VMA Balintawak clip

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by VMA Man, Jan 22, 2008.

1. MacJ_007

MacJ_007 Junior Member

Bold words indeed. Even though it is your personal opinion, I felt that my Master has been disrespected. Now I'm curious if what you and your students said was true.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

There's certainly no hope of settling an issue such as this on a forum. People would need to cross sticks in a (friendly!) meeting.

3. DennisAy

DennisAy New Member

scott, meh, a clip is a clip, is a clip is a clip. you should elaborate on GM Taboada's reply on clipping...he must have explained it thoroughly after 10 minutes right? 1) Clipping is Dangerous - it can be... you clip and i'll counter-clip. you grab then you better have a good reason to coz you're locking yourself up. or please elaborate. 2) Clipping is Advanced - it can be...for the reasons in number 1. or please elaborate. 3) Clipping is for Dummies - it can be...if you don't ponder and realize number 2 and number 1. or please elaborate. this clipping is not new and not exclusive to balintawak as others have said. now ask Mr. Russell to write something you don't hear too much about in balintawak, like how to break rhythm and utilize feints with stick control in cuentada and you'll have my attention. salamat, sendastick

4. free2flow

free2flow New Member

hey scott, thanks a lot for posting john's ideas on clipping. i think it's good information and it show's john has a good understanding of clipping as praticed in balintawak. maybe in time he will fully understand it (clipping) and express the theory/technique in action. and also in time, i'm sure, he will also discover the proper time and how/where does the training of clipping fits in in the whole teovel balintawak training/curriculum/progression so that the other aspects/techniques/theory will not suffer.

good luck on your training!

- ritche

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  5. Richard Cotterill

Richard Cotterill New Member

Why are you so dis-respectful?

Hi Scott.

I have posted in direct reply to your most recent post.
    Blue Bold so there is no ambiguity in what I am writing, this is in response to the offence I feel you are causing. MY OPINION.

Point 1) Robert asked:
    Off-topic, but...
    Any of you VMA folks connected with the person using the name "VMAbalintawak" on YouTube?
    Robert

I think Robert has every right to be p***ed off, just like you have hey!!.

The reply from a man or person who has been discredited on this forum who has nothing to do with the VMA in Australia who has now been discredited by the administrators of this forum as being from California replies with a bunch of posts from You Tube and he has the nerve to doctor them in an attempt to tar several names with the same brush.

Scott, the ip address when posting can be traced to the country of origin. But People travel the world, if they are at computer then they can post with a different IP to their own country of residence.

Why are some people on this forum still referring to this discredited persons post?
    Maybe because both he and you have upset a few people (actually in terms of quantity I think you win hands down). The only thing is you maybe cannot see it but you have continued down this path.

To Clarify.

I do not know who VMA Balintawak on "You Tube" is period. I have asked around as has John Russell.
    Someone has made an account and used a very similar name to the one in which I posted a video. It is true an email was sent to Falcon AgentX44 by VMA Balintawak09 (ME) but it differs greatly to the one the discredited Falcon AgentX44 has posted. The Actual comment he made to our video and the ACTUAL response given is below.
    The previous now becomes irrelevant as you have openly disrespected the Balintawak Brotherhood in this very post.

FalconAgentX44 (3 weeks ago) Show Hide
    Reply | Remove | Block User | Approve | Spam
    New Comment (Pending Approval)
    With all due respect, I agree with what juramentado stated, it does appear that they DO need balintawak instructors in the area of Australia where this Mr. John Rusell is from.
    His "agak" looks like girly BATON TWIRLING.

An inflammatory comment, I think we may agree on that.

Sent: 29 January 2008
    Read: 30 January 2008
    Subject: Show me your agak bro??
    Message: Hey mate, Show me how your "agak" is better than Johns and I'll post your comment. Yeah your agak. Not your instructors, your agak. Who do YOU train with?
    I've trained with Taboada personally (is that in Private one to one and to what duration of time may that add up to?) and know John is better, (in what respect better, would that be in teaching, fighting or both?)

