture, it is process as how do you culture a bacteria, of course a bacteria must be housed in a right temperature to be used as anti-rabbies against the dogbite, against snake bite venom then cultured venom becomes anti-venom.

The art of kali is a culture , a true filipino culture inherent in every filipino;
    How do you know that is inherent, in the expression of respect as Ka is respect oftenly expressed in greetings or a response to calling someone . Wen the name is called by the father or mother as Juan, the answer of Juan is Ho meaning yes sir and if ordered to do something the response is PO.This is culture. Filipino language is the most respectfull language in the world;

After respect it is expressed in concern and care. If in village of 50 families, when one of the lonley nights a mother is about deliver a Baby,the head of hte village beat the drum and all family members will gather in the middle of the night to look for a nurse or partera a native Doctor . She will be pick up by the leader and brought to the house of a suffering lady.Then when the baby is is alive, time to celebrate by expressing hospitality.

Filipino cultrue is based on fighting. A culture of warriorship.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007