What you draw upon in your own "blend"

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by KaliJoe, May 29, 2008.

1. KaliJoe

KaliJoe New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first time writing in the forum, though I have read the forums for awhile now.

I have trained in the Inosanto/Lacoste system for at least a few years now. I've also trained or have been exposed to other FMA systems (Pekiti-Tirsia and Doce Pares for instance).

Since many of us cross train in several FMA's (along with the Inosanto/Lacoste system for some of us), I am wondering what do you find yourself drawing upon in your training or sparring. Do you tend toward Pekiti, or Doce Pares, or Inosanto (or whichever style or system) while moving, attacking, defending, etc? Do you find yourself blending more, or drawing more from one particular art than the others you train? If so, what is it about that art that you like (for your own uses) more than the others?

Sincerely,

Joe

2. Phadrus00

Phadrus00 New Member

Hiya KaliJoe,

Well this is my first post in a long time so your question has inspired me to come out of hibernation! *grin*

So my background is originally in Inosanto/Lacoste, then Modern Arnis, then Doce Pares Escrima and now most recently Kombatan. In addition I train in Silat which also influences my footwork AND (now how much would you pay..) I also train and teach Tai Chi.

Do I find myself blending? Yes of course.. Is it good...well mostly.. except when I am training with my Doce Pares instructor Jason (*wave* Hello Sir!). Almost all of the other systems have pretty similar foot work. You work the Male and Female triangle pretty consistently based on the range you are in and the weapon configuration. Even for Silat training things are pretty complimentary (however my Tai Chi footwork is somewhat incongruent, but that's another post entirely!).

Doce Pares is different because of the heavy influence of sparring and multiple hits. Where most of the Kali training and Arnis training is done at Largo Mano range, most of the Doce Pares is done at Media and Corto Mano range. The correction I get the most when I sector out along the male triangle is:

"Stop Dancing and Start Fighting! Don't backup, hold you ground and hit faster!"

To the art's credit, Doce Pares makes me hit a lot faster and more fluidly than any other art I have studied!

The other difference I have noticed is in Kombatan when doing Sinniwalli. I normally put a lot of hip motion and body rotation into my strikes but the Kombatan instructors I have worked with discourage this. They suggest staying relatively neutral and static in your stance (Move YES but don't wind up your strikes and telegraph them) and letting your upper body and speed do the work. BUT they still use the Male Triagle to get out of the way when required and actually they use a drill called "Palit-Palit" to reinforce usign the triangle to manage the range with the opponenet as you exchange techniques which I think is an excellent drill!

3. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I'd encourage anyone training in JKD looking for a stick art other than what may be taught by their instructor to look to Senkotiros Arnis. I've found that the thought process behind both arts are very similar.

www.senkotiros.org
    www.senkotirosphilippines.com

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Sinko tiros is a good art for a beginner or someone who decides to expand their knowledge away from the main stream fma systems taught in the states.. I have been a practitioner of a sinko tiros system from Pampanga for over 3 decades and use it to train first time beginners in the Philippine warrior culture

5. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

I used to bland the styles years ago. Now I teach them all seperate so people don't come to my conclusion. Now I give them the option to take seperate classes if they want to learn what each one offers. I find that it is to much to learn blending the styles. A realistic martial art that teaches good self defense should be simply simple!

6. geezer

geezer Member

I also prefer to keep the different systems discrete, but it's not always possible, especially when sparring. As different as individual styles appear on the outside, they often merge at at the conceptual level.The two FMAs I train: Latosa Combat Escrima and Torres "DTE" end up blending some because they overlap a bit technically, and are historically connected (Torres did some training with Latosa back in the '80s). And I find that as I apply them, both of these systems are informed by certain aspects of my Wing Tsun training. I am fortunate that my current Eskrima coach, Martin Torres is open to this and has helped me capitalize on my WT instincts to make my Eskrima more effective for me.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

My background is Modern Arnis in an org. that has a heavy Balintawak influence in it, so that's my main thing. I certainly add stuff I have picked up here-and-there from Dekiti Tirsia Siradas, Sayoc Kali, and Lameco Eskrima. I never really integrated anything from Eskrido despite studying it for nearly a year. So...not really blended as much as "patched" here and there!

8. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

Oh wow, this is a great question...

My original background was in American Karate/Self Defense. However, even then we were being cross trained under the Inosanto system of Kali, as well as Jun Fan JKD and JKDC. Which included then Muay Thai, Savate, Kickboxing, Silat. As i gained time and rank within this system I started learninghow to seperate them into thier own specific regions.

