What grip do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Apr 12, 2006.

1. silat1

silat1 Active Member

12 or 16 grips? In the heat of battle, the grip is what you can grab and use the knife as a defensive means to end the situation as soon as you can..
    Personally, I prefer the saber grip if I am using my bowie or my randall 14.. I have a custom miniature Kukri that works better in the reverse grip than it works for the straight or hammer grip.. I use it with the panatukan aspects of what I teach, similar use as a karambit. But it is something that I am playing with now so if feels comfortable..

As far as the other grips, they are personal preference depending on how you are trained in the use of the knife.. Since my blade of preference is a bowie or similar blade design that is what works for me at present.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I think a lot of us use many of those grips, switching smoothly or grabbing what we can as has been suggested. We just don't separately name them and view them as separate grips---we think of them as variations on a basic grasp of the weapon.

I think it's a matter of how analytical one wants to be, or how much vocabulary one requires to describe techniques. It's like Kenpo--I think their extensive nomenclature is great for communication but somewhat limiting of spontaneity.

3. Topeng

Topeng New Member

For some reason pakal seems the most natural. I'm still learning though.