Whats the haps from SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Mandirigma, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

Greetings Everyone,
    Hoping to meet new people intrested in the FMA!!
    Talk to ya soon.
    Salamat Po

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! I know there are lots of groups in San Jose (where I used to live).

3. MSTCND

MSTCND New Member

Welcome to MT, Mandirigma!

I'm moving out to San Jose in mid-June... I dabbled some in Modern Arnis when I was here in DE... off and on over the last 4-years...

Once I get out that way, I'll try to remember to post in this thread... and we can get together and bang sticks! :cool:

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

P.S. Arnisador, and good tips on life in SJ? Any tips on good places to eat, or get a beverage or two?

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It's been 8 years since I lived there, so all my advice is out of date, regrettably! We lived there for 4 years and liked the opportunities but not the traffic.

5. MSTCND

MSTCND New Member

Yes, I visited out in the Oakland, Greater SF Bay area for a week in Apr-95... and remember feeling like a passenger in a NASCAR race when we drove about! :eek:

What's on your "must look into list" for the FMA's in the San Jose area? Specifically, I'll be in "South San Jose"... details to follow! :coolorang

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The Inayan Eskrima people were very friendly but definitely played hard. That's the first place I'd look! They've had some organizational splits, but one school in the area is here. I visted a school in south San Jose once that I didn't care for but they've since closed.

Hmmm, they now have a club right where I used to work (Santa Clara University)!

7. 408kali

408kali Member

Sup Mandirigma! My name is John, I'm also a South Bay resident!

If you're interested in Serrada, try my instructor Punong Guro Bob Manalo of IESA. He's an excellent instructor!

More info on IESA can be found here: www.tribe-iesa.com or www.sultanuddin.com

We train weekly in San Jose at the private home of a fellow student.

I am also training with Andrew "Limbas" Ma of the Garimot system (www.garimot.com).

It used to be bi-weekly and sometimes once every three weeks, but Guro Andrew is going to work on meeting once a week. Andrew is proficient in the Arnis De Mano and Buno aspects of the art, but for Hilot you will have to go to the source: Gat Puno Abon the Grandmaster of the Garimot system Guro Abon, as he is referred to by the Garimot Brotherhood, resides in Florida. We hold class at a local park near my house in Santa Clara, or at his fiancee's house close to mine.

I have resolved the pause in training by taping the sessions, but I will probably continue even if we go weekly.

There are other great players in the area. Another one I would recommend is Guro Garry Bowlds. You can see his profile here: http://www.geocities.com/gurogarry/
    He holds the rank of Guro under the late Mike Inay, and is one of Mike Inay's early students. He is a hard-hitter, a signature of most Inayan Guro's. I've met him once along with Masurib Guro John Peterson of the Inayan School, both highly informed and personable guys. Maybe you met him? Guro Garry trains in small groups privately, while last I knew MG Peterson was still training with Inayan Academy.

Guro Garry holds classes between Mountain View and Palo Alto.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me, I will do my best to help you find a great group to train with!

Peace, ~John.

8. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Hey Mandirigma! Welcome aboard! :)

9. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

Friends in the Arts!
    I have been away for awhile,Thanks for the warm welcome!!!
    Salamat