What Is Datu?

Discussion in 'General' started by The Phalanx, Oct 31, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Is that a rank? When I was in the Philippines Datu meant someone who is rich... Rich in money... What does Datu mean in FMA?

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Datu means chieftain of king/leader of a tribe (blue blood/Royalty).
    It is also given as a title to students of Modern Arnis who has mastered the Art personally given by GM Presas himself.

It is in our history books (Datu).I thought you where Filipino? Did you go to school in the Philippines? Cause even i know what it means. No offense.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  3. The Phalanx

When I was there we referred to Datu as someone rich... Ie: "Datu na siya kaayo" He's very rich now... That is in Cebuano or at least where I came from it was... That is how I remembered it... I left PI when I was young...

4. Phil Mar Nadela

I am Bisaya too! Taga asa man diay ka? Do you still speak Bisaya?

5. The Phalanx

I'm guessing you asked which part I'm from... I'm from City of Naga in Cebu... At least last I heard it's now a city... It's been almost 17 years since I went back there...

No, I don't... My step-father was White and did not like to hear Filipino being spoken aorund the house... So I grew up speaking english at school and at home til I forgot most of it... Hawai'i has a lot of Filipino but they're mostly Ilocanos and don't speak Visayan...

6. Phil Mar Nadela

To bad that you forgot the language, i too am forgetting our dialect. I am trying to learn more tagalog though at a local community center here who has a Filipino club. At least i will learn the national language and pass it on to my children someday.

Anywho, you should try to read more about the 7 Datu's ( I think 7). It is a legend on how indo/malayan people settled in the Phillippines. I'm not sure if there is a book, but my dad use to tell me about it and i read about it in mark wiley's book Filipino martial Culture.

Youre lucky to live in Hawii, where i live there is a lot less Filipino's and only a few FMA masters.

7. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

Hey man, I lived in Naga from 2003-2005, when I was in the Peace Corps. It wasn't a city when I left, but it is now. I worked at the High School. I love that place.

Pete

8. The Phalanx

If I go back there, I should be able to re-learn the dialect in a week...

Yeah, Hawai'i does have a lot of FMA masters... I'm also thinking of joining an MMA gym when I can...

I'll check on the 7 Datu's... You should also read The Art Of War by Sun Tzu if you haven't already, I love that book...

9. The Phalanx

Yeah, it is now... I've seen some of the pix of the place and it has changed a lot since I left there... I came from a place called Tuyan in Naga... You probably have passed that place a few times when you go to Cebu City...

I might go back there and chill at the beach my mom owns over there, eat some lapulapu fish, and drink some tuba... :cheers:

10. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

11. Nakiko

Nakiko New Member

Hey Phalanx, where in Hawaii you at?

12. citom

citom New Member

The legend of the Ten Bornean Chiefs (called "Datu") who emigrated to Panay Island is told in a collection known as "Maragtas".
    You can read more about it here:
    http://http://www.mts.net/~pmorrow/marag_e.htm

Maaaring basahin din ito as wikang Filipino:
    http://www.mts.net/~pmorrow/marag_f.htm

13. Phil Mar Nadela

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  14. citom

citom New Member

My bad.. typo in the URL.. Paumanhin po! (Sorry about that!)

Ito po ang tamang pahina sa wikang Ingles:
    (Here is the correct URL for the english language page)
    http://www.mts.net/%7Epmorrow/marag_e.htm

15. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

I am bisaya too bai... if you want we can have a visayan conversation here I lived at the city proper the urban place... if your forgeting some of it maybe I could help reminding you of it. magbinisaya ta oi![​IMG]

16. Phil Mar Nadela

Bisayang dako ni bay! my dad told me to say that i don' know waht it means but he smiled. I am glad to know to find our peoples here in this forum.

I understand bisaya but i have a hard time understand old bisayan. Looking forward to talking to you more.

Maayong panghinaot sa maayong panglawas kaninyong tanan sa banay.

Phil Mar Nadela