What Sports Background Makes a Successful Navy SEAL?

Discussion in 'The Den' started by arnisador, Feb 2, 2010.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A typical SEAL? Think 007, not Rambo

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Having had a couple of friends go through BUD'S and make it I am not surprised at all. One was a swimmer and another was a water polo player.

3. punisher73

punisher73 Member

The navy is starting to heavily recruit triathletes (run, swim, bike) since they have the endurance and some have the don't quit mindset from doing the long distances.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

5. sjansen

sjansen New Member

If you can jump off a ten meter board with both your hands and legs bound and make it to the shallow end then you have the skills to try for UDT. I didn't say make it, just try. You will also need to have equal endurance. After the complete course their was a man who's leg cramped after the 10 mile run and could not make the time. He passed all the requirements, but did not keep himself hydrated and failed. He tried to crawl and did to the finish line in the last mile, but was denied.

I did some SEAL training in the marines and know that only those who have the heart, bredth, strength and smarts will make it. There is no grading on a curve. If everyone fails, that is just fine. I was a recovery person in the pool and many did not make it the first try. You fail if you don't automatically. It was just the preamble to being able to get try.