What besides Pekiti would you study?

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by TuhonBill, May 31, 2008.

1. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Why is it that nobody lists any FMA-Styles when even GT Gaje sent some of his senior students to other FMA-Masters to learn from them?

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I'll bite. This is what I'm currently studying in addition to Pekiti Tirsia:

San Miguel Eskrima
    Estacada-Weapons (strong affinity with both Pekiti Tirsia and SME due to my teacher being a close friend of Tom Bisio, but definitely a stand-alone art due to its connection with Estacada).

I'm no longer very active in Estacada-Kajukenbo, but there some FMA-type limb destructions and take downs in this art as well.

Best,

Steve

3. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

My answer is similar to Steve's in that I came to Pekiti Tirsia Kali after studying four other Filipino Martial Arts and with about seven years of Pentjak Silat and Kuntao - which I have continued studying to this day.

I have been fortunate to have been able to study and/or see many great Filipino systems. My list has the Chinese Internal arts on it because for me, Pekiti Tirsia was what I was looking for in regards to the Filipino Martial Arts.

-wes tasker

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I think Wes said it best, most of us are currently studying FMA the style or styles we're interested in and would be looking for arts that would copliment what we are doing. I'm a Senkotiros practitioner, and train with some JKD/Kali/Silat people. I'm also looking into doing some BJJ training as well. Kettlebell training is also something on my list to do. Even though I'm only 30, as otheres have said it seems like it'll cause less wear and tear on my body as more traditional weight lifting methods.

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

My main system is Lightning,but I am fortunate in that a good friend of mine that teaches Silat Lincah lives fairly close,so I am making an effort to learn this system.
    In Lightning we spend so much time using the stick that sometimes it is nice to do the Silat.

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I came from Pekititersia and after years and years in the system I made the move into what I found worked better for me, Bahad Zu'Bu KA'LI Ilustrisimo. I also had stops along the way in Various Indo/Malay Silats and Ving Tsun Kuntao.

My lists of things to study is quite simple;

Baji
    Kumongo Silat
    Nova Scrimia fencing....

For fitness I am beginning the club bell work with Scott Sonnens Into Flow..

And life..studying life and all that it offers in all forms to me is the best teacher..and at times a hard, hard task master.

www.bahadzubuwest.org
    www.yuli-romo.com

7. puntadas

puntadas New Member

ego masters

and then I want, because this didn't quite work for me...

"a poor workman, blames his tools"

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  8. puntadas

puntadas New Member

ballet

you guys should try ballet - it'll really put you in touch,
    with your hip region ~ the other half certainly doesn't work.

9. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Puntadas (Joffe)--

I'll bite. I'll take your comments as the poke I believe they were intednded to be.

I don't recall anyone quite saying that their Pekiti-Tirsia did not work. Do you study Wing Chun because your Muay Thai was not functional? It always comes down to the practitioner to make the system work...and hopefully the system is well-structured and designed to begin with. Don't be bitter or sarcastic Mr. Joffe...just practice more.

The idea of looking at and perhaps even studying another martial art is not a martial heresy...not anymore in this age at least. In this age, we may not have to combat another system to analyze and foil it...we can simply walk into a school and take a class to learn about it. And learning about it makes one more educated...whether it is to improve one's one existing body dynamic in an altercation...or perhaps to learn about how other cultures do things. Myopia seems unfitting for you, being a college professor. I'm surprised, given the the time and experience you seem to have on your resume.

By the way, I believe GT Conrado and his brothers looked at and fought other arts/fighters in order to come up with our system, no? Was it because they were 'deficient'...or simply intelligent and brave? I opt for the latter.

There is plenty of room on the planet for all sorts of people who choose to do all sorts of different things...even ballet. Or water buffalo wrestling.

Best,

Jack A. Latorre

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  10. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Dear Stephen,

I find it interesting that of all the individuals who took the time to answer the question (what would you study in addition to Pekiti Tirsia, if time and money were not an issue), you're the only individual so far who's decided to take pot-shots instead of providing an honest and amicable answer.

This despite the fact that there are about a half-dozen martial arts that you've studied listed on your resume. Have you decided that all of these arts "didn't work for me" and are thus worthless for anyone else now that you've found Pekiti Tirsia? Do you still study Muay Thai and Wing Tsung?

For what its worth: ballet, although great for opening up the hips and developing core body strength, is probably not a great ancillary art to Pekiti Tirsia for the simple reason that ballet's focus on maintaining the formal aesthetic and postural lines in the body is antithetical to the kind of relaxed torsional body-dynamics that you find in Pekiti Tirsia. I would think that yoga is probably a better fit.

But you see, that's the kind of debatable point that one could address in a martial arts forum - if one were willing to engage the other half of one's being. Perhaps you could use less hip movement when next you decide to post on the forum and more mental flexibility.

Best,

Steve

11. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I think that people are forgetting about another point here. Namely, even if you like some style/system it might happen (as it happened to me couple times) that the instructor's personality or the school atmosphere just doesn't fit you well, in spite of all the effort you out in... And I really do not believe in doing something that doesn't make you feel good for doing it.

12. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Sure - I think that a lot of people on the forum have experienced the same. The opposite is the same: once you've found something that you like you should learn to appreciate it fully.

