What besides Pekiti would you study?

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by TuhonBill, May 31, 2008.

1. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

Thats cuz here in the US, law suits take place over development of a kid. My kid is the only one I can train the way it was...and he loves it and goes in for more. The other kids are lazy and always quit. I am an adult teacher anyway...I freakin hate kids class. I do it to make the extra needed bucks.

Anyway, back on topic, I took TSD starting back in the late 60's and believe me it was hard core. There were no pads. That didn't start till the mid 70's. Karate people were hard core in the old days. To me the style does not have the efficient movements I look for in martial arts but they were hard core back then. I think that hard core'ness is what Karate is supposed to develop in an individual more than superior fighting skill.

2. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Well spoken and true Ron.

There must be a trust between student and teacher.Without this, it is just going through the motions.

3. TuhonBill

TuhonBill New Member

Western Fencing-wireless

Here's an interesting use of technology. Western fencing using wireless contacts for scoring. I would think it will help them get back a more combat oriented footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6mA14AsQ_w

Regards,
    Tuhon Bill McGrath

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, great idea! I too would think it would be less distracting and would be freeing footwork-wise.

5. KaliMike

KaliMike New Member

Hi Folks,
    I didn't see an Introductions thread here so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Mike Cicoria and I began studying with Tuhon Bill McGrath back in 1998. I know and/or have met and trained with a lot of people that I see on this board.

As far as other arts go I am currently studying Judo, Western Boxing and yoga. I mostly train PTI solo but I am always looking for other training partners in the area(Hudson Valley, NY).

Nice to meet everyone on the board.

Thank you,

Mike

6. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

i am also interested to study pikiti tirsia but to give my list
    1.)yawyan done
    2.)taekwondo Done
    3.) cacoy doce pares done
    4.) judo done
    5.)sikaran done
    6.)penchak silat sulu done
    7.) sanshou not yet
    8.) muaythai siam not yet
    9.)brazilian juijitso not yet
    10.) the art of ninjitsu-juijitso not yet
    11.)kung fu not yet
    12.) sambo not yet
    and lastly 13.) aido samurai
    I hope I can learn some of it I'am not absorbing all of it jsut taking what is helpful in my interest to make my skill more battle oriented and combat effective and in the propagation of FMA and preservation of filipino culture it would not make me less a filipino if i will not limit my self to study only filipino martial arts but also foreign martial arts.

Gumagalang
    el amldito de cebu

7. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

welcome mike!![​IMG]

8. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

:bow:Greetings to all! I was just in the neighborhood and decided to drop by. I don't currently train pekiti but have in the past. I'm more into an instructor than the art for reasons too many to list. That said, in response to Tuhon Bill's original post...

1) Pekiti Tirsia - I like the mentality of some of the practicioners/instructors I've met. Namely my little bro' Jack and Tuhon Bill.

2) Bahala Na - Met Master Mike Giron and liked what he was able to impart to me.

3) Tai Chi/Hsing-I/Bagua - Always loved the flow and movements. And when my teacher really whacks someone I know he uses some of the internal stuff he learned from these arts.

Again the instructor is more important than the style to me. But every art I mentioned has something I'd be able to make "my own", in other words they were something I felt would be very useful for someone like me. But then again that's also because of the specific instructor(s) mentioned.
    Also, the instructors character will have an effect on my decision. As for my current instructor Martin Torres and the others mentioned, all have demonstrated exemplary character.
    :armed:

Respectfully Submitted,
    Chubbybutdangerous

9. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

I think it would, although fundamentally the scoring system would have to be changed from the ground up for the weapon techniques to start to resemble actual blade use again.

10. geezer

geezer Member

There was a time when I would have argued that the system was the thing, and any competent instructor would do. Now, I'm totally with you on this, Chubbs. I left the martial arts for nearly two decades, in part because my instructor, in spite of being at the highest level, had been such a jerk. Now I'm back because I've met some really great people in two separate arts.

So, if I had the time, money and ability to take on another art, ideally I'd want something different from and complementary to what I'm studying now: Direct Torres Eskrima and NWTO Wing Tsun. A good, practical grappling art would fit the bill, but at 53, it might be a bit hard on the old joints. And for something completely different, I've played a bit with Rapier Fencing. But it's speed and the visual acuity required are a bit tough for me...