I have students who trained directly under Gaabucayan and Tabimina and they also feel the others PALE (PALE, would that be defined as lack lustre, not a shining example, not bright or brilliant, dim, faint or feeble or indeed a whole plethora of definitions that you have inferred. So which one is it or maybe it is all of the aforementioned? Please clarify) in comparison to John. If you have better bro, show me(if you can), Then I'll post your comment. Until then.....

So you sent a reply of a similar inflammatory nature, only YOU raised the level by insulting a host of Balintawak instructors and also you give the inference that their students receive PALE instruction and you do not.

As you can all see from the above it is my personal opinion and the opinion of my students who spent extensive time training in the Philippines that was directed to another individual making an attack. It is My Opinion and the opinion of these other students that Johns method of teaching is superior and it is a shame it had to brought here in such an inflammatory fashion by FalconAgentX44.

And so it continues? Mind you like you state there is “no such thing as bad publicity”, right!

This FalconAgentX44 person has chosen to add his own negative comments in an attempt to entice conflict on this forum. It appears he has been successful with a great number of you. His broken use of the english language should have been a clear giveaway.

No-one in Australia would say "Better than Taboada 100 times"

No, no one would say it to his face!!! Would you?

Maybe next time you can pose the question why are you PALE in comparison to my instructor of Balintawak?

Hey, suggestion why don’t you go for “broke” and do it when Taboada, Tabimina and Gaabucayan are doing a combined seminar.

VMA Balintawak could be one of the many students John has trained in over 17 years as a Balintawak instructor.
    Well I have to say you have no respect just like the youtube username VMABALINTAWAK.

Point 2) On Clipping
    At a seminar in November 2007 held by GM Taboada after watching the demonstrations by GM Taboada and his training partner I asked the question

(During question time when the seminar was called to an abrupt halt 45 minutes earlier than advertised)
    Does the previous sentence have particular relevance?
    "When does clipping come into play?"
    Not being sarcastic but I would say when you want it to!

I asked the question as it quite evident to myself and the other VMA instructor present that the student/instructor from Bega NSW of 7 years experience
    (Does the 7 years have some particular relevance to your observation?).
    If I have a student training once a week and one training three times a week both for a year, they have still only trained for a year right!!!

was not clipping any of GM Taboadas attacks.
    What made you think in this “demonstration” he was supposed to? Just asking because of course I was not present.

GM Taboada replied over a 10 minute period with the following answers to my question on clipping: Good stopwatch always comes in handy.

1) Clipping is DANGEROUS
    2) Clipping is ADVANCED
    3) Clipping is for DUMMIES Ask your Instructor about cuentada

So perhaps VMA Balintawak is someone from the seminar or someone who has heard through the grapevine what was said by GM Taboada.
    GM Taboada seemed to know EXACTLY what I was referring to when I asked him the question about clipping.
    Would there be a reason why Bobby would NOT know EXACTLY what you were asking him?

Perhaps some people that don't know should ask him.
    Hopefully you will get a clearer answer than I did and can post it here for all our benefit.
    Why was the answer above not clear to you?
    Do you wish me to tell you, well I will here it is: Clipping is whatever YOU want it to be (including the 3 explanations Bobby gave to you).
    Training is training, fighting is fighting. Confuse at your peril.

You are assuming this VMA Balintawak person is on this forum thanks to the lies of the discredited FalconAgentX44.You can choose whatever name you want on these forums as well as on You Tube and unfortunately it can be used as a way to attempt to discredit certain individuals and groups as FalconAgentX44 has done so here.
    He does not have to be on this forum as you have made a pretty good job of standing in for him with the statements you have made.

You will probably have more luck finding the WMDs in Iraq than you will in finding an individual who probably doesn't even know this forum exists.

As for advice on clipping please see the below article by John Russell published in the Philippines premier martial arts magazine Rapid Journal March 2007 given to me by permission of John Russell to explain the ACTUAL VMA view on clipping.
    So John agrees we all need advice! Its not what you say it’s how you say it right!!

So to answer your question Robert I don't know who VMA Balintawak is but if I find out I'll let you know. It won't be behind closed doors either.
    Please let all the Balintawak Brotherhood know.