I have over the years studied a plethora and I mean literally dozens of systems ie, by sharing, seminars, workshops, actually studying etc..I've picked up great things here and there and added this all to my own fighting abilities. I've used many things in real life altercations on the job, or on the street. Many stuff I discharged as being insuficient. When I was approached to teach it was a hard decision. Because I was a mixed pup from the very beginning. So I was like man, what do I teach???? system A, B, C or subsystem D, E, F? Or do I teach a concept of all them together? Do I teach a self defense situation and draw a technique from any of the said martial arts I have experienced. It was a long work in order and I began to confuse myself. so I one day sit down and asked myself. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE? WHAT DO I DO? Chuck all i've leaerned to the corner and continue tostudy Karate and do only Karate and teach only karate? Or do only Kali and chuck the rest? so I sit down and developed a very good outline of a program that draws from everything that I have been fortunate to study over the years. Then came the greater decison what do you call it? Karate, Kali, Martial Arts? My "fill in name here" self defense academy? Oh man this was the biggest thing I had a problem with. Because I had earned instructors rank in several arts!!! what do you teach? How do you put them together? So I done the inevitable.. I just taught it and it worked for the longest time, until some wise guy decided they wanted a "Name and certificate" and something to show he was trainng in said systems.. so i made up generic papers that said X amount of hours spent studying in (__said art___). This worked again for a while until it was time to put a name to the art. Well, that became a real problem... because I had 2 primary teachers and both really didn't call thier systems anything special other than thier last names tagged to the style.. I was like hmmm time to put my own twist to all this if Im going to continue to pass this on.. I didnt like my last name tagged to anything.. so I came up w/ a simple solution which is where Im at today. So today i teach it as 1 way, yet at the same time I seperate the systems as I teach them. So everyone knows where each comes from and where its going and makes them better understand the background and importance of the heritage of the systems andmartial arts in general... As Bruce Lee said " Whats in a name?" Don't fuss over it. since I spent many years following his teachings and studying under many of his influences and students, I decided to follow his footsteps and just carry on my own personal expression of the arts as I learned them over the years and this is "MY WAY" and pass it on to my students just as that... and later on in their martial arts career they are expected to do the same thing as they create "THEIR OWN WAY"... because in essence you can take 2 people from the same teacher and yet you are both going to be different so why say you both teach the same thing.. Because this cannot be truth!!! You may be simular but I can attest that you will be different in more ways than none...Pay debt and give loyalty to your teacher and where you studied and learned yet, when its time to spread your wings and step away from the nest you must create your own home.

9. Pitboss 306

Pitboss 306 New Member

Yang Taichi, Sabre Fencing, Kung Fu energy drills, Thai Kickboxing, Pekiti Tirsia Kali, NSI Arnis. All these contribute to my "art".

Occasionally working the door with buddies at a local hoodrat nightclub contributes to "reality".

10. Demo

Demo New Member

I agree with what some other people said here, "Blending & Naming" can sometimes create more problems than you would think.

Mind you I'm very much a pup insofar as training is concerned, so take this all with salt, but I find myself focusing more on the attributes that each of the three systems I study(JKD/Kali, Serrada Eskrima, and a Chinese/Japanese hybrid).

The Serrada system is quick and close-in, so I try to keep that "feeling" when I practice it. The JKD is inclusive and multi-tiered when it comes to fighting and focuses heavily moreso on the attributes and footwork you need to deliver an attack, and the hybrid depends largely on what aspect of it I am practicing(Mantis, Daito-Ryu, Internal Vs. External, etc...) and I thus try to feel what that is doing.

It's not easy, but i find it eases the strain a bit when I focus less on my ability to absorb endless amounts of form and focus instead more on the "Essence" of how each one wants to work. That way, I feel, it makes things easier when i get to the more lively stuff like various kinds of sparring.

But again, I can alwasy be wrong...

11. UrBaN

UrBaN New Member

Wing Chun, Hapkido, Amok!, Pekiti Tirsia, Warriors Eskrima, JKD, Sayoc Kali, freestyle wrestling, Drawpoint.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  12. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

To be honest, I don't have any idea what comes out when it's time to throw-down based on the varied methods and systems of Kali(or any other art)that I have learned through the years. All I know is that what I find that works for myself, I will keep drilling into the muscle memory process. It all then comes out without even thinking since each of us (as individuals)has our own preferences. Frankly, I don't care WHERE or who it comes from. If I'm sure to know that IF it will work for myself, I am going to use it.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I do tend to remember where I got it from, but I agree--it doesn't matter as long as it's there when I need it!

14. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

A hard question for me to answer in a short space. I most certainly blend. I'm definitely a "mutt", a conglomeration of every combative style I've ever come across. I can't help it. And like I've said before, in my opinion there's not a whole lot of difference between styles for me. So I use whatever presents itself at the time. I'm never looking or searching to use a style or technique (my brain isn't that fast). For the most part I use a technique because it just happens to "show up" at that time. At least that's how things work out for me.

Respectfully,
    Chubs
    :kicknuts:

15. NubreedKaliSilat

NubreedKaliSilat New Member

I started out in Pekiti Tirsia and that was my background, before starting Inosanto Lacoste Blend. I find that the Tri-V stick system of Pekiti Tirsia is a great way to handle most arts, but I have been exposed to alot of the Lameco Escrima and find it pretty good. But, I start all of my student's off with the figure eight and Cinco Taros systems. They teach a good base of movement and keep the practitioner and stick moving......