Where are the true Filipinos

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by bttcanada@videotron.ca, Aug 27, 2007.

1. The true filipinos are those who remained patriotic to their motherland regardless which country they became another citizen. Their hearts and mind are still focused to the Philippines. How many Filipinos in the United STates, Canada and other countries who wants to be back to the Philippines. But how many despised their own country and refuse to acknowledged that Philippines is their motherland. There are more non-filipinos who want to be filipinos some got married to the filipinas and have children and were happy to be a part filipino .

But how many filipinos understand the filipino culture. How many Filipinos who understand the real filipino that even the filipino language is interpreted as Spanish. How many do not accept that Kali is filipino and calling the filipino Martial arts Escrima in Spanish name with filipino stick in the Hand, How many filipinos who speaks Escrima and do not even understand what the word mean because it cannot be authenticated in Filipino language and cannot even be found in the Filipino dictionary.

Those who cannot interpret true filipino culture in its right meaning has no right to practice the art because if he learn only or teach only by following without digging the meaning what he is teaching then who is he.

Where are the filipinos. The filipinos are either a mixture of blood of another nationality or filipino by name but the true culture is no way to be found in his heart and his mind. As what other see they want to learn escrima because it is filipino. No you are not learning filipino , you are learning the Spanish Martial Arts escrima. How about Arnis ,Arnis is the same boat in different color but the same Blackbelt.

Where are the filipinos . The real filipinos are those who practice the culture as legacy of the forefathers. Those who can stand in its right name and say I LOVE MY COUNTRY THE PHILIPPINES WITH EVERYTHING IN IT WITHOUT MIXTURE.

2. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Go home then. Once American always American. Look how the condition of our country is in??? Because of non-filipinos is why FMA is now on the forefront. But you have a right to your opinion but our family it wasn't the Philippines(Maharlika) that helped us make it in this world, it was USA that is why we live better then in PI. Maraming Salamat PO

3. truth_be_told

truth_be_told -== Banned ==-

Moderators,

isnt many Racist Facist statement been made ?

Clear disregard of forum policy

why such guros not banned but individual users who protest be warned ?

4. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Kali

With respect, what part of the Philippines do you live? How popular is Filipino Martial Arts in your area? Please educate me on the History of The FMA.

How is Kali, Filipino and Escrima is not? Tell me where the word KALI came from?

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Warnings are generally not made public, so they may be being issued.

Often we discuss these matters before acting, which we think is prudent but which can create a delay.

Everyone, please remember that this site will only remain valuable if it is welcoming to all FMA practitioners.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Speaking for myself, I was not offended by the post. It's great to have pride in one's homeland. I'm an American who learned arnis from an American (Tim Hartman). I think it's a great art. Does anyone have a problem with that?

I interpret many of these posts as people lamenting that Tae Kwon DO and such are more popular than the FMA in the Philippines themselves. I understand.

7. Mchief

Mchief New Member

I did not know Escrima was a Spanish Martial Art? I'm 56 years old and I'm still learning new things. How Long did the Spanish rule the Philippines 300 400 years? I can see where it could happen. So, can someone tell me where the word Kali come from ? Is Kali a filipino word? If it is, what dialect? What is in the Filipino dictionary? Cebuano words, Visayan words, Moro words, Waray Waray words, Samboanga words. Is it a mixture of all with some Spanish? This interests me because I want to learn the Filipino Heritage of my Grandfathers. So if anyone can recommend a good Filipino Dictionary I would appreciated it. I Thank You in advance.

8. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Why is Tae Kwon do more popular than FMA in the Philippines?

Why would anyone have a problem with you learning from an American?Datu Hartman is a man of great character and integrity. If he was here I would train with him also. My son Chaz speaks very highly of him. You are very fortunate to have a teacher like Datu Hartman.

The gentleman mentioned that Arnis was in the same Category as Escrima (not Filipino Martial Art). In your opinion is that a true statement or did I misinterpret the writers words?

9. viejo

viejo New Member

Where did it come from? Most of the very old groups in PH use the term, Arnis, Escrima or even Bastonero
    Who was the first to make the term kali public? Was not Mr Yambao in his book the first one to use the term "kali"?
    I read somewhere that Quote:
    Nobody even knows where Yambao got it. And any anthropologist would agree that Kali has nothing to do with Kalibo, or whatever. Maybe, "Kalibang"... which is how people usually feel when faced with a life or death situation... or "kaihi-un"...
    How many Dialects or better say Languages we have in the PH???

10. oosh

oosh Junior Member

I recommend signing up for the eskrima-digest - http://martialartsresource.com/filipino/filframe.htm

over the past few months there has been a very thorough and academic discussion on the "kali" debate; the most informative and interesting that I have read (in comparison to other "debates" on other forums).

The underlying theme, is that the term does not appear prior to Placido Yambao's book [SIZE=-1]"Mga Karunungan sa Larong Arnis" - FMA practitioners and researchers have spent a great deal of time searching for "kali" in Mindanao to no avail.
    [/SIZE]

11. Mchief

Mchief New Member

This helps thank you

12. Mchief

Mchief New Member

I'LL CHECK IT OUT!
    THANK YOU

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The word escrima itself refers to Western Fencing (escrime in French). So, the word comes from the Spanish.

This is a great resource. I wish it was formatted like this site though--I don't find e-mail digests nearly as convenient to read.

14. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

There is no word "escrima" that is indigenous to the Spanish language, that I know of. I speak the language reasonably well.

Escrima is a Filiipino art. The name seems to be derived from Spanish verb esgrimir (to weild, to put forward), and from the Spanish noun La Esgrima (western fencing).

There are several web sites that say Escrima was taken from the verb "to skirmish" but the word is etymologically more distant: la escaramuza is the noun, escaramuzar(se) are the verbs.

However, Escrima is not the same word as esgrimir, La Esgrima or la escaramuza, nor does it refer to the same art or action.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks for the details! I was reasoning from the French. :)

16. Mchief

Mchief New Member

I thank you very much for this info.

17. langgaw

langgaw New Member

your view it seems to me reflects a lack of knowledge of the rich history of the Philippines and the richier history of the Filipino Martial arts. If you can not distinguish the difference of arnis , escrima and kali and the origins of each word, then I day you am ignorant of some facts basic to knowing the colorful culture of the Filipinos. I am a filipino, small and brown skinned but I bet I can do what you can do and maybe more. A true filipino is all around you and they take pride in what they are. BTW are you Filipino? Say.

18. viejo

viejo New Member

Hi Spanisch is the language I grow with and yes u are right Skirmish o "La Escaramuza" has nothing to do with Escrima or with the spanisch word Esgrima but Escrima might be a LOanword from Spanisch like many other words found in Tagalog, take a look at this link from wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog_loanwords

just scroll a bit and u will find a list with loan or cognates word from spanish...in most cases the word will be written a bit different than the one in spanisch like in "Beterano"-Tagalog and "Veterano" Spanisch...
    I just think it will be unfair to say that Just like in Tagalog other languages spoken in the PH have loan words...I think that other countries like Indonesia etc also took words from the PH.....sorry sometimes is difficult for me to write things clear....
    regards
    Viejo

19. franci1911

franci1911 Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bttcanada@videotron.ca [​IMG]
    The true filipinos are those who remained patriotic to their motherland regardless which country they became another citizen. Their hearts and mind are still focused to the Philippines. How many Filipinos in the United STates, Canada and other countries who wants to be back to the Philippines. But how many despised their own country and refuse to acknowledged that Philippines is their motherland. There are more non-filipinos who want to be filipinos some got married to the filipinas and have children and were happy to be a part filipino .

But how many filipinos understand the filipino culture. How many Filipinos who understand the real filipino that even the filipino language is interpreted as Spanish. How many do not accept that Kali is filipino and calling the filipino Martial arts Escrima in Spanish name with filipino stick in the Hand, How many filipinos who speaks Escrima and do not even understand what the word mean because it cannot be authenticated in Filipino language and cannot even be found in the Filipino dictionary.

Those who cannot interpret true filipino culture in its right meaning has no right to practice the art because if he learn only or teach only by following without digging the meaning what he is teaching then who is he.

Where are the filipinos. The filipinos are either a mixture of blood of another nationality or filipino by name but the true culture is no way to be found in his heart and his mind. As what other see they want to learn escrima because it is filipino. No you are not learning filipino , you are learning the Spanish Martial Arts escrima. How about Arnis ,Arnis is the same boat in different color but the same Blackbelt.

Where are the filipinos . The real filipinos are those who practice the culture as legacy of the forefathers. Those who can stand in its right name and say I LOVE MY COUNTRY THE PHILIPPINES WITH EVERYTHING IN IT WITHOUT MIXTURE.

It would be better toask can you be more definitive in your narrative in an explination of kali vs. arnis and escrima/eskrima/esgrimir. Than to insult this individual. Ask some questions of him and I am sure that he will reply. I do understand that herer is alot of pride being pumped up by many here and that is good. Where was his attack on you of being Filipino? I didn't read that! As I said pride is a good thing but before a person makes wagers of you being able to do something what he can do and maybe more without knowing your adversay is a foolish undertaking at best, (no offense meant). I personally am not Filipino but I have been around the culture for most of my life and I have the heart, mind and sole of the Filipino, (I am Sicilian). And most of my students are Filipino who have no problem with me as Mandala.

(BTW are you Filipino? SAy). It doesn't make a difference if he is or is not. The time and effort, the minutes, hours, days and years he has practiced is of importance. Also how he teaches what he knows and the following that he has is what is important here!

In this post you asked where in the Phillipines is he from? Well from what I can see Mchief is from Hawaii. Am I wrong? Sir, you may be Filipino but were you born in the Philippines? This question I ask shouldn't make a difference. I know you have the heart, mind soul of a Filipino Warrior as well as the Ancestory of the Philippines. So whether you were born there, have lived there, or just immersed in the culture and the art in many trips to the Philippines it shouldn't make a difference. I see that you have asked some very good questions of inquiry but in earlier posts there was a great deal of sarcasim. What goes around comes around. Lets not go there!

I live and digest the culture, and practice the combative fighting system on a daily basis. I am proud to be in FMA Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

20. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I understand what you are saying Viejo. I think every language has words that were loaned or derived from words of a separate language. English has words that stem from many different languages...which is one of the reasons why this language is so hard to learn for someone with a different mother tongue.

However when a word is loaned from one language to another, it does not always retain the same meaning. The English word "alcohol" for example, is from Arabic al-Kuhl which was...not a drink, but actually an old form of eye makeup, probably like the kind used by Cleopatra.

The word Escrima may have been borrowed from the Spanish word Esgrima/Esgrimir, but the word does not have the same meaning. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007