what type of rattan species can i plant in australia to use for sticks?

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by Kelvin, May 8, 2007.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin New Member

like thread title, what type of rattan species can i plant in australia than i can use to make rattan sticks, i cannot find any reference on the net at all. anyone here from Melbourne/Aus know and grow their own and is it ready available in most nurserys???

Thanks in advance

2. 408kali

408kali New Member

Hey Kelvin,

I would strongly advise that as an alternative if you don't get any responses here or elsewhere, to find rattan furniture hobbyists in your area or country.They are out there, and as opposed to growing your own rattan, you may find that these people have the sweet rattan hookups :p which will save space in your backyard to practice your eskrima.

Another thing I thought of is something I remember mentioned on an FMA website.
    That is, Chinese bamboo, although rare, can also be solid and sturdy.
    Though I haven't seen it up close, I read it is a quality alternative to rattan.
    If all else fails try something such as lemonwood, angico, or brazilian rosewood.
    These are hardwoods that can be worked into sticks. Maybe even try some ironwood indigenous and possibly even less expensive which grows along the coasts of Australia.
    I'm only assuming this because I faintly recall reading somewhere that the aboriginese did utilize a type of ironwood for something or other. That, I'm not 100% sure of, but it may be worth it to investigate.

Hope this helps!

~John