What is Kuatro Konto in K.I.?

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by Fan the Madman, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Fan the Madman

Fan the Madman Circles with Knives

Hey folks,
    I was browsing over the K.I. subforum threads and spotted something
    that caught my interest and I was hoping you could explain it.

"Cuatro Cantos - "4 corners" a KI drill used with all weapon categories to develop proper sectoring, footwork, controlling of range etc."

The Largo Mano style of Arnis I learned has a drill (a very important
    drill) by this name also. It starts out as basically what most FMA
    players call "high low sinawali" or "four count" sinawali.

But from there you mix up the sides (all the while staying on the 2 beats)
    etc and it becomes the fundamental driving drill that you can extrapolate
    the whole system from the very simple Kuatro Konto drill.

Could someone explain in basic terms how the Cuatro Contos drill
    works in K.I.? I'm mainly just curious if it's just a grammatical similarity
    or if the similarity is functional also. I'm pretty sure there is little
    or no lineage relationship between the arnis I learned and the K.I.
    system (the one I learn is ostensibly from Luzon, P.I.).

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Cuatro Cantos is a counter/re-counter flow drill that starts with the base pattern of angles 1-5 and a base set of defensive techniques. A feeder/trainer role is to initiate the attacks while the person counters. The basic method is for the feeder to simply jam each final movement. And as the drill progresses, the feeder can re-counter with his weapon or live-hand. Ultimately, the goal is for the trainee to steal the position of feeder/trainer. The drill is done in corto-medio range and can be performed with various mixed and matched weapons as well as E-H vs. weapons. The essentials are to improve footwork for effective zoning, enhance the bantay-kamay (live hand), control range and counter/re-counter efficiently without hesitation. Unlike numerado where random attacks have little to no follow through and countered in an almost dance like manner, Cuatro Cantos simulates the same energy as a skirmish or fight because the progress eventually develops both practitioners as the roles of trainer/trainee can change an any given time.

3. Fan the Madman

Fan the Madman Circles with Knives

Thanks for the response John. Sounds vaguely similar... I'll have to find
    a K-I player someday who can demo this.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, I'm familiar with somewhat similar drills (I think). How do you mean "the feeder to simply jam each final movement?" By jam do you mean a live hand keeping it from coming into play, or a block that's relatively far from the blocker's body and close to his opponent, or...?

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

The basic begins with the trainee using a simple counter cut and follow-up to head. Therefore, the trainer uses his bantay-kamay to jam the opponents weapon-hand on his follow-up.

6. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

I was 5 and my grandfather(mom's pop) ran a little barangay store in the province miles off from the main road that goes at approx 6.5 to 7 hrs on a bus ride to and fro to Manila. When I saw the words, "kuatro kantos", I immediately pictured as clear as day the bottle of "ang tunay na ginebra", San Miguel Gin. which the body of the bottle has 4 corners. In the evenings, the men working the fields all day come to the store to get their drink on. I've even witnessed a few fights of fieldmen getting drunk on San Miguel gin but for the most part, it was all guitar and singing and they were funny too.