Did I take offence to someone saying my footwork sucked - It did. If you have video posted you can expect positive and negative critique. Unfortunately most people do this critiqing behind a pseudonym. If you don't like the videos of yourself on You Tube ask the person who posted them to remove them or to have the sense to set the video so comments must be approved. Otherwise you have to put up with criticisms based on what people see. You should be comfortable enough in knowing yourself how good you are. Oscar Wilde once said "There's no such thing as bad publicity"

I don't feel the need to explain my absence from this forum either. I prefer to spend my time both training and with my family than staring at a computer screen.
    The previous statement explained your absence, thank you.

Cheers,
    Scotty
    --------------------------------------------
    No comment on the article

Just a suggestion, why don’t you ask John (like Dennisay suggests) on things that are not often covered in Balintawak. Maybe he could cover some of the subjects that get instructed here in the UK Like:

• Enhanced teaching methodology
    • How to exponentially increase your power
    • Elements of Kinesiology
    • Structure and relevance of joint fulcrum and lever principles
    • Torque and torsion principles
    • Body Mechanics
    • Loading, Reloading and unloading your ‘’firing mechanism”
    • Bio feed back training
    • Preset and random selection training
    • Importance of mental disposition & Intent in your training
    • Connecting and disconnecting of the skeletal structure
    • Ground effect
    • Utilisation of Body Control Points
    • Plyometrics loading
    So in conclusion I know we all make mistakes and say things that are not wise.

I have met people before who get on in life by deriding and downplaying others.

Scott remember this Bobby Tabaoda has been the most successful Balintawak exponent in propagating the art of Balintawak worldwide, every group has more than likely benefited from that, directly or indirectly. Including your own.

This he has done out of respect for his teachers (especially Teofilo Velez) fellow Balintawak Masters and all aspiring students of Balintawak. He came from nothing and served a long and hard apprenticeship and you have the mistaken belief that he is not passing on the art to people that want to learn it.

Tabimina and Gaabuyacan and many others are our friends and know what the term brotherhood means. Go look it up, dictionary.com.

PS
    I have to say some things are best left unsaid, maybe you made this mistake. Hey maybe I have also, but you know what I have the integrity to admit to my mistakes.

One last thing seeing is for people with eyes, feeling is for people with heart!

From my heart you are welcome, I respect (when it is mutual). Which at this particular moment counts you out.

Richard.

6. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Compare the size and weight of Bobby to the others. Bobby is gigantic compared to them. "Center balance" and "step the way you walk" are the catch phrases we use. Watch this video starting at about 03:20 and you'll see Mr. Velez drop his weight and spread his feet - http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Ykr9OSIbH0

Robert

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  7. Robert Klampfer

I asked him about this. He knows of it but didn't learn it.

Robert

8. deke

deke New Member

This sounds impressive. Lets look at some of the these.

"exponentially increase power"

Simple definition. A function which raises some given constant (the "base") to the power of its argument. Are we talking base 2? So you say your instruction can turn a 1000 newton punch into a 1000 kn punch. However, you might mean base 1.00001. This would mean a negligible increase in force. The statement is meaningless hype unless you provide a base number to work on and shows a significant lack of understanding. Have you done any quantitive anaylsis of your claim?

"enhanced teaching methodology"

Teacher-centred, interactive, individualized or experimental? What research do you base your enhanced teaching methodology on:- Gardner, Piaget, Skinner, Vygosky, Gestalt, ...etc.

"elements of kinesiology

What is you particular area of interest in kinesiology when it comes to the MA's:-functional anatomy, biomechanics, exercise physiology, motor control, ...etc?

"Pylometric loading"

How do you specifically apply this to Balintawak? What type of arm pylos do you do? Simple regime of chest pass ( medicine ball), incline push up, depth jump, vertical toss, ..etc or do you use a bag. Which of the above for which strike or counter? For example Teovel's No 1 and 9 strike uses different muscle systems.

"Loading, Reloading and unloading your ‘’firing mechanism”'

Sorry don't understand, can you explain this in biomechanical terms.

"biofeedback"

What devices do you use:- electromyographic, thermal or electrodermal?

I've heard plenty of MAists claim an understanding of the above but VERY few able to substantiate their claim.