...but then there are so many cool things out there. Like you, I think the personality and character of the teacher would probably be the deciding factor. Based on reading this and from what I've heard through the grapevine, Tuhon Bill's Pekiti would fit the ticket too.

BTW I'd like to plagiarise this basic topic of this thread over in the "general" forum. It really is of general interest.

11. Pitboss 306

Pitboss 306 New Member

different styles?

I have western fencing background and competed a great deal in Sabre throughout school. A couple years of Yang style Taichi, then Kendo, after that before I stumbled into the FMAs. I agree that fencing (sabre particularily) does impart a great deal of base knowledge that can be used/transfered into the Filipino arts (mostly in footowrk, reaction speed, and distancing), though anything resembling a serious combative cleave in Sabre fencing would be red carded for excessive force. Very light single broken strikes are the standard, as opposed to fluid striking or redoubling.

I believe if i could crosstrain seriously, it would be in full-bore reality based sparring in any style.

The usual? A dead limb hanging in the air waiting to be manipulated? A punch with no recoil? A stick swing that stops in mid air waiting to be disarmed? A pre-programmed set or single abdominal knife thrust that stops dead and waits? Grappling with no active resistance on a serious level?

I find, more often than not, that the co-operative element in training is the true enemy to my progress as a martial artist. I have learned more about "functional" martial arts by freestyle rolling on the mat until tap, sparring, or in the parking lot of a bar at 2:30 am than i have doing years of form, or the many cooperative lockflow drills that fail under pressure.

I think that is the relevance of commercial MMA training for reality based players.

If I crosstrained regularily, I really think as long as realistic force and resistance is incorporated, it wouldn't matter the style.

12. Heston

Heston New Member

Hello,

I have not actually started studying Filipino arts yet, but I've been a long time lurker and have been looking at all the arts I want to do along with PTK. These systems have been praised a lot on the internet for what they teach.

1) DeCampo 123 for 1 stick and speed
    2) Kalideleon for 2 sticks
    3) LESKAS for power
    4) Sayoc for knife
    5) Atienza for fighting many attackers
    6) YawYan for empty hands
    7) Boltong for grappling

13. KAHLBURO

KAHLBURO New Member

So many to learn to little time

Good day bro.
    i call u a bro bec, just like me u are also a ffa (fil. fighting art) enthusiast.
    i'd suggest that u try Bahad Zubu of gm yuli romo.
    with all the list that you received of all the fma that you should learn it would seem that you will need all the time in the world. try the old man (he is old but he doesnt move like one) he will answer all your questions regarding all this arts.
    mabuhay ka

14. KAHLBURO

KAHLBURO New Member

Rediscover amongst ourselves

Good day to all
    Maybe compared to all of you guys i'm just like a seed that is still in the process of growing.
    I started practicing bahad zubu last april 2007 all i can say is that i dont need to practice another art bec. BZ is an evolving art/meaning it has no end like the water that is flowing. its not a martial art but a fighting art.There is no advance training or technique but it all goes down to the basic.backhand and forehand, night and day it may all sound like the zen stuff but i believe its the truth. hopefully i can reach that level where im just laughing and just doing the movement , i say movement bec. its all movement he doesn't want to call it a technique bec when you call it that he says its not natural and when its not natural its not reactive and when its not reactive its memorizing and when you memorize ?
    ...what happens? all im saying is keep an open mind, pride is a no no in BZ try it i will open your mind.Mabuhay kayong lahat

15. Hey Kahlburo,

How's the weather in Wyoming?

Adie and "Fabulous" are coming round anytime now to practice today. Maestro is in Camotes with Steven Sym until the 15th so no Sundays for a while :(

How you found any trianing partners over there and how's the job?

Ingat Palagi Pare,

Simon

16. KAHLBURO

KAHLBURO New Member

Adjusted

how are you doin bro,i can say that i have adjusted to the weather out here,but still hadn't found any practice partners tho,how is your training isaw the latest video of steven and gm yuli,looks good

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008