Walking Tall

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by Darrin Cook, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Darrin Cook

Darrin Cook New Member

You may not have considered Sheriff Bufford Pusser as a martial artist. Maybe is that because he isn't Asian, doesn't wear a gi, and his weapon isn't a pair of nunchakus or a sword, but a big hickory stick?

I've just posted an article about Pusser on my blog, which can be found here.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has more photos or info on Pusser.

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Darrin, nice write up my friend. I agree 100%...Pusser was a big old fella with a background in wrestling...I believe he was a proffesional wrestler for quite sometime before becoming a policeman. Back in those days pro- wrestling wasn't the steroid layden BS it is today...they were some big old boys getting down in the squared circle.

That big old club is a persuader to the tenth degree. My daddy calls it a piss alan club. It's hard to beat a good old piece of hickory, maple or oak when it is swung mach 3 at your nugget, with intent. I teach my lads big stick as well..walking stick and axe handle....both extremely viable.

Being backed up by a .357 and a 16 isn't to bad either.....

Good Blog

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Nice article!

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Back when I was an impressionable teenager in the early '70's my dad took me to see "Walking Tall" with Joe Don Baker. Definitely an eye opener and ranks right up there with another icon of the era: "Deliverance." (Read James Dickey's book, too - it's excellent; so too is "To the White Sea".)

My mom was probably thinking (about my dad), "What were you thinking?" but it's funny how some things just end up being part of the Zeitgeist, and how things seen when you're 13 end up effecting you later...

Best,

Steve

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Steve I rememebr seeing this with my dad on a double bill at the drive in. My mom wasn't to pleased as well. I don't know how many broom sticks I ruined after the fact..lol..man oh man the drive in was cool. It's a shame we lost that piece of Americana......

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Ah the drive in! It really is to bad we lost that piece of Americana as it was simply really cool!