Have to disagree. I learnt nothing at the seminar that I went to in the late 90's. I had already been studying Balintawak for 3 years. I'm sure Bobby had/has plenty to teach but I just didn't get anything out of the format.

When you say propagating the art of Balintawak, what do you mean? His form of Balintawak (Cuentada) which is significantly removed in style and methodology from his instructors (Teovel's). I'd say Remy Presas was the most successful Balintawak exponent propagating the art of Escrima. If people are wondering the connection, Remy was a very skilled exponent of Balintawak who turned what he knew into Modern Arnis to make it more saleable. I have no problems with this as in the evolution process he lost the direct association with Balintawak by dropping the name.

Visyan Martial Arts Balintawak has a lineage back to Velez the same way Bobby's form does. John
    Russell learnt from Henry Jayme who learnt directly from GM Velez. The difference being Henry and John choose to teach as they were taught with as little variation as possible.

From the little exposure I've had to Balintawak Cuentada it is different from what Teovel taught. This is neither meant to be a positive or negative comment. Balintawak by its very nature evolved through Bacon, Villasin and Velez. People are free to make up their own minds about whether the evolution is effective or not.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  9. oosh

oosh Junior Member

Wow lots of chatter...not really in he keeping with the history of Balintawak and it's fighters ;)

10. Pike

Pike New Member

Twenty Plus Years On

Balintawk
    The Great Grandmaster Anciong Bacon is widely acknowledged as the original master of Balintawak Arnis/Eskrima. In Balintawak Arnis, the stick is used as the primary training tool. The theory is that the stick is only an extension of the arm and that the human body can only move in so many normal ways. In Balintawak, the student is taught that there is a counter to every counter and that continuous research and discovery is the basis of knowledge.

I like this last quote, its the only one that sounds correct the rest is
    criticism a form of Balintawak.
    As a school teacher we all thought you would embrace change not get into mean and petty exchanges.

You claim to be a secondary school teacher, remember all that is learnt
    is not from a book.
    Sometimes the thinking has to stop and you have to start to feel.

11. Richard Cotterill

Richard Cotterill New Member

Deke.
    I will start by saying we can all go to the Library and quote very clever people, collect and present data analysis, (academics and politicians do it all the time), equations etc, that usually gets some sort of result.

Many people (as I once did) believe that combative applications and their movement patterns are exclusively associated within the Martial Arts, anything outside of that box is not relevant right!! Well maybe that’s not correct, for a start we all have inherent self protection mechanisms built in. Look at children, do you have to teach them how to walk/run, eat, bite, kick, slap or even tell lies when there mechanism suggests they may be admonished or punished for something they knew they was not supposed to do.

How do you try and build on those inherent movement patterns, like withdrawal reflex, startle/flinch response etc etc. Try throwing some metal coins in a sink full of very hot water and then try and snatch them out, maybe the pain is too much but it might just touch on withdrawal reflex. How do we apply that in what we train. Mental Intent or mindset, do you say “bad” things in your head when you are training. How do you train the advanced whilst you are teaching basic.
    I know how this works for me and others in our group. At the end of the day my students always have the option to say what is for them, they choose.

Governments, Institutions, Organizations, Authorities, etc and indeed almost all of us like everything standardized (in a box). That’s what a syllabus or a curriculum is also. People outside the box are the chaos, bastardization, non conformers, dangerous etc. Where am I going with this well the “fight” as I understand it is the chaos etc, so maybe we take a look outside the box after all.

I believe what you are told or shown regarding Balintawak (or anything else for that matter) is just a guide. If you want the box take the standardization thats okay. If you are there to be spoon fed then how are you ever going to stand on your own two feet and evolve. Art is just that an expression of yourself. Fighting is just survival.

When you do Number 8 or 9 or any of the numbered angles what about 8 ½ or 1 ¼. How do you break the pattern or change the syncopation. What is in your head the correct posture or intent. Training is training.

