Welcome to the Lightning Scientific Arnis Forum!

Discussion in 'Lightning Scientific Arnis' started by arnisador, Jun 1, 2007.

1. citom

citom New Member

Hello to all!
    Are there any LSAI / LESKAS instructors in Devon, specifically, Plymouth?

Thanks!

Cito

2. Shaun

Shaun New Member

L.S.A.I. in Devon

There is no L.S.A.I. or LESKAS in Devon.The closest Lightning Scientific Arnis to you is Cambridge.

3. citom

citom New Member

Thank you very much. I learned a bit of the system some years back in Manila. I also did a bit of training with Bot Jocano and Mang Fil Buena. I'm really impressed with the system and would like to take it up again. Cheers!

Cito

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've temporarily moved a thread from this forum while we investigate an issue that has been raised about it. We'll return it as soon as possible.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

U.P.Diliman

Hi Cito,
    Yes.I know Master Bobot well.I saw him recently in Manila.We did some training at U.P.Diliman.It is always good to back to Manila.
    You must have also trained at U.P.Diliman?
    Talk to you soon.

6. citom

citom New Member

I ran into Prof Bot just a few weeks before I left the Philippines last March 2006. I used to be a faculty member at the UP Manila (College of Medicine) before coming to the UK. While Bot teaches Anthropology at UP Diliman (as you probably know).
    Hopefully, I can train with you soon. Cheers!

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thread restored.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

8. chamber

chamber New Member

Mang Ben's Pic

It's great to see that Mang Ben's pic is up in this section!

:coolyello

9. Christian

Christian New Member

Hello,

This is an interview that Shaun gave me about Lightning a couple of month ago. Although it is a German website (mine :)) the interview is held in English. Thanks again for the interview, Shaun.

Maybe this helps to find some more new questions and/or start an discussion.

Regards

Christian

10. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Thank you all so much for being so patient with us! :bow: I do apologize, we had a couple of technical problems but I think the issues are all fixed now. Please let me know if you'd like to see anything else, including a more enhanced description to the forum. :)

- Carol Kaur
    - FMAT Admin

11. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Thanks Carol.

12. Anji

Anji New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark and I've trained in Lightning Scientific Arnis with Master Romeo I. Valenzuela this summer 2007. I'm still a beginer but I'll try my best to promote the art of Grandmaster Benjamin Luna Lema here in Switzerland. I only "teach" the basic metodos, basic bigay tama and basics disarms. I'm not an instructor in LSA (and LSMAPC) but I'm only a passionate of this incredible art. My actual gym proposed me to add the LSA "as an optional complement" to their actual programm (Inosanto System) wich is the main system that they teach. It's means that they don't use the art to make money on it. Here is the website where you can find some videos : www.aka-ge.ch . There's also a short presentation of the LSA but I'm not sure if it's completely correct. Please feel free to give your comment so I can modify the text.

Best regards all and I hope to meet you.

Anji aka Mark ^_^ .V..

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks for sharing this with us!

14. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hi Anji welcome.
    You are lucky to be training with Master Romy Valenzuela.He is an excellent Arnisador and teacher.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We could still use a more detailed description than:
    ''This system was founded by Grandmaster Ben L. Lema.''

16. khd29

khd29 New Member

Kruzada's website said GM was undefeated in competition and combat throughout his life. Won the GM division in NARAPHIL but don't remember which year... 1979?

17. Banakun

Banakun New Member

Actually, Mang Ben WAS undefeated in the sense that he never lost a single fight in his life. Tournaments though are another thing... you see he was disqualified in the 1979 Master's Tournament after his bout with another Great Legend, GM Timor Maranga (which he won). GM Maranga was sent to the hospital and Mang Ben was barred from continuing on to the next round of fights for reasons which until now remain unclear. Some say it was political, some say he porposely gave way to a close friend who was competing saying "He had nothing else to prove having defeated the "man to beat" in the tournament"... whatever the answer, we may never know. So Mang Ben didn't win the tournament, but he didn't lose a bout either... GM Cacoy went on to win the tournament.

18. khd29

khd29 New Member

Banakun, that is very interesting. I tried looking for the results of that tournament but failed. Could you provide the link?

19. Banakun

Banakun New Member

Unfortunately, I cannot think of links which can verify this. The established facts are:

1. That there was a Master's Tournament held in Manila in 1979
    2. That among the participants were Mang Ben, GM Maranga, GM Cacoy, GM Mena(?), GM Navales(?), GM Pecate, GM Cabahug(?).
    3. That the overall winner of the tournament was GM Cacoy.
    4. GM Tatang Ilustrisimo would not participate unless it was with swords and to the death.

This can be verified through books which have been written (one is Mark Wiley's book on Filipino Martial Culture).

The Mang Ben-GM Maranga bout was passed on by eyewitness accounts, mostly old-timers. I remember Maestro Elmer sharing this with me, as well as Mang Ben himself (blow-by-blow account). There is Mang Vic Sanchez as well. Many would say that was the best bout in that they both gave no quarters. Apparently, GM Maranga WAS the man to beat in that tournament. This was verified by GM Cabahug (whom my cousin met in Ozamis City) who noted that among the participants there, GM Maranga was the most intimidating indeed. This was actually the first time Maestro Elmer saw Mang Ben and it was this bout which convinced him to seek instruction from Mang Ben. That was sthe context of his "sharing."

That is the reason why there are many versions as to why Mang Ben was not allowed to/did not continue to the next bout... since most of the eyewitnesses were spectators and not directly connected with the organizing committee of the tournament. There are many "stories" of "politics" regarding that tournament as well. Master Porferio Lanada says he was not allowed to join because "He was too fast, too strong and too skillful" for everybody there (Filipino Martial Culture/Mark Wiley). But there's nobody to confirm this. The truth is anybody's guess right now.

But the Mang Ben-GM Maranga bout and its outcome can be verified, if not by records, by eyewitnesses who were there during the tournament. I'm sure there is video footage of that lurking somewhere. That would be the "Holy Grail" for all escrimadors- actual footage of Legendary Grandmasters battling it out!

I hope this helps!

20. khd29

khd29 New Member

Thanks for sharing! During my search, I came across your screen name in another forum telling the same story. It was a very interesting discussion, I must say. Was this the same tournament Tom Bisio (?) of PTK won 'grand champion'? I wish Tuhon Gaje entered this tournament too.

All the legends in one tournament! I wish I was there, but I would have only been 6 yrs. old.