What FMA DVDs would you recommend?

Discussion in 'General' started by Battle Born Arnis, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Battle Born Arnis

Battle Born Arnis New Member

What FMA DVD would you recommend? Please state the title, instructor(s), style and any other important info about this DVD. Why do you think these DVDs are worth watching?

2. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

I'll write up more later, but basically the Dog brothers, Atienza, and Floro Fighting systems ones are the best I've seen.

3. kaliman1978

kaliman1978 New Member

Mike JAnich is pretty good as far as material goes, but I would have to say that dvd's are more for those who already have a solid fma foundation, or for a person who may have interest in seeing what fma may be about. As far as learning nothing beats going to a reputable source of information. Do you have any fma instructors in your area? If not get in contact with one of the many here on this forum and see if you can get them to your hometown to teach an introductory workshop.

4. rooke

rooke New Member

DVD's

For FMA, I'd say anything and everything by Guro Dan Inosanto. There is no other.

For a realistic head-check on what can be pulled off in a sparring engagement with a non-cooperative partner, Dog Brothers. The sparring footage alone is worth its weight in gold.

For Empty Hand skills, Steve Grody's "Empty Hands of Kali" series.

---

And I thought I'd throw in Indonesian martial arts as a "must have" or two...

For Kuntao, anything by Bob Orlando is eye-opening due to his straight-forward explanations.

For Dutch-Indo Silat, Stevan Plinck's Bukti Negara video.

---

Just as a note: My FMA videos tended more towards the JKD crew. I've found their material to USUALLY contain more street-applicable information. They (I feel) really embrace the meat of the art.

My Indonesian focus tended more towards the "Next-Gen" folks. People who studied directly with the Dutch-Indo pioneers who brought the arts here. I've found that they tend to lay things out in a more methodical, and better explained manner.

But those are just my opinions. Your mileage may vary.
    Rooke

5. Battle Born Arnis

I appreciate the comments. I'll look up the suggestions asap. What I am looking for is to start my own dvd library of fma. So the styles that have been mentioned are definitely kewl. Would you guys happen to know the titles of the dvd so I can order them. Some of you have answered the title part, this is for those who has skipped that part. If you only know partial info, then I will make do.

I do agree videos are not the best way to learn. I do believe that they are great support material to your training.

And no there are no instructors in my area which happens to be in Reno Nevada. I have to go to Lake Tahoe, but it is worth it as my instructor is very very good. I am learning alot from my instructor. I have been training since April 09 and have been very diligent in practice (about avg 2 hours / day) 1-4 hours per session. FMA is so fun with friends, time flies.. Just the last 2 weeks where I have to temporarily assume mgr position at work that I cant workout. Hell I am just taking a break from work which is how I can post this reply.

There are FMA practitioners in Reno but there are no FMA schools, rather more mainstream karate, kung fu, etc. I have heard that some instructors do teach eskrima to their select few students, likely to be their black belts.

6. I've got a related question on this topic.

I don't watch many DVDs like this and get my fix of all things new and unusual from you-tube.

However, I am always asked to sell these kinds of DVDs and in particular of our art (Bahad Zu'bu). So next year I will really push GM Yuli to try and make one.

On that theme what is it that people look for in this kind of media?

My own thoughts are:

1) Something new and interesting (i.e not the same thing just re-hashed)
    2) Something that the viewer gets something from. Whether further understanding
    or a certain movement to analyze and practice etc
    3) A high-skill level on display. It's always great to see good people move
    4) Something that is well put together (filming, narration, material covered, etc, etc)

I would welcome any thoughts to help me develop one or two ideas I've got kicking about.

Simon.

7. corwin137

corwin137 Slayer of knuckledraggers

Plus one for the Dan Inosanto and Steve Grody vids. *raises hand for bias confession and full disclosure*

8. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Bob Orlando is a personal friend of mine and an all around great guy. I know that everyone appreciates how he simplifies things. [​IMG]

9. Battle Born Arnis

hmmmm. good question about what does one look for in a good fma dvd. well people, everyone is welcome to reply to that very interesting question.

my own thoughts. you tube helps. you tube does not help.
    you tube helps in that it is a medium in which someone can be exposed and become interested to an art. you tube can help learn someone learns as you can see how many other martial artists perform. simply put there is alot of ideas that is available for someone to observe, analyze, and learn from.

you tube does not help. many of the postings are done without continuity. you'll see disarms, drills, and wild assortments of patchwork videos. one day you learn basic arithmetic, the next calculus, then something in between, etc. basically there is no curriculum.

also many of the postings are of poor quality. you may learn the "wrong" thing. you may learn incomplete stuffs as well since many would not reveal their "secrets".

you tube is a tool , but as with any tools, there are pros and cons.

what am i lookin for in a dvd or dvd series. a curriculum. basics, intermediate, to advance. strategies, tactics, drills.

curriculum-an example may be first footwork, basic strikes, counters, disarms, etc. some kind of structure. some kind of approach to your presentation

strategies-well what is the approach of your style.

tactics-reversing, picking, changing angles by using the wrists, etc

drills-6 count and 10 count for modern arnis and in the school that I am attending, we mix up modern arnis drills with kombatan drills. alot of fun omg....i love drills. hours go by and it is the sun setting that determines that practice is over.

these are some of the main points that i am looking for in a dvd or dvd series.
    others may also be looking for history of the art and of the philippines,etc.

10. Thanks for your post.

Yes, I guess what a DVD offers v youtube is a better structure and explanation of what is going on.