Look at world class table tennis players for fast reactive hand movement. How will a golfer improve his swing or increase the power from the club to the ball, how will a javelin thrower throw further, a batsman hit the ball harder etc etc. Again these are all human traits that can be enhanced and exponentially increased upon. You want a set of figures, go build your own “data” like I am still doing. I will even point you in a direction (mind you if you was head of IT you probably already know that).
    http://www.quintic.com/software/biomechanics/index.htm

Plyometric loading are you thinking in the box or out. Do you load me or do I load you. Well you figure it out, I have no doubt you will come back with some sort of retort. Bio feedback you want hooked up to a machine? Because that’s the way to measure!!

The enhanced teaching method is based on my experience and the people I have met and continue to meet. The way I have to aspire to be better, to highlight my constraints and try to elevate them, to look at something that is negative and turn it into positive. To try and look outside the box and give my students the freedom to do the same.
    So no I won’t ever be on a named list in a library, do I care about that.

Oh and where did I say I could take a punch and turn a 1000 newton punch into a 1000 kn punch. LOL. Are those figures from a box. Mind you part of a referenced equation hey. Are you putting words into my mouth?

None of this is substantiated right!! Would that be because I am PALE also.

Maybe you could list the Martial Artists you claim have made claims?

So what if Bobby’s method of Balintawak is not the same, or is originality the only way. A seminar is just a taster, sometimes we don’t bother to take the main course or desert.

A lot of work goes into a thesis. Of which this is not, this is just “Tit for Tat” and I much prefer to be the Tat.

My conclusion
    I ticked the box when I signed up to here, also I ask myself do I like where I am potentially going and would I like this on our own forum, I have already made my mind up on that one. So I am taking my behaviour out of here with you. If you wish to continue feel free (that would be the “tit” without the “tat”) or alternatively email me richard@balintawak.co.uk or private message me I don’t care which. Oh and laxative usually helps to loosen up.

I've done talking here with you on this subject.

Richard. (letters after name withheld in a sense of good taste).
    PS
    www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk this guy works outside the box.

Disrespect shown on the original post will be judged by people who still feel aggrieved.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  12. deke

deke New Member

Agarol

Richard: So I am taking my behaviour out of here with you. If you wish to continue feel free (that would be the “tit” without the “tat”)

Have responded privately but I will also take the opportunity to respond on the forum. Always been a bit of a “tit” man myself. Shock and awe, one response which means there is no counter. Watched a guy almost totally bite the other guys nose off in a pub fight. Two second grapple, went to ground, one bite, end of confrontation. This is my favourite lesson on INTENT

Richard: Look at world class table tennis players for fast reactive hand movement. How will a golfer improve his swing or increase the power from the club to the ball, how will a javelin thrower throw further, a batsman hit the ball harder etc. Again these are all human traits that can be enhanced and exponentially increased upon.

Genes that regulate cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems stop elite athletes from EXPONENTIALLY enhancing performance. A world class table tennis player can elicit small incremental gains in reaction times through plyometric exercise but these gains can make the difference between winning and losing. How a golfer improves their swing is dependant on skill level. A beginner is going to gain nothing from plyometrics but a great deal through someone correcting their stroke with a knowledge of the biomechanics of golf swing. Golf professionals (boxing trainers, MA instructors, …etc) often have a very practical understanding of biomechanics without needing to use technical jargon. Most MA instructors I know have a credible working knowledge of biomechanics which allows them to teach students to punch, kick, grapple,..etc effectively. My original point stands (which appears to have been missed) is that unless you have a real understanding and ability to use Sports Science to improve performance (incrementally) it at best is ineffective and worst, just hype.

Richard: How do you break the pattern or change the syncopation. What is in your head the correct posture or intent. Training is training.

My intent is simple, to end the confrontation as quickly as possible. To make sure my punch, kick, bite, gouge, headbutt stops the other person from hitting back. In boxing you might train a twelve punch combination but I’ve never seen one in the ring. Syncopation happens in Balintawak training because there is an expectation that there is going to be a counter. Why train to break syncopation, when in general, syncopation doesn’t happen in a fight?

Richard: How do you try and build on those inherent movement patterns, like withdrawal reflex, startle/flinch response etc etc. Try throwing some metal coins in a sink full of very hot water and then try and snatch them out, maybe the pain is too much but it might just touch on withdrawal reflex.

