What is your fitness regimen for eskrima?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tagadagat, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Tagadagat

Tagadagat New Member

What do you do to help build your fitness levels for Eskrima? Do you do eskrima specific activities (e.g. only done because it may benefit eskrima play), do you do more generalist fitness activities (e.g. running for endurance, powerlifting for strength, etc...), or do you mix and match?

2. BayaniWarrior

BayaniWarrior New Member

Great topic of discussion! Fitness is integral to the Eskrimador. However, the fitness needs are rather unique and require a lot of sports specificity in the workouts I do.

Since FMA is a martial art that requires a high level of coordination, balance, and dexterity than most other martial arts, it is essential that one works out with these requirements in mind in addition to developing strength, power, and conditioning.

Some of the essential components of my FMA conditioning workouts are:

1) Jumping Rope: This is, in my humble opinion, the single most important conditioning exercise for the FMA practitioner. It develops footwork, coordination, agility, and timing...all attributes that are essential in the FMAs. In addition, the manner in which you hold a jump rope's handles is similar to the way many of us hold our sticks, knives, etc. Jumping rope is also one of the best cardio workouts around.

2) Heavy Bag Training: This is second to jumping rope. Hold a stick in your hand and work moving around the bag, striking it, and working your attack/defense combinations. I like to stickfight a bag while also using my live hand to punch, slap, and check the bag. I incorporate kicks as well. Make sure to alternate arms every round to make sure both sides of your body are equally strong.

3) Sledgehammer slams on a tire: This builds core, rotational strength, as well as overall power through body and grip conditioning. The act of taking a sledgehammer and slamming it into a tire mirrors the movements of swinging a weapon around and is a total body workout.

4) Yoga: The stances develop balance and are very specific to a lot of FMA movements (especially Warrior 1 and Warrior 2). Yoga is also awesome for developing calm, focus, strength, endurance, and helps you recover from workouts faster.

In addition, I like to go running, oftentimes while swinging a stick in my hand. Depending on the law where you live, this may or may not be acceptable, but I can run through my neighborhood while doing this and receive no problems.

Hope that helps!

Respects,
    Guro Mike Pana
    www.bayaniwarrior.com

3. coyote

coyote New Member

Crossfit... My endurance and strength has grown by leaps an bounds in 1 year.

4. Tagadagat

Tagadagat New Member

Ive heard nothing but good things about crossfit. Can you comment further on what aspects of your FMA has benefited the most due to your Crossfit training.

5. MilkManX

MilkManX New Member

I am not training in FMA yet but I do Enshin Karate and the biggest bang for my buck has been Kettlebell training. It has pushed my stamina and strength way past where I was at. I also love Heavy bag work and Jump Rope.