What is Kombatan?

Discussion in 'Kombatan' started by Bob Hubbard, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Who developed it?

How did it get the name?

Who's the notable practitioners?

Where can I study it?

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Kombatan was founded by Ernesto Presas, Remy Presas's brother!
    For a long time he taught under the name Modern Arnis but
    changed it I believe around eight or so years ago! Very fluid and
    very similar to Modern Arnis as you would expect. I have seen
    it in action and was impressed. Some of the drills are definately
    different but that is to be expected as Grandmaster Presas own
    unique flair came to the front! As to training in it Grandmaster
    Presas has come to the states in the past for seminars and has
    also run a camp in the phillipines as well. In the past his website
    was www.kombatan.com ! Currently this site is down and he is
    probably reorganizing it! All in all if you get a chance to train in
    it you will probably like it Bob!

Brian R. VanCise

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

4. Brian R. VanCise

Does anyone know if Grandmaster Ernesto Presas will be having a
    camp in the Phillipines in 2006? I liked the look of his 2005 camp
    and heard great, great reviews from a couple of people who
    attended. If you here of one for 2006 let us know so that some
    of us could plan on going.

Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

5. KrissOfSweden

KrissOfSweden Member

i know there are going to be one in 2007 early spring maybe... but i don't know if there is going to be any 2006...

6. Brian R. VanCise

7. KrissOfSweden

KrissOfSweden Member

The main big diffrence between these brothers arts are at least to my knowledge that kombatan has more double stick, i maybe wrong in that point(?) if so correct me... :D

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It does, and that's what I've always thought of as the biggest difference too. But I understand that some Kombatan practitioners find this a bit too simple a distinction! They think that Modern Arnis people tend to over-estimate the importance of double stick work in Kombatan.

9. KrissOfSweden

KrissOfSweden Member

My teacher is a long time student of Presas, he went over to the Philippines in feb-mars he told me they did very much doublestick, besides that, of course i understand that the art is not only doublestick as i understand they do lot of things, almost everything.. :p he he...

So i hope if am kind and nice to my teacher he maybe can teach me some kombatan to.. (A) In the future.. :) I have done som kombatan doublestick things, but not to the extent of what you can do:D

10. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

I heard a rumor that GM Ernesto Presas had retired, and can't seem to pull up kombatan.com or kombatan.net. The .org goes to a Swedish site that didn't mention any retirement.
    http://kombatan.org/

11. armas

armas Junior Member

Hi Guys!
    GM Ernesto has not retired yet. He concentrated in Europe last year. Our lost. KrisofSweden is right that the camp is most likely on the 2007. GM conducts the camp every 2 yrs in Negros Occidental. Home of the Presas family.

Regarding the scope of Kombatan. We train first in Double sticks (sinawali drills) are taught for balance of left and right. Better coordination, rhythm, etc. We cover classical arnis(figure 8, force to force, Palis-palis, hirada batanguena,etc) and modern arnis in single stick. We work on espada y daga alot. Daga sa daga/knife work, dulo dulo/palmstick, bankaw/staff, and Mano mano/emptyhand fighting. The main goal is to learn how to flow in all ranges and weapons or emptyhand.

I feel the difference between the two systems is only the personality put into their way of teaching. Why? I have seen the classical curriculum as taught by GM Remy. And it is very similar. Except for the palis palis. GM Remy concentrated on the tapi-tapi aspect then as time went by he went back to his roots Balintawak. (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG. I have very limited knowledge in GM Remy's system) That is what he told me and showed me when I met him and mentioned I was one of the instructors of his brother from the Philippines.

GM Ernesto always emphasized we should study the old to understand teh new Modern arnis. We do have an extensive espada y daga, daga, dulo dulo and mano mano curriculum. Not sure if GM Remy taught much of this. I have limited amount of knowledge in GM Remy's curriculum.

Hope this helps. And Happy New Year!!!!!!!1

12. KombatanNYC

KombatanNYC New Member

Because I have only studied Kombatan and not Modern Arnis, my perspective is very one-sided so take it with a grain of salt. That being said, the largest differences that I have observed in practitioners of the two arts lies more in form than technique. Kombatan has both a modern and classical component and the distinguishing characteristic between each lies in the form of the application of the technique. Stick techniques, sinawalis, blocks etc… apply more of a linear motion to maximize the efficiency of the weapon whereas this is modified to a more circular motion in classical technique. One defining characteristic of Kombatan therefore is it's big chambers. At the 2005 summer camp I took notice of the huge red X formed on Master Ernesto Jr’s (Jan Jan) back as he demonstrated sinawalis.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Is Roberto Presas involved with Kombatan? I know he has his own system now, Hinigaran Arnis de Mano, but is also a Modern Arnis practitioner. I don't know if that's meant only in the sense of Remy Presas' art--he did promote him--or if it is also meant to include Ernesto Presas' art.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Does anyone have a date of birth for Ernesto Presas? It would be nice to be able to add that fact!

15. armas

armas Junior Member

If not mistaken, GM Ernesto was born May 20,1945.

16. Boar Man

Boar Man New Member

A freind of mine who went to Austraila to train with GM at his latest camp told me it was May 21st, I don't know the year. Where or when he found out this date I'm not sure, he told me he had spent a lot of time with GM while there talking to him and such, and then he told me his birthday was coming up on the 21st.

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The Wikipedia entry now reflects that but is still very short!

18. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Kombaton

Kombaton Has sunki ti-dulo dulo-tickie tickie foot work-figure 8-redondo-espada y daga-bonkow or staff-nunchukas-balisong-kuntao-to name a few of some of the old & some of the new.Im sure the old guys will recignise what I say.Hows this for the old ways (it is the stick-it is the hand -it is the sword-no bady can touch you.)Dose that bring back a bit.

19. johnzag

johnzag Junior Member

Guys the new website for Kombatan is www.presas.org. Grand Master is slowly starting to ease back on the amount of travelling that he has been doing but is far from retired as everyone who attended the recent camp in Australia witnessed.

The next camp will be in April/May next year in the Philippines. It is set to be an extra special one as I think if all goes well Grand Master intends to open a museum to the filipino martial arts before the camp with a hall of fame for all filipino martial arts styles.

Some other good websites for Kombatan are;

www.k2kombatan.com
    www.mssd.com.au
    www.kombatankc.com
    www.kombatan.org
    www.kombatan.us

and i know of many others if you have any interest.

20. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

I just had some friends return from the Kombatan camp on Negros Occidental, there was also a FMA Museum & a FMA Hall of Fame ceremony in Manila. 2 instructors Concepcion & Castro in California got promoted to 9th Dan by GGM Presas himself with the paperwork too at the Kombatan camp. A movie was also filmed called Eskrima-Arnis 1, heard there were some great fight scenes with sticks. Are there a lot of Kombatan schools in California? How about throughout the states?? Everyone said they had a good time,people from all over,Poland etc... Pacific Northwest etc...