Your example isn’t startle/flinch response. This requires spontaneous stimulus which produces a reflexive motor response. The fact that you have thrown the coins means you can make a conscious decision to retrieve them even if it means you will get burnt. Same response when a parent runs into a burning building to save their child. Withdrawal reflex is the same if you are given the time to make a conscious decision. Jurys’ out on Blauer, whether you can actually mold the startle/flinch into something combatively useful. One things for sure you can’t stop the response from happening

Richard: Many people (as I once did) believe that combative applications and their movement patterns are exclusively associated within the Martial Arts, anything outside of that box is not relevant right!!

I agree, I know many people who haven’t had a day of MA training who are excellent fighters. One of the disadvantages of MA training is that it pre-programs and hardwires a set of rules.

Richard: The enhanced teaching method is based on my experience and the people I have met and continue to meet.

All MA instructors have a teaching method. Many facilitate learning by putting the tools in place which creates an environment where the student can do their own mental construction of how to use what they have been given. It has an educational term which is called “social constructivism”. You are mistaken if you think there are not plenty of others out there (including myself) that don’t teach the same way. Also, the only way this teaching method can be “enhanced” is through self reflection.

Self reflection (if its to be effective) requires an openness to the way others think. A willingness to accept that although others have different ideas and you may not agree with them they are part of the environment which allows you to test your own theories, this in turn allows your conceptual understanding to grow. In reality the MA community isn’t very good at this. I find it a bit ironic that one of the major traits most people outside the MA’s think MA’s engender is self discipline where for many it is the exact opposite.

Getting bent out of shape in a forum is pointless, however, aggrieved you think you are. Save your aggression for when someone breaks into your house and tries to hurt your family.

Only used 500ml of Agarol. Like Richard I’ll sign off on this particular thread.

13. Apprentice

Apprentice New Member

Subject: Show me your agak bro??

......... I have students who trained directly under Gaabucayan and Tabimina and they also feel........

Hi all, I have been waiting to get approval to be able to make a comment since this all started. I still don't know who VMA Man is. I have trained directly under Nene many years ago when we were both at the YMCA of Manila and with Bobby Tabimina when i went back to Iligan City a few years ago. I met John Russell 13 years ago at one of Bobby Taboada's seminar and only started training with John last year. Both Nene and Bobby Tabimina has verbally told me the history of Balintawak (though I may not remember all) and so has John Russell. All three versions match up.
    To my point of view, there seems to be an upset about clipping. All three have taught me clipping though in different stages or level of instruction.

To quote Bobby Taboada, "Every style of martial arts has something to offer. Pick up a good move, rehearse it, practice it, understand it, and then think about the counter. Then it is yours."

John Russell, being my most recent Balintawak instructor, has shown me clipping from the first day he started instructing me. All three have different methods of instruction. All three have taught me Balintawak. I don't claim to be an expert in Balintawak, i have a long way to go. What I have experienced is that John Russell's method of instruction is a highly evolved method of instruction.

14. Apprentice

Apprentice New Member

After training with John Russell, it felt that the training I received from Nene Gaabucayan and Bobby Tabimina set me up for defeat. John teaches the blocks for disarms during the course of training while Nene and Bobby Tabimina didn’t.

When John and I went to Bobby Taboada's seminar a few years back, we were shown a "kata" like the one shown on a 1992 instructional video. I didn't want to go to another seminar where i could waste another 6 hours of my time being shown stick spinning rather than Balintawak.