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

He already has one, I watched sometime last year, very good content if you look past the sound of the fan in the background.

What I hate about many MA DVD's is when they talk for 45 minutes and teach absolute basics for 15 minutes, slow motion it, freeze frame it and recap it loads of times. Why, it's a DVD my remote can do all that for me.

When I made my first DVD I made sure I did not put in all the stuff I hate about many of the training films I have seen over the years, in fact I look at it and I was surprised I actually done something like 3 drills in 3 minutes. I informed my veiwers that I was not going to constantly repeat things, slow them down and freeze them and told them to use their remote to do that, that way I could pack a whole lot more information in the 1 hour film. That and I beleive in pricing it appropriately, and not over pricing it as this only encourages people to copy it.

And to answer the original question: I would recommend mine obviously ;)

Best regards

Pat

12. Thanks for your thoughts Pat. I am in agreement with the slow-mo thing. With a remote control there is no excuse for the same scene dragged out for ever. However, different angles would be nice I feel?

Yes, I am aware of that video but it was not on widespread release and like you said was not professionally made. Probably this one:

[​IMG]

Though the cover was well done!

As you know, Master Yuli is more into the art then PR so I am trying to prod him to do some more things for general release. He has also refined the curriculum since it was shot too.

I don't mind too much as I have probably over 100 hours of footage on my PC but it would be nice to add to the basics that are on you-tube.

13. Pat OMalley

I watched one particular set of DVD's from two well known instructors that where priced around £30 each ($45 USD) they where titles 'Intermediate' and 'Advanced' Kali.

The 'Intermediate' had a whole heap of talking, 5 basic strikes and some triangle footwork and that was it??? The 'Advanced' was 'Lets recap the last DVD and then do the same all over again and add a couple of disarms????

Well all I thought is, if this is the intermediate and advance then they guys that have been with me a year must be Grand Masters. Luckily someone let me borrow them to look at as I certainly would have been well pissed if I had shelled out all that money for such little content.:redhot:

Best regards

Pat

14. Pat OMalley

Could well be that one, but the cover I have is different. It has great content which is all I am interested in anyway, I tend to turn off the sound a lot of the time and study more what is going on, I find I pick up more from them that way as all to often it is not what is being said that is important, but the little things that they do but dont mention that gets me interested.

But yeah you keep prodding him as he has some world class stuff to share with the world and I think if he had a set of well structured DVD's they would go down a storm. Get him to do what I done, get a nice backdrop outside, you know palm trees, beach, sea veiws etc and strut his stuff and then get someone to do a voice over explaining what is going all, that way it gets away from the old boring studio look and you can cram a good sized content within the DVD.

Best regards

Pat

15. Thanks for the tips. I was at a Kali Ilustrisimo filming last year and they used a white background (like at a photo place) and I wondered what would be best. Unfortunately, there are no beaches and palm trees in Manila :( Though I will see plenty on vacation in Bantayan next week :)

There are lots of roosters and people belting out "Air Supply" on KTV machines however :( So, the background noise is definitely a consideration. I watched one of his videos and it was filmed under a basketball court :( Not the best decision but with Master Yuli you never know when he's going to do something that you would like on film.

Anyway, he is leaving to teach in Morocco for 2/3 months tomorrow and then off to Singapore in December so I have a few more months to think of a plan of attack.

Something that is also theoretically problematic is what content to show? If the DVD has our art condensed and spoon-fed would it stop people from attending seminars / going to train with instructors? I'm sure there must be some kind of balance that will provide value for money and add further interest in the art.

16. Pat OMalley

If you can get a directional mic for the camera that helps a hell of a lot, we used one when we filmed our DVD in Cebu, we had the roosters, motor bikes and a swiming pool full of kids in the background and on occoasion you think you can hear a goose squaking, when in fact it was my 9 month old duaghter hahahaha, but the directional mike cut 80% out.

Will it stop people comming to the seminars? Not the serious ones, I think less and less people are actually willing to travel nowadays for training, I would and still do travel anywhere if I think the training is worth it, but DVD's also help to encourage people to come see you too. Obviously you dont put everything in and you do tend to leave out some bits, but think of it this way, it is also a way to advertise your system to the masses too and gain some interest and they actually pay you too which is a bonus.

And if they dont like your stuff then fine, it is also a good way of filtering out the time waisters, for the ones who have already seen your films already know that it is you they want to come and see.

Best regards

Pat

17. qwertz

qwertz New Member

Do you mean Morocco in North Africa? If you mean that, it would have been helpful to know about this some time earlier. It is not mentioned in your events section of your forum (http://www.bahadzubughq.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0). North Africa is not that far away from Europe, so maybe there would have been some interested parties from Europe to attend.

kind regards

18. Pat OMalley

Well he is there for 2 to 3 months so plenty of time to sort something out maybe?

19. qwertz

qwertz New Member

I thought he is there for 2/3 (read: two third) of a month. but maybe it is a detail, that I understood wrong.

kind regards

20. Hi Gwerz,

Yes, 2 - 3 months. It is Morocco as in Northern Africa.

Due to the nature of the contract (i.e the employers) I have specifically been asked (by them) not to publicize it on the internet. It's also all been a bit sudden with somebody actually coming here and deciding who to make the contract offer to and then leaving for Morocco together.

My understanding is that he will be private teaching for around 4 hours a day and free at weekends. If anybody wants to visit him for instruction between now and November please contact me and I can try and help you with it.

Simon.