What is a good way to train alone.

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by New escrima guy, Aug 24, 2006.

1. New escrima guy

New escrima guy New Member

After class I write down what I learned. This seems to help memorize the techniques. I also practice everyday.

Are there any other methods to practice.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

Those sound like verry good ways to train by oneslef to me

3. One of the major problems encountered by new students to the FMA is that most of the training involves the use of a training partner for the execution of techniques. An esential part of being able to train solo is to develop good visualisation skills. Once you can do this you will find that you can take the partner exercise and complete the sequence on your own. Having a good heavy bag or tierbag is another way to develop specific striking skills. I also have a 10 foot bamboo pole around 10" across which I burried 2 feet into the ground which I also use.

If your particular style features forms training (solo routines) this is also a good method of training on your own. Footwork can be trained by using marking tape or chalk on the floor and follwing the various lines etc.

Above all, a good imagination and strong visualisation skills are the key.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This is so very true. I recently got a B.O.B. to help with that, but still, a partner is needed for so very many standard drills.

Yes, you can certainly practice many partner drills with visualization, and there are solo striking drills one can do beyond simple twirling (which is what I see many people do as their 'solo' practice). It's a good time to practice combination strikes, esp. on a bag!

5. Your coming from the same place as me there arnisador, All most people do is stick twirling (nice for demos). I have a bob in my gym, its a great training aid but I still prefere my bamboo pole. I had a thought today when I was training on it and am going to attach a length of rope to it (at about shoulder height (to simulate an opponents arm. (trouble with a rigid extension arm (like the Mook Jong) you don't get the feel of controling and moving your opponents arm. Hopefully this will help with that.

6. I have a lot of my own students ask about training on their own. I always tell them that it is important to have an end in mind. I have seen many people training on their own and they jump from one thing to another, to another. This is not a constructive way to train. Unfortunately, we human beings get bored very quickly, especially when it comes to repetative actions. It is important to develop self-discipline and work through the boredom.

I have my own daily regime which last for approx 2 hours. I start by completing 100 reps of all the basic 12 double stick warm-up drills I use from my syllabus. I make sure I do 100 reps of each. Then I practice 100 reps of all 12 basic double stick sinawali combinations. Then I do the same with single stick (working 100 reps right then 100 reps left).

Next I will work on other areas of my syllabus/curriculum (I work different areas on different days). However each area I work on I first set a time goal using a stop watch. This way I know I have to work through to the end.

When I practice forms, I have a wooden peg cradle (I had someone make it for me). It has 10 pegs which can be knocked down using a small wooden mallet. I use this as a tally count. Sometimes just for counting 10 reps of a form, other times.... and this is where it really helps. I count each rep of the form 10 times then knock down one peg. This way I get all 10 pegs knocked down and I know I have completed 100 reps of the form... I know that sound crazy, but when you do that many reps of a form it can take up to 2 - 3 hours (depending on the form/ San Miguel form takes just over 5 mins to complete). You tend to go off into a wierd world after a while and easily lose count. I got the idea for the wooden peg cradle from a Japanese karate instuctor of mine years ago who used one for tallying his kata practice.

Over the years I have found this the best way for my personal solo training. Its hard, some days I really don't feel like it. But I do it anyway.

I also tell my students that its important to play with your martial arts. Formal sessions are important, focused solo training is important but playing is just as important. We learn most when having fun.

Well thats my regime and my advise... hope it helps

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  7. salurian

salurian New Member

Very good thread. That helps me, too. I often train alone, because no partner is available. I build a dummy with three tires. On this one I train the 12 basic strikes, curve strikes, abanicos, wikits etc.pp
    After that I start to hit fix comibinations on the tire, then I start to do strike at my own will.
    After that I´am doing heaven six double stick on the tire and start to change the lines in all possible combinations. This keeps me busy for a while.
    Finally I will do the empty hand application of the heaven six on the tire.
    I don´t have a real time schedule, I just do it as long as I like to. But I will try stickmans approach, because I thinks it´s very disciplined and helps to achieve a good level of concentration.