What style of Doce Pares?

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by Pat OMalley, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

OK, here goes the first question.

Out of interest, what style of Doce Pares do you do, or should I say which instructors version of Doce Pares do you do, and how do you feel it differs from some of the other versions or instructors.

Best regards

Pat

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've recently started Doce Pares/Eskrido, but don't yet feel qualified to comment on it!

3. Pat OMalley

Maybe you should, then that can give us a persepctive from a beginners point of veiw which I feel can be less biased than a long term player as they say.

Best regards

Pat

4. bart

bart New Member

San Miguel and Multi-style

I study Doce Pares under Ramon Rubia and Eva Canete Rubia. We ascribe to GM Diony Canete's Multi-style System and our emphasis is the San Miguel Style of GM Momoy Canete. San Miguel is focused around the delivery of power with an emphasis on linear striking patterns utilizing footwork to support a larga mano centered strategy.

Although we develop and utilize the korto kurbada, compared to a lot of other Doce Pares groups we emphasize korto linear much more when up close.

We also advocate sparring in several different methods, not the least of which is WEKAF style, but also full contact with minimal gear, the use of padded stick and goggles, and knife sparring.

We have two forms loosely referred to as the San Miguel Short Form and the San Miguel Long Form. The Short Form is considered to be distilled from the Long Form.

Compared to some other Doce Pares groups our emphasis is focused much more on the individual. We all work from a basic core but the expression of Doce Pares in our members is targetted to fit the individual. The theory being that a person can only use that which is theirs so we must build upon a person's innate strengths.

In class, drills are created extemporaneously along with striking patterns to keep the mind quick and adaptable. No two class sessions are ever the same.

When it comes to Doce Pares, there is so much more that is similar between groups than what is different. Often the differences are visible only to those in the know.

5. Pat OMalley

Ah! That is why I asked the question, a lot of people out there think Doce Pares is the same, which in a way it is, but many also think that that different so called styles (remembering it was a multitude of styles in the first place) is all down to politics when in fact it is mainly down to the instructors personal interpretation of Doce Pares.

I too am from the GM Diony Multi Style camp and I love the Coroto Liner, but I bet we would still look different even though we are from the same camp, That is what I feel makes it great.

Give my regards to Ramon and Eva and hopefully we will meet up soon.

Best regards

Pat

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I'm from the Patalinghug family's branch of Doce Pares. As I understand (and it's been a while since I've gotten together with them), they're most closely aligned with GM Cacoy's style. Though they use a different system of angles, for instance. To be honest, aside from the occassional visit from GM Cacoy over the years, the Patalinghugs are my sole exposure to Doce Pares. I was with them exclusively from 1989 to 1996 thereabouts.

Stuart

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Eskrido.

I've been thinking about this. I'll have a go at it! Eskrido, in my limited experience, uses the stick but typically thinks of it as a blade. The knife and staff are also used. It includes techniques at all ranges but seems to prefer medio-to-corto over largo. There is a strong emphasis on solid blocks, including using the live hand on the opponent's arm/hand when blocking. Most techniques have a similar flow to them: Block, control the arm with the live hand, make a few cuts, lock the arm, takedown, then strike or control. Of course not everything fits this pattern, but most techniques end in a takedown or at least standing control.

The most noticeable things about it to me are the wide variety of sinawalis used--though they seem to be more for general benefits, and not worked into the techniques or fighting strategies so much--and of course the many stick-based locks, takedowns, disarms, crushes (e.g. bicep crush with the stick), etc. The art has a Japanese grappling influence, and it shows!

Also different for me is the number of small cuts used. For example, we do a reverse of the #12 downward stroke in Modern Arnis; this is the upward stroke of rompida. It cuts more-or-less straight up, blade up, palm facing either left or right. In Eskrido this technique is done with a slightly curved path so that the blade follows the edge of the body and then just clips the side/back of the head for a cut. I knew of this interpretation of the motion, but here it is used frequently. With a stick it would be a so-so strike, but with the sword it's a nice cut.

I hope I haven't offended and Eskrido practitioner with my beginner's view of the system!