Walking Cane.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Marvin Diem

Marvin Diem New Member

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

The little that I have shared with individuals that rely on walking canes are:

-Double supported grips for bayonet methods (thrusts)
    -Checks/push-offs with center of cane
    -Rowing strokes using both ends.

Additionally, I encouraged them to transfer grip to bottom in order to strike with the curved end for more weighted impact.

The obvious reason for using the cane is lack of balance and weakness due to injuries or age. Therefore, I relied on a few things like teaching range to maximize effectiveness of strikes and built up their repetitions.

Quite often these individuals already had a great deal of tenacity so it took little encouragement.

John J

3. Far Walkers Moon

Far Walkers Moon New Member

Why do I see so many posts about a cane with a curved handle, dosen't anyone use a "T" grip or an "L" grip on canes any more.

4. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

I do in fact almost none of my canes have a curved handle

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

A lot of what has been described as techniques and strategies can be applied to curved/hook, "T" or "L" grips. Why not share your experience with such grips?

John J

6. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

I have never liked the curved type of handle after haveing my hand slip off one in bad weather. Ok maybe I wasn't holding on tight enough but its a real bummer when you go to place your hand on it and bear weight and your hand just slides around that curve and you fall on your face. I have never had that happen with a "T" or "L" top/grip

7. Marvin Diem

Marvin Diem New Member

Hi all. I have been playing a little bit with my cane, using it in a two handed fashion as an uppercut enhancer, one hand near the crook and the other hand a little farther than halfway down the length of the cane and following that up with bayonet type thrusts. I think that these two moves would work well for someone who may have balance problems, because the arms don’t move to far out from the body.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I mentioned this story in another post regarding makeshift weapons and planes from a former Dulles screener (registration may be required):

'Security' Without Sense

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hidden in Cane

It looks like the contents of this URL change weekly. The story was on the front page of the 16 March 2006 Rio Grande Sun, a weekly NM paper:

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Seen on MT.

Man, 82, smacks attacker with cane

11. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

During one of the Kali Sundays at the apartment, I pulled out my cane incidentally when I was really searching for a regular rattan stick to swing with at either of my partner Caleb, and since I never really practiced with my cane much, I thought I'd see what comes up as a response to certain angles of attacks that Caleb feeds me. All clips finished in this mix were all first takes[un-rehearsed]. These videos will just push me to remember more of what I can pull for the next ones.... (more)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHQVVvqC9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPAqMasrCTw

12. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Cane

Looks like fun. Chris Petrilli's DVD series ("Crashing the Lines," "Cutting the Lines," and "Pangamot") has a lot of similar stuff for using the stick as a grappling tool.

I find that since my oak cane is longer and heavier than any of my rattan sticks I generally use it in two ways:

1. At largo range one handed
    2. At corto range two-handed (hitting and raking with both ends)

Anyway, thanks for sharing the clips.

Best,

Steve Lamade

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Last year when I took Eskrido from a colleague of Chris Petrilli's we did a fair amount of cane work. For Eskrido, it's a natural!