I think that the part of Tuhon Bill's question that says "if time and money were not an issue" is important here. For example, I listed my preference for learning western fencing. My idea is to spend a couple years on foil and then move on to sabre. I have a friend who has studied both Pekiti Tirsia and San Miguel Eskrima (he likes both) but who came to Filipino martial arts after competing in collegiate sabre tournaments for several years before moving on to coaching. His take was that practicing fencing on this level gives you invaluable skills with respect to distancing and timing (and I would have to agree given that his FMA skill-level was superb even from the very beginning of his training). To the argument that sports-fencing will teach you bad habits (right-of-way, e.g.) that "will get you killed in a real fight," his reply was that, on a national and international level the skill level, of these athletes is so high that it doesn't matter: they can quickly learn the "work arounds" and adapt to more realistic situations if they desire. Learning the rules does not mean that you can't break the rules.

BUT: where am I going to find a fencing instructor that I can afford and when am I going to find the time given that I'm already practicing martial arts, working, and taking care of a family? ANSWER: probably not for a few years; in the meantime, I'm happy with what I'm doing now - and God knows everything that I do can be improved...

Best,

Steve

13. puntadas

puntadas New Member

fat guys sparring

Oops!

Very difficult this cyber business - sorry guys,
    I just thought Tuhon Bill's thread was rather childish...
    if you had time & money - seems to be courting fantasy & for accomplished practitioners, it seems these internet forums are a great place to misguide students ~

Steve: as a practitioner of Chinese Medicine,
    surely you understand the 'depth' of Wisdom we're trying to guide people toward? & the idea of possessing money & time is totally counterposed
    to this. We're not involved in horizontal thinking.

Jack: not bitter or sarcastic (just grumpy)... I practice 24/7/365 Bro! thanks for the inspiration tho' ~ Again, I find these forums remarkably Myopic, my path in the Martial Arts has involved many 'training methods': Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Pekiti & much more.

Yes! people should reflect on many things... basic intelligence, statement of the obvious.

ps: The Ballet was... how would you put it a Yin style lure, I've followed Ballet since Nureyev - Love it! Aesthetics & Intelligence - gotta make sure we don't end up playing Cowboys & Indians eh! Lads.

14. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Stephen,

I am willing to start over. If you were grumpy then, perhaps you are less grumpy now - and I am willing to be less grumpy as well (see my "reasons for editing" subscripts).

I surely do understand "the depth of Wisdom we're trying to guide people towards." Let me respond in a manner more Confucian than Taoist: Given the emphasis in Chinese thought towards the importance of family that includes the practical acknowledgement that in order to care for my family I should (a) not spend money on things that I cannot afford, and (b) use my time as wisely as possible. Chinese medicine is all about balance and certainly the decision to aportion one's practice of martial arts in manner appropriate to one's responsibility to family is an important factor to consider. To do otherwise is to not live a virtuous life. I must also acknowledge that I live in a 21st century Western economic milieu: I must accept fees for my services in order to fulfill my familial responsibilities - don't you have to as well?

Yes, there are time and money constraints on my practice of martial arts, but an acknowledgement of these is an example of holistic, not horizontal, thinking. That is why the martial arts that I do study are complementary to each other. By practicing one I am practicing aspects of another, and spending less time and money than I would be if I were chasing the latest "next best thing."

To return to the theme of this thread: Western fencing is a logical extension of what I do now - but it is not essential and can be appropriately tabled as something that I can do in the future. I don't consider this a fantasy but rather a practical application of acheiving balance in my life.

Best,

Steve

15. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

Now whats the other half of the hop region?[​IMG]

16. Ron Kosakowski

By the way, I meant to spell hip, "h.i.p.

Its been said before that my spelling is horrible!

17. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

GAGILLOMO:

I think that people are forgetting about another point here. Namely, even if you like some style/system it might happen (as it happened to me couple times) that the instructor's personality or the school atmosphere just doesn't fit you well, in spite of all the effort you out in... And I really do not believe in doing something that doesn't make you feel good for doing it.

>> I agree totally. I once studied 7star praying mantis Kung Fu. It was a system I really wanted to understand and learn. But after a few months of getting into it, I found I did not care for how the class was ran and or for the sifu. It was already over an hour half drive one way to class, then it seemed the class was just not what i liked. So i stopped. I've never seen another 7SPM kung fu school around since.

Oh well...such is Indiana...LOL...

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Oh yeah, I've been there. It isn't necessarily anyone's fault...sometimes you just have a mismatch.

19. Ron Kosakowski

I think we all did that. I trained in Tang Soo Do before I met my Kuntao teacher. I thought it was great and I felt powerful till my Kuntao teacher put me on my butt rather easily. Nothing against Tang Soo Do, its good for what it is for and thats point sparring. It was the only thing avaliable at the time. Martial arts of all kinds of styles are all over the place these days. People can now pick and choose what is best for them. Or two or three styles that is best for them if they want to and have the time and money.

20. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Ron I agree my friend, there is a plethora of arts once can choose from. I studied Tang Soo Do when I was stationed in Korea (many moons ago) and what I saw over there compared to what is here is like comparing Mars to Mexico...didn't even look the same. Over there it was hard corp banging, weapons you name it, they had it...but then again the teacher was an ROK Marine. It comes down to simple things like intent..the teacher in Korea was a Marine and a tough little sob..he made his Tang Soo Do look like a hurricane in a hen house. I got back state side and pursued it and it looked like bad ballet with cushy foam mittens...hmmm go figure..LOL