What do you do to get STRONG?

Discussion in 'General' started by geezer, Jun 7, 2008.

1. geezer

geezer Member

Most folks do some cardio work, some calisthenics, stretching, maybe a weight routine, some bag or tire-stack work and a lot of training when they want to get stronger. As a geezer, this is getting tougher every year, so I'm always looking at what others do. Do you guys have any favorite or unusual conditioning methods you'd like to share?

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've been looking at kettlebell training. From what I've been hearing it's a bit easier on the body than traditional weight lifting and better at creating more functional overall body strenght.

3. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Geezer,

Great question!

I am 43 years of age and I currently find it more and more difficult to do half the things that I could do when I was 18. With that being said I stay in reasonable fighting condition for my age. I spend most of my time sparring and the rest working with body weight. Push-ups, pull-ups, dips, knee bends and mountain climbers make up my typical calisthenic work-out and my cardio work-out includes jumping rope, sprinting and walking a few miles a day.

I have to say though that as I get older I am not ratcheting up my physical conditioning in a feeble attempt to compensate for the aging process but rather I am becoming a smarter fighter who is always looking to create short-cuts which generate positive results without diminishing effect in the process.

I spend more time working on timing, recovery, non-telegraphic striking and I now limit centerline infractions to a minumum which require less of a recovery effort by which to compensate for the violation. I am a more patient fighter now more so than I was when I was 18 because I realize that I have to make all of my opportunities pay off with great dividends now that I am older with minimal risk invested.

As I get EVEN older I am sure that I will wean myself from garote altogether in favor of relying more on the less forgiving Itak or Baraw which both require much less effort in maneuvering with greater effect with the potential for more deadly results albeit alot more final results where the means have to justify the end.

Guro Dave Gould.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I have been kettle bell working for 4 years now. It absolutely will yoke you out. I also do old time strength work. I put a 65 lb heavy bag across the shoulders and do field lunges...I love to power lift as well. Club bells are my new passion and one of my favorite workouts is rock throwing. I have a 30 lb. boulder I heave over my head..I sprint to it..drop down do 10 quick prison pushups ..pop up grab the boulder chuck back the other way..and repeat..it is definitely a puker. Also pork chops, apple sauce and wheaties help as well..LOL

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Kettlebells have re-energized my lifting workouts. Give them a try! [​IMG]

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

As a cop, I have an image to uphold.. When you decide to get into the lawenforcement field, you have a prerequisite to be able to eat 4 donuts while driving with your knees and answering a radio call without getting jelly on the radio mike or sugar on your uniforms.. It is hell showing up to a call with powdered sugar on your uniform and strawberry or banana filling looking like lipstick on your mouth.

:Doublefin:EvilGrin::schild24:

7. geezer

geezer Member

Well, I'll be 53 next month and I am ratcheting up my conditioning in a feeble and misguided attempt to compensate for the aging process. I know its dumb, but I got fed up with being fat, weak, and old before my time. Now that I've pretty well reached my age-adjusted goals I guess I'll have to work on getting smarter too. Now that's a tough one!

Regarding a favorite addition to my workout--I spent a few bucks on a resistance band (aka rubber tubing with handles). I loop it around a post, face away in my stance and grab both ends in one hand. Then I do my basic "cinco tiros" strikes slowly against the resistance of the bands. Three to four sets of 10 reps for each angle does the trick. I'd never paid any attention to resistance bands before, but Michael JB suggested using them. Thanks Mike.

8. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

Make sure that you're targeting the attributes that you're trying to develop, and cycle them accordingly. Strength is not just strength.

Thousands of repetitions won't make you stronger (directly), just up your muscular endurance and cause some hypertrophy(which CAN lead to strength gains, but doesn't cause them directly). Developing a higher max capacity won't make you explode harder, and neither will really develop your muscular endurance much. So target your workouts intelligently. Hitting the tires 10000 times won't cause an appreciable gain in strength over 2000 times in the same session(it may help with sport-specific technique, but that's different). Reduce those repetitions, and find a modality that allows you to increase or vary resistance while working the same gross motor movement, and all of a sudden you're in business.

So some good plyometric workouts for striking power(always to be used in conjunction WITH hitting the tires)

1- Medicine ball slam! it's cheap, it's simple, and you can do it anywhere! You can scale resistance with a heavier ball, and you'll work the antagonist muscle groups lifting it up!

2) throw a spear, or spear-like object. It's the muscle groups of that number one strike, and stresses the body entirely differently

3) Sledgehammer to tire. I think it speaks for itself. Cutting firewood is pretty much the same thing.

Routine is death. Doing the same set over and over and over again means your body gets too efficient at it, and it stops providing progress. Vary often, and always in ways that make your previous motions inefficient.

9. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Lets see. At my age I just go to class and try not to puke during training especially during our cardio. After class tonight I pounded one Pastele in the fridge and washed it down with some Budlite. Hope that helps. Hahahaha

10. geezer

geezer Member

So if you're a poor villager in the rural PI and you work hard with a bolo all day...basically you'll have precisely the kind of conditioning you need.

11. Beungood

Beungood New Member

I like functional training with bands,medicine balls and stabilitiy balls. I also like the routines a friend of mine has on his videos www.burnwithkearns.com He has alot of them on you tube to get an idea of his material.

12. Makata

Makata New Member

Bodyweight stuff, dumbbells, barbells, the usual--I've been playing with kettlebells lately...I'm really curious about Torqueblades, too! Anyone ever train with them?

Lester S.