What should I go for

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by Dane, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Dane

Dane New Member

Hi FMA.
    I am an old Modern Arnis (Ernesto Presas style) man and has not trained for many years, but I planning to start again.

But...

What is Modern Arnis to day? ( I am only familiar to Ernesto Presas style back in time)
    I mean there is a lot of difference style of Modern Arnis, when you follow the links http://fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=29. Even Remy Presas style and ranking system is not the same everywhere!?

I am from Denmark. I have found Modern Arnis (Ernesto Presas style) – now Kombatan Arnis by Thorbjørn Hartelius and in Germany, there are Modern Arnis by Dieter Knüttel and Modern Arnis by Master of Tapi-Tapi Gabriele Roloff.

I have now 3 difference way to go!

In Germany Dieter Knüttel is 8.dan and Gabriele Roloff Master of Tapi-Tapi.
    Is it the same Modern Arnis style?
    Is Dieter the highest graded or is it Gabriele?

What should I go for ?

Hope for some help/input here, I am a bit confused.

Best regards

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Hi Dane and welcome! I just wanted to say congrats about getting back into Modern Arnis training. We have some of the most widely respected Modern Arnis practitioners in the world on this forum regularly, and I am sure that one of them will come along and offer you some great insight about your options. In addition, there are some other forums where a good deal of very highly regarded Modern Arnis players hang out as well. If you are looking for more feedback on your options or different insights than what you end up getting here, you may also consider posting a message on any of the following forums in addition to FMAtalk:

http://www.budoseek.net
    http://www.fmaforum.org
    http://www.cssdsc.com

Good luck in your training!

Galang,

Jason

3. Datu Dieter

Datu Dieter Junior Member

Hi Dane,

I think it is a thing for you, what is possible for you.
    If a club of Thorbjörn is nearby, go for it. Toby was a long time student of mine and he is very good.

Of course you would also be very welcome in the DAV, if you can make it to Germany for the seminars.
    The styles: With Thorbjörn, you will find pretty pure Ernesto Style with some knife aspects from other systems
    With Gaby, you find pretty pure Remy Presas styles,
    and with me and the DAV, (www.modern-arnis.de) you find Modern Arnis from all different phases of Remy's life, from the 70ies to the end of the 90ies, plus also some Ernesto aspects.

Regarding rank: Gaby is 5th Dan and Master of Tapi Tapi,
    I am 8th Dan, Datu and Grandmaster.

But the question who is higher is not important.
    Have a look at the different groups and train, where you think you like it best. Also, see what is convenient for you.
    If a club of one group is nearby to where you live, this it is most probably the easiest way for you.

And you can always visit the seminars of the different groups to find out about the differences.

Good luck in your research. It is fun.

Dieter Knüttel

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I think Dieter gave you a good idea in that maybe check out each teacher and see if they would work for you. Personally, I like the way Dieter and his people from the DAV move and also that they are so well organized. I think that would be a great fit if you can of course make it work. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Datu Dieter

Thanks, [​IMG]

nice to hear!

Dieter

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Datu,

As a quick question just for my own education on FMA in general, what are the knife aspects from other arts that you mentioned Thorbjörn bringing into Modern Arnis? Being in the States, this doesn't affect my training, but I am curious.

Thanks!

7. Datu Dieter

Well, the knife things I have seen from Thorbjorn I have not seen from Ernesto.
    So I think he got it is from somewhere else.

Thats all.

8. Dane

Dane New Member

Thank you all for response,

Dieter: There is not a club from Thorbjørn nearby and I (+ one more) planning to start our own club. So no easy way :eek:

If we join Thorbjørn and his way/style. Is it then possible to visit DAV seminars etc. and invite you or other from DAV to Denmark ?

About the rank, it was only for my own interest, I have never heard about Gabriele and “Tapi-Tapi” and you right it is not important.

9. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks!

10. Datu Dieter

That is right.
    If you want to establish your own club and would like to join or associate with the DAV that ifs fine and you are very welcome.
    In that case please email me private so we can discuss this more closely
    datu@modern-arnis.de

Yes, this is not a problem from our side.
    On the other hand it would be nice to establish the DAV i.e. the DAV program again in Denmark.

OK.

Looking forward to hear from you again.

Dieter

11. Datu Dieter

Where in Denmark are you?

12. Dane

Dane New Member

I am from Odense and a old student of Jorgen Gydesen.
    I will talk to my buddy about the possibilities.

Thanks for your help.

13. Datu Dieter

Odense, that is nice.
    This is where I taught my first Modern Arnis seminar outside of Germany.
    I think it was in 1984.
    I will see Jorgen this weekend. He will come to my house.

Keep me informed about your decisions.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How are things going with your studies?

15. Dane

Dane New Member

If everything goes well, we will start a new school in Odense this autum.
    We will join GM Thorbjørn Hartelius Kombatan Arnis Denmark