When/How to train children

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by equilibrium, May 8, 2007.

1. equilibrium

equilibrium New Member

My son is only 1 and a half years old. What do you guys recommend training and when?

I know Tuhon only trained footwork between what 6 and 9 years of age?

He already likes to hit the tire with a stick.

2. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

That's awesome! :)

There is a difference between what an MA school has to keep in mind and what a parent can do.

From your son's perspective, he's probably getting some enjoyment out of the activity (hitting stuff is cool no matter what age :D) but just as important...it's something that he gets to do with Dad. That's huge.

Around the age of 10 or so is when a lot of MA teachers say their child students have the physical, emotional, and analytical maturity to take their training seriously.

Personally I think, as a parent, use your best judgement. Introduce the child to the arts gradually...keeping it fun for them will hopefully bring a great experience for both of you. :)

3. Hi there,

i guess its not technically training, but i do have my goddaughter play with light rattan sticks with me... we just hit each other's sticks without any planned curriculum... she's only 2 1/2 and is able to hit my slow strikes that is coming toward her...

we can see her thinking/problem solving and deciding how to hit the incoming strikes (even against thrusts) pretty quickly... we even had two sticks thrusting towards her and she blocked them both.... so, its not technical, just conceptual...

as the months and years go by, i'll up the play... i plan to have her to be really good by 10... hahaha...

and the most important thing is that she cutely laughs out loud!... priceless! here are some pics

4. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Adorable Bro. :)

5. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Sounds like you got a good plan. My nephew just started taking up Copiera, at the same time his mom and some of his kuya's and Aunties. I think that's important, though not FMA, that he has an something where he can explore movement creatively and its wired into social relationships with his elders. He can get a postive experiance from it, and when the mindsets ready, it all translates martially.

Its also good because he lives a fair distance and for his current age( four) I don't have the frequency of contact to begin to teach FMA to him. Not the way I learned or I would train my kids.

6. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

equilibrium,

I had a false start at eleven, and restarted at 13-14. I know people that started at three and 6-7. I'll post my thoughts and their experiances later.
    (I'm actually at work, slow day:) ssssssh!)

7. 408kali

408kali Member

My son is 6 and I've taught him Abaniko & Redondo strikes, as well as a pass & counter manuever which is his "most troublesome yet still fun" move. The trick is, make it a play time activity. And equally important, keep it fun, simple, and only include 1 to 2 at most at a time. Focus on those things but keep it relaxed. Children like to play and pressuring them will only turn them away from your purpose. Children need lots and lots of positive reinforcement (as do we at times, eh?!!), and that will motivate them drastically. You may only keep your child's attention for a short time, but remember to attach the name of the maneuver to it. Your child will identify it as such. Also, foam sticks are great for the purpose. My son also salutes, which is great! He is involved in Wushu but I plan to *possibly* enroll him in Silat when he's 7 in July. That is, if I can convince him how much better Silat is for him :)

Peace, ~John.

8. 408kali

408kali Member

Captain Jack-

Your niece really is so cute! What you do with your niece I also do with my niece (5 yr.'s old) and son, we make a game out of it- but, my niece is big for her age as a Samoan girl might be (though she's NOT Samoan) and gets excited and swings the stick HARD.. we have to stop as it scares her mom :)

~John

9. Doc D

Doc D New Member

With regard to training children , I have seen many excellent martial artists with children who apparently had no interest in the martial arts at all. I think some of it was due to the parent's approach to the art....sort of trying to force feed the art to the child. The parent was so carried away with his/her own enthusiasm for the art that he/she expected his child to be up for a 1-3 hour training session . I think the best way to foster interest is to let the martial arts and the training methodology be present and apparent around the home. The child will become interested because it is there in the background and Dad or Mom and friends are having fun doing it. My daughter knows all the guys who train with me and has watched them hang out and train since she could barely walk . Over the years, she has become more interested in learning on her own. When she expresses interest, I have to remember , she is not yet ready for a 3 hour training block....I have to remember that she is curious about the arts ...not a training fanatic . She now comes to me with questions regarding basic self defense and I use that as an opportunity for a short training block. A very good gung fu teacher once told me , always train the children up until they are having the most fun , then start to wrap it up. Their last thoughts on training will then be how much they hated that class had to end ....not how worn out they were and how much they wanted it to end. That way they look forward to the next workout rather than dread it. That approach has seemed to work well with my daughter.
    Hope that helps

with respect

Doc

10. Thank you Buwaya & 408 for the very kind words regarding my niece... yeah, i must say she is very cute...

I know these links aren't Eskrima/Arnis related, they show how kids are taught in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu/Muay Thai... Fairtex at SF also teaches young kids and i watch them work them, but in a very casual and fun manner... enjoy!:

Cute kids learning how to move:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmX2eZpneiY

Older kids learning techniques
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uCfEqqmCOA

Individual kids doing "scenarios"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lRR1hWPXxA

AND here is something brutal; here these kids fight for a living or hopes to make money professionally someday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5l0Z3lKPcE

Cap

11. 408kali

408kali Member

100th post

Another method I am now using for my son/niece, as a cheap but effective alternative to foam is getting a section of newspaper, rolling it as tight as possible, then tape or rubber-band it (I use tape). Makes good "sticks" for practicing with kids or gentle women such as my wife. :)