What are you reading for entertainment?

Discussion in 'The Den' started by Brock, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've been catching up on The Dresden Files books. On Dead Beat right now. Sci-Fi did a half-way decient TV series (for one season) based on the books, but they took a lot of liberties, and none of the characters really looked or acted like they're described in the book. The books along with being good fantasy/mysteries are friggin hilarous as well. I've never laughed out loud so many times while reading a book. Maybe it's cuz I can relate to the main character....

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've been reading In War and Peace: My Life in Science and Technology, the autobiography of a distant cousin of mine, Guy Stever.

3. pguinto

pguinto New Member

I was raised with video consoles games (started with the Pong console, anyone remember that?), after college i graduated to pc gaming. So lately i spend my time fragging peeps online in first person shooters; currently it's Call of Duty 4; prior CoD2, CoD:UO, Medal of Honor: Spearhead,Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Unreal Tournament.

I used to be a huge reader of sci-fi/fantasy books. It all began as a child when i loved reading all sorts of mythology; ie Greek, Roman, Norse, etc. This eventually graduated to Fantasy titles and comic books. Although i dont read comic books anymore, i had quite a collection; which included mostly Marvel XMen-related titles. Alas a good number of my most prized comic books were stolen by a (former) friend including a MacFarlane signed Platinum Spidey #1, the Death of Superman books, among other stuff. Lately i havent been able to finish any books; ive become more of an audio-video-phile. I'll probly pick up reading books again when Kindle-like devices become better.

Anyway here's some highly recommended reads:
    Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series - if you like chicks in leather & high heels that can kick your ass, you'll love the 2nd book in the series.
    Terry Brooks' Shannara books - the early books were high fantasy, the latter books are still high fantasy but integrate technology from a post apocalypse earth
    David Farland's The Runelord novels - what if you could harness other people's abilities/attributes to enhance your own abilities and attributes; ie greater sight or greater strength? What happens when you collect too much? And what happens to the donors? More important, what happens to you when the donor dies?
    Chris Bunch's The Seer King Trilogy - described as a fantasy Napoleonic War
    Tolkien's LoTR & The Hobbit - what can i say
    Hickman & Weis's Dragonlance books - most of the books are great; the best ones are by Hickman and Weis
    Chris Claremont & George Lucas's Chronicles of the Shadow War (Anyone remember the movie Willow with Val Kilmer? Well, this is the continuing saga from that universe.)
    George RR Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series - simply awesome, it has it all; war, politics, coups, betrayl, patricide, a looming invasion from dark creatures, and even incest,
    David Drake's Lord of the Isles saga - good to have friends with magical powers
    Dennis L McKiernan's Mithgar books - despite some criticism, it is not LoTR redone
    Stephen R Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever & The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I have yet to read the third series - The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. - An angry impotent leper gets transported to an alternate universe only to find himself hale and with enormous magical powers, but is he a Hero or Anti-hero, you decide.
    Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series - Wouldnt it be cool to have a Dungeon Master who is a powerful wizard that transports you to an alternate universe as your D&D persona? Well what if he did it without your consent, how do you get back home? What if when you die, you die for real? Still sound fun? Although Rosenberg periodically changes focus on his main characters, it is quite enjoyable. Im still waiting for the epic Arta Myrdhyn vs Wizard Grandmaster Lucius confict; ie there's a reason AM recruited these unknowing college kids and transported them to this other alternative universe as their D&D personas in the 1st place.
    Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series; The Book of Jhereg is a slightly-amended omnibus collection of the 1st three books: Jhereg, Yendi, and Teckla. If you like swashbuckling, theivery, and political intrigue, this is for you.
    Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series - i think it was written for a younger audience, but i dont think today's youth will connect with the songs the main character sings.
    CS Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia
    Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea novels
    Larry Niven's The Magic Goes Away series - allegory for the earth and its diminishing resources
    Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain (recommended for younger readers) - a great coming of age series
    Stephen King's The Eyes of the Dragon. I heard high praise for The Dark Tower series, but not really my thing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I currently read the Marine corps martial arts program manual along with the US Army Rangers CQB manual for comical relief.. It is the next best thing to read since Mad Magazine went on tv..

5. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

I've read a few of your choices and will definitely check out some of the other ones. Two series that you don't mention that I highly recommend are Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.

6. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Wheel of Time? Never heard of it... :D

I've also read the Sword of Truth series, LOTR, Shannara series, and many Dragonlance books. If you can get your hands on the Dark Sun novels that were based on the TSR D&D module of the same name I reccomend those also. WotC didn't continue publishing them when they bought out TSR, so it may be difficult to find them.

My mom read me the Narnia books when I was 4 or 5 so they hold a special place in my heart. (She started reading them to my kids too, but was killed in a car accident before she finished, the Wed before The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe movie was released incedently)

I can't really get into the Earthsea stuff for some reason. Same with David Drake's stuff.

7. pguinto

pguinto New Member

I think everybody's reading the Sword of Truth and Shannara books. However i think not everyone knows that George RR Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series is actually high fantasy; as most of his previous works are sci-fi based. The first book, A Game of Thrones, is completely enthralling and furthermore the whole series keeps getting better. David Farland's 1st Runelord series was damn good; have yet to pick up the 2nd series. Chris Bunch's Seer King trilogy is a must read as well but unlike the others, which are ongoing, all you get is just the one trilogy. Finally, if you are an LoTR fan, the McKiernan Mithgar books are quite excellent - all of them.

8. Brock

Brock Asha'man

A Song of Fire and Ice is sitting in my "To be read" box. I've 2 or 3 other books on top of it though cuz they finish other series that I'm reading, so before I read that and perhaps agree that it's as good as everyone says, I need to finish the others.

9. I'm actually half way the first one of that but it's slow going so I'm on an "Inbetweener" about aliens subtly invading the earth. I'm finding that much too similar to "Tommyknockers" though :(

My favourite SK book is "The Stand".

10. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I am currently reading;

SEA of FAITH..Christianity and Islam in the Medieval Mediterranean World

by Stephen O'Shea

It is a factual history piece based on the Islamic and Christian Doctrine and how they worked together, against each other and the ensuing battles that waged. The sacking of Al'Andalus by both the piracy on the high seas, the downright contemptuous politics veiled in religion on both sides and used to umass mercenary armies to do the dirty work. A light summer read..LOL

11. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

I just requested A Game of Thrones from my local library, sounds interesting. Thanks for the recomendation.

12. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Has anyone read Tuhon Bill McGrath's fantasy books?

13. rshawtx

rshawtx New Member

I am currently working on David Gemmell's Lord of the Silver Bow.

I've also read the first few chapters of Tuhon McGrath's book but my attention deficit disorder got the better of me when I got the David Gemmell books for my birthday. :)

14. travtex

travtex New Member

Sheesh, I'm a nerd.

I'm currently back on a Carl Sagan kick: I re-read Contact recently, which inspired me to go back into his nonfiction stuff. Currently, I'm splitting time with Broca's Brain and Pale Blue Dot.

My current bathroom library is stocked with Dawkins' Devil's Chaplain and a Neil Gaiman book that I haven't looked at recently enough to remember which one it is.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've mostly been reading comic books (at my son's behest)!

16. blindside

blindside student

I'm rereading "Gates of Fire" by Pressfield. I had forgotten how truly excellent a read it was, and how the mental image differs so much from 300. As befitting a comic book Frank Miller made the characters super-human, Pressfield made the historical figures truly human.

Also, The Federalist Papers, reprinted from letters from Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay.

Slowly working my way through Elizabeth Moon's Serrano books, sort of a hold over until Weber comes out with something new.

Lamont