15. guillermo taboada

guillermo taboada New Member

HELLO MY FRIEND APPRENTICE,
    I AM READING YOUR COMMENT ABOUT ME, I AM SO SORRY IF YOU ARE DISAPPOINTED ABOUT ME, TELL ME YOUR POINT OF WHAT IS MY MISTAKE AND I WILL ANSWER YOU IN A GOOD MANNER. I DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE TRYING TO RUN YOUR WORD TO THE WORLD,
    IF YOU BELIEVE OF WHAT YOU ARE TRAINNING NOW, THEN IT IS GOOD FOR YOU. IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD INSTRUCTOR JOHN RUSELL. SO, HIS INSTRUCTOR MUST BE A REALLY GOOD INSTRUCTOR TOO
    HENRY JAYME OF THE VELEZ CLAN. I AM PROUD OF HIM.
    YOU MAYBE MISUNDERSTAND OF MY SEMINAR FEW YEARS BACK ABOUT ME DOING THE STICK KATA, REMEMBER THAT THE BALINTAWAK NEVER HAVE A KATA FORM. YOU MAYBE SEE THE TWIRLING THAT I HAVE SHOWED BUT, THAT IS ONLY FOR CONDITIONING OF THE ARM. AND IF SOMEBODY COULD TEACH ME HOW TO DO STICK KATAS, I WILL TAKE IT,AND LEARN IT, THERE IS NOTHING TO LOOSE. OUT OF THOUSANDS OF STUDENTS WORLD WIDE FROM DIFFERENT STYLES OF MARTIAL ARTS THAT I HAVE TEACH, I NEVER HEARD BAD THINGS ABOUT ME. THEY ALWAYS SHOW THIER RESPECT BECAUSE, I RESPECT THEM MORE THAN THE RESPECT ME. THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS TEACH THE STUDENT HOW TO RESPECT EVEN THOSE LOWER LEVELS. I ALWAYS EMPHASIZE THE FRIENDSHIP AND BE GOOD EXAMPLE. MY PURPOSE OF TRANNING THE STUDENTS IS TO BE BETTER THAN ME IN THE FUTURE.
    BEFORE HENRY JAYME STARTS BALINTAWAK AT GM TEOPILO VELEZ, I WAS THE MAIN TEACHER AT THAT SCHOOL ASIDES FROM MY BROTHERS CHITO, EDDIE, MONIE VELEZ AND OTHERS. FOR MANY YEARS TEACHING AT THAT BALINTAWAK INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, GRANDMASTER TEOPILO VELEZ IS ALWAYS THERE WATCHING AND CORRECTING MY MISTAKES OF TEACHING. THE WAY HE CORRECT IT, HE WILL SHOW IT, AND GIVING ME A HARD HIT NO MATTER WERE HIS STICK LANDED IN MY BODY, AND HE SAY,, THAT IS WHAT YOU GET IF YOU TEACH THAT WAY. SO I LEARN MORE AND MORE EVERYDAY.
    I LEARN A LOT FROM HIM SINCE THE BEGINNING OF MY BALINTAWAK CARRIER, MOSTLY, LEARNING ABOUT FRIENSHIP, ITS ALL CAME FROM HIM. I OWED A LOT FROM HIM, HE IS THE ONLY MAN THAT GAVE ME THE EDUCATION THAT I DONT HAVE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I HOPE EVERYBODY DOES THE SAME TO BE GOOD EXAMPLE. WE ARE ALL STARTS THE BALINTAWAK 12 BASIC STRIKES IN CONTROL.

LETS BE FRIENDS. THANK YOU.
    GRANDMASTER BOBBY TABOADA

16. Reactor

Reactor Junior Member

Mr. Apprentice:

Discovery is very much a large part of Balintawak. Most, if not all, Balintawak masters know this and teach in a manner that "motivate/challenge" students to, in a manner of speaking, fight back , to discover what works, as opposed to being spoonfed. Some learners, however, simply want to be told what to do and how to do things.

Not knowing the extent of your training with any of the aforementioned, I would not be presumptuous to state what type of learner you are, but I do know that Mr. Gaabucayan and Mr. Tabimina do not spoonfeed, and this type of training does require some patience, fortitude, and humility from the learner. Perhaps this is the reason you feel you were "set up for defeat."

Cheers,
    Reactor

17. deke

deke New Member

Method of instruction

"What I have experienced is that John Russell's method of instruction is a highly evolved method of instruction."

Have to agree. John's method of instruction was evolving even before he started to learn Balintawak (late 80's). John taught Hapkido's "Ho shin sul" not in terms of individual technique but grouped by principles of body mechanics.

Teovels Balintawak "method of instruction" fits well with John because of its logical progression.

As an instructor he expects his students to challenge what he teaches. This is unusual because he really does it, not just talk about doing it. Being around the Martial Arts for a fair time I've listened to a lot of instructