when sparring

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by Sheldon Bedell, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

When sparring which kicking combination or single kick to you seem to use the most. Is it because you just prefer this one or because it presents itslef more

2. mkriii

mkriii New Member

When sparring I like to use the side thrust kick to someones rib area. I like to use this when my opponent is rushing in and I'm just kind of sitting back and waiting for thier attack. I think I have a pretty solid side kick. I also like to use the Thai roundhouse kick to the back of the thigh. That drops them real quick.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Is there not a Sikaran version of the Thai roundhouse kick? Yaw Yan has the Mountain Kick in its place, right?

4. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

some of the Sikaran systems teach a round house in that manner as well as snap and trust roundhouse kicks.

5. Bagwis

Bagwis New Member

My kick/combinations of kick will depend on my oponent or sparring partner..if he is an agressive or a waiting type...but i have my quicke side to the stomach or ribs applied as offensive and defensive with a kalawit or biakid follow up...

6. Bagwis

Bagwis New Member

as to taih kick, a sikaran player is being warned if he kick lower than a belt, eccept in sweeping, obviously its not allowed but its effectiveness in real fight cannot be disregarded that somehow its part of my teaching.

7. djaney

djaney New Member

Hmm.. when I spar, I'll just make a sikaran stance guarding my ribs and face... Then just counter attack on the opponents attack... it's an effective strategy against long ranged fighters.

8. djaney

djaney New Member

I often use biakids because it leaves you vulnerable for a moment.. scorpion kick is better(biakid with one hand touching the floor). Thet way I can dodge and kick.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The scorpion kick sounds like capoeira!

10. djaney

djaney New Member

Well, I dont know all about capoeira.

11. cebusikaran

cebusikaran New Member

Good day to all. Its nice that Sikaran Bukidnon is still doing its best to promote the art just like what we are doing here in Cebu City. In Sikaran Cebu and Global Sikaran Federation, the biakid is thrown in a variety of ways from different angles and height. When we throw it head high, we usually place our head low so that the heel will impact at the right angle on the target. In doing this, we brace one hand against the floor for added stability. However, we also throw mid level biakid as well as low level sweeping biakid.This is what makes the biakid different from the usual turning long kick that we see in taekwondo where that is only targeted to the head in a whipping manner with the sole of the foot.

Djaney i hope you could invite us kng may events dyan sa Bukidnon. we will also invite u dito sa Cebu so that the people will again see that Sikaran is still very much alive and kicking.

12. cebusikaran

cebusikaran New Member

usually, the way Sikaran fighters execute their kicks is because of the fact that the pitak ( circular playing area) is just around 25 ft in diameter. That is why, sikaranistas tend to use a lot of direct side kick ( tukod) to unbalance their opponent and this will immediately be followed up with a finishing biyakid done at medium to close range. Side thrusting kicks are used a lot because a player losses when he is driven out of the playing area 3 times. The sikaranistas are known head junters because hitting the opponent cleanly on the head would merit a TKO. so u reli see them going to the head ( and theyre usually good at it) using all kicks.. particularly the vaunted biyakid thrown at med to close range..

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I know Balintawak players also say that their original training area's size affected their technique!

14. cebusikaran

cebusikaran New Member

heres a classic example of Sikaran Biakid. Sir Jeff Banaag participates in a Taekwondo tournament in Morong, Rizal. But he actually trains in Sikaran where he is a 5th deg BB. he is a member of Global Sikaran headquarters based in Delano..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiI4WR8OgV8

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

16. punisher73

punisher73 Member

I am not familiar enough with empty hand FMA styles to know whether this is true or not.

I had been told that most fma's don't kick above the knee because of the fact that they are based on knifefighting anything higher and you run the risk of having your legs cut up pretty good when attempting to kick. Therefore, most don't have kicks above the knee unless they were added later.

Any truth? I realize that there are LOTS of different styles, just wondering if this statement was a strategical approach for one in particular or if it is a broader statement applying to many other fma styles.

17. Raul

Raul Mananandata

All old-school weapon-based FMA don't have any empty-hand component, period. It didn't mean Old Masters can't fight empty handed though. Even GM Cabales, the Father of Escrima in America added the empty-hand component in his system only later when students found the need of it. The reverse happened to empty-hand FMAs, they added the stickfighting component to the empty-hand art later.
    Kicking while fighting with weapons can only be done sparingly, critically and only at the right moment and specific scenarios. High kicks were developed by players, not fighters, so there you go.Fighting empty-handed was anathema to weapon-based FMA, IMO

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  18. My opinion is that the FMA styles all have a basis in reality combat.

To try and kick somebody in the head when they have a weapon is a foolhardy thing to do. Even empty hand v empty hand it's not optimal unless you are a very skilled kicker. (A certain Yaw-Yan Master I know comes to mind here...)

However, also IMHO many people have come to the FMA being skilled kickers and sought to continue using these skills.

This is not a bad thing because if you let somebody kick you in the head or above the waist when you are holding a weapon the fault is all yours.

We primarily train weapon v weapon and a kick moves slower than a stick / sword. It also involves more body mechanics / footwork.

You can set up a weapon attack with a low kick but against a skilled opponent a high kick telegraphs too much and doesn't flow nicely into a weapon strike.

There are videos on you-tube that counter the point I'm making but maybe that's another discussion for another day...

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Remy Presas certainly added a lot of empty-hand in his bid to modernize the system and make it more relevant to unarmed self-defense!

20. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

Can't say i'm familiar with sikaran so I can't comment on this style specifically. However I feel the easiest and safest kick to land is the roundhouse, it can be performed at any (height) level with speed and is hard to see coming. I say it is safe because if blocked it causes little/no harm to the attacker if the attacker chooses the right striking surface (for me the shin). A roundhouse thrown with the surface of the foot or instep can be quite painful if blocked. I believe a side kick is more powerful but also more easily blocked and can be painful if blocked. I also consider a front kick effective and possibly the fastest kick but it can also be painful if blocked.

Respectfully, this is just my perspective and what works for me. Perhaps with practice all kicks are equal, but for me some kicks present an inherent structural advantage against a defending opponent.