Western Stick Fighting...

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by Brock, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Brock

Brock Asha'man

No, not Arnis John Wayne style... La Canne, La Scherma di Bastone, Irish Shillelagh..... We kinda' starting to discuss this in another thread, but does anyone have any practical experience in any of these arts or another that I may not be aware of? What (if any) similarities do they share with FMA?

2. Christian

Christian New Member

I have learned an Italian system. A short club, called Manganello, is used there. It has only a few techniques straight to the point - it works :)

I a way it is similar to FMA otherwise it is not. It´s hard to tell - one has to feel the difference. One of the similarities is that the whole body is used as a weapon, slaps, kicks, shoulder thrusts...

Regards
    Christian

3. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Is there gappeling involved? I've read that some systems have a big Greco-Roman Wrestling influence in the Italian martial systems.

4. Christian

Christian New Member

I wouldn´t call it grapplng - just two takedowns.

Regards
    Christian

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I'd have thought there would have been more.

6. Christian

Christian New Member

No, sorry, not that I know but there is definitely more than that little bit that I have seen. This one system that I know is more about hitting and thrusting. The "grappling" moves in it are only to takedowns.

Regards
    Christian

7. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

greco-roman wrestling is actually french. it was called 'greco-roman' at the first modern olympic games in order to make it fit the theme. greco-roman wrestling is not at all like greek or roman wrestling.

tim

8. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I guess Pankration would be more what I was thinking as Greek and Roman wrestling? I know the original Olympic wrestling involved striking.

9. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I have trained in French arts of la canne and baton, the former dealing with a short stick, and the latter with a staff. La canne is actually quite different to FMA as it only has six striking techniques, each with a separate name and aiming at specific targets, more or less. However, in my view, the most significant difference lies in the manner of execution. In la canne, every strike needs to be "armed" as they say, i.e. taken through a full swing before striking, which I guess would be considered way too telegraphic in FMA. Another considerable difference is that in modern la canne there is no "slash through" strikes, but only the ones that stay on the surface of the of the target. Also, the practitioner is encouraged to switch his hands during the match, and there are even some combos developed for this kind of stick use.
    The two cane section (yes they have it) is different for its use of sticks, which is, again in my view, more independent that in FMA, where I'd say the emphasis is on coordinated work.
    Anyway, I really like some of the training methods used in the French arts, and found them greatly complementary and applicable in FMA.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I hadn't known that!

That I had seen, on Deadly Arts.

I like the foot-fighting of savate that I've seen via JKD and would enjoy experiencing some of its stickwork!

11. Brock

Brock Asha'man

In the two cane version do they employ a short and long cane as in Rapier and Main Gauche?

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, espada y daga! I thought it was two cannes of equal length.

13. Brock

Brock Asha'man

It may very well be. That's the question that I'm asking. If it's equal length canes or not.

14. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Yep, equal length! No such thing as EyD, for the simple reason that, even though somewhere along the evolutional line there is certain sabre fencing influence, la canne is still primarily STICK method, and as such never had the goal to stand in for the bladework.

Speaking of epee et dague, I was fortunate enough to be introduced to a particular french fencing master who agreed to provide instruction in the area I wanted (saber and sword and dagger) without necessarily potting me through the foil stuff. Anyway, I might say that some of his epee y dague instruction has clarified a lot of dark aras in this field (even though it is still just a glimpse).

15. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've a video on fencing with sword and dagger, sword and buckler, and sword and cloak. Interesting stuff.

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sounds cool! I have heard people say before that Western fencing has illuminated their FMA.