What do you carry?

Discussion in 'Marksmanship Arts' started by chubbybutdangerous, Jan 4, 2010.

1. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

Salutations all!:wavey:

One thing I love about the FMA and the practicioners is the really strong belief that one has the right to defend oneself (with extreme prejudice) and the right to carry the tool(s) one might use to execute said right.

That being said, I thought it would be fun and educational to knowwhat everyone carries on a daily basis (firearms wise.. I know we all carry knives), why that is your choice , and what else you might consider a necessary accessory to go with it.

1. Personally I currently usually carry a Springfield XD45. Why? I love the 45acp, the XD points like a 1911, and I currently can't afford the 1911's I would really love to have.

2. I also always carry a good flashlight, (usually a surefire or streamlight). Why? So I can see in the dark. It can also be used for other purposes.

3. At least one folder, a fixed blade if circumstances etc. make it feasible. Why? This is FMA Talk so I won't bother explaining to why.

4. And a cell phone (even though my phone currently isn't working properly at the moment).

Okay, so what do you carry daily and why? Maybe we can all learn some new tips from this.

Thanks in advance for sharing/teaching.
    :bow:

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Good topic for a thread.

I am typically armed in some fashion or other when I leave the house as is my wife. At any given moment, I am carrying some variation of a CZ P-01 handgun, CZ SP-01 Tactical handgun, multiple Spyderco folders, a Monadndock baton where legal, and a cell phone. Obviously, I do not have all of that all the time, but more often than not it is at least two of those in some combination.

As for why I chose what I did, it comes down to what works for me. I have been shooting for a long time and have found that CZ pistols work very well for me. They are extremely accurate, reliable, conceal well (even full size double stack mags) and feel good in my hand. I like Spyderco knives though to be fair, I would prefer to see some changes in their grips in the future and the Monadnock batons seem better made and more robust than ASPs to me.

3. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

jwinch I am with ya mate on CZ..I carry a CZ 75 Compact...a nice weapon....also have the cold steel scimitar tucked nicely in my right pocket...when I carry multiple blades the other is the spyderco waved endura that I won on the FMA digest contest. In the trucks sits a nice, wonderful T-Ball aluminum bat...easy to explain..lol...if I need more fire power I can always go to the closet and bring out the gauge....Mossberg 590....God ain't saving ****..no miracles...but he did give us the abilities to fend for ourselves. Just takes some effort and some nuts to go and get what ya need.

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I carry a 9mm when on duty backed up by an asp and a couple of tactical folders.. When off duty, it is my 45, backed up by a couple of tactical folders with a randall 14 in my bug out bag.. I recently picked up a crkt hissatsu to play with while putting together a design for a ginunting folder.. I have been playing with this idea for a couple of months already, so it is still in the formulation phase..

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Heck, it we are going to start talking about whats in our closet or bug out bag, I might be here a while. LOL

6. k831

k831 New Member

EDC?

Edged weapon is typically one of 3;

1.) Emerson CQC 11 (folder)
    2.) Emerson PUK (fixed)
    3.) RAT-3 (fixed)

Both fixed blade knives are carried in kydex sheaths that I have drilled to carry just how I like!

Firearm is almost always a CZ P-01 (IWB appendix carry)

As to flashlights, I have a full size mag light in each vehicle and a surefire in the glove box. It goes on my person sometimes, but not regularly.

From time to time I rotate in a S&W 4043 in .40 cal and will occasionally carry a Karambit or push knife, but not too often.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I take a folder when I go out for a walk, but all I have on me most of the time is the little under 2" blade on my keychain!

8. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

:bow:eek:kay, so far 3 people who responded carry CZ's. That got me curious. Never had much exposure to them but recently got to hold one today thanks to K831. Always been a 1911 guy but dang if that CZ doesn't have a real good feel and natural point to it also. So I'm going to hold you CZ owners partially responsible if my ol' lady hits me with a rolling pin/baston for wanting to go shopping for a new gun!:bigun2:

9. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Chubby, don't worry mate..I went out Thursday and baught the FN .45 DA/SA tactical pistol..Hi-Cap...14 +1...it is a tack driving sumbitch..that's for sure.....I was lucky to dodge the skillet but got clipped with the rolling eye stare....lol...she then broke into Tagalog...I'm not sure what she said but I think it was "YOU GOT TO BE SHITTING ME. ANOTHER GUN"....lol..so we are riding that snoopy house together mate....lol

[​IMG]

10. k831

k831 New Member

Michael,

That's a nice piece! Buddy of mine just got an FNP-9 (maybe it was the FNX) and he is impressed so far.

I'm a big fan of DA/SA with a decocker... been curious about the FN's.

C.B.D, glad to have provided you a chance to check out the the CZ. I love 'em!

11. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I think you'll be happy with a CZ if you end up going that route. I have both the Sp-01 Tactical and the P-01. The P-01 is my CCW pistol and it works very well for that purpose. It has a thin alloy rather than steel frame so it conceals well and though it has some heft, it is not overly heavy especially compared to steel framed pistols. I am actually considering selling the SP-01 tactical since I don't use it all that often. I had a custom trigger job done by Angus at CZ custom so it is a dream to shoot. I just don't have that much need for a full sized 9mm. I may do some trading for a 97 BD but I haven't decided yet...

12. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

While I dig my CZ ( a fine affordable pistol)..I recently went and baught the

FNP-45 USG SS 45ACP 15+1 SFTY
    SAFETY | POLYMER | ACC RAIL

[​IMG]

absolutely the best pistol I have owned....15 + 1 of .45 screamers...YIKES is right....all in all, tax included I payed $800 and some change...came with three Hi Cap mags....safety lock, beveled case, manual etc...I have run well over 400 rounds through her and I have had 0 stoppages. And yes it fed WOLF like a dream...lol.....I am using the CORBON hollow points now with +P loads ( my home invasion rounds...)

A great gun

and guess what..they are out of Virginia...

13. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I have tried to make myself like the FNP series and just can't get on board. I shot the .45 acp right after they came out and thought it was OK but not what I was looking for. I haven't found a polymer .45 acp who's ergonomics I like yet and I have been looking hard. The M&P is as close as I have found but something just doesn't seem right with them to me.

I never carry a full size handgun anyways unless I am hiking or something and then I use a thigh/drop leg holster so polymer isn't that big of a deal at that point.

I do own an FNH shotgun that I really like...

14. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I hear ya...choosing what fits is a personal gig. I used to covet 1911's..but anymore I did away with mine. They were never the high end 1911's usually the standard fare...good, never great! I defintiely am not going to drop $2000 on a 1911...not yet anyhow ;)...I went through Springfiled XD's and found that to me they suck..had nothing but bad luck with them...I also loathe GLOCK....Im sure for some people it is good but I never got into them...I dig Sigs as well...H&K USP are also nice.....my next pistol will be in the back-up carry division....looking at a S&W Airlite 5 shot .38..guaranted to never jam...especially when u get it caught up in his guts, hence back-up.

15. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I have thought about a .38 for back up many times but haven't taken the plunge yet. Ruger has a half polymer revolver the LCR out that looks interesting. Probably kicks like a mule in .38 +p though...

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html

16. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I carry a kershaw index opening scallion. I also carry a 45 ACP 911 in colder weather and a NAA 380 in my pocket during warmer weather.

17. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Look at the Taurus Judge.. It is chambered for both 410 shot gun and 45 colt longs.. Now that is what you need for those late nights out on the interstate... Best of having a shotgun and a pistol available..

18. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

The Judge is a neat tool but you need to have some specific needs to fill in order to justify getting one in my view. It doesn't conceal well and for the size, I can carry something with much greater capacity. If I was hiking or keeping it next to me at night as a trucker I think it could have some value.

19. Killbot

Killbot Sereeus Biznus

Also, I think the Judge is illegal in some states as it is a shotgun , and considered a 'sawed-off' by some. I'm not sure what states, but I have seen a few people mention it on forums. So if you do load it with .410, be prepared for Johnny Law to take a look at it.

20. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Here is the S&W I'm eyeing....chambered in .357 (which means .38 works just as well)

[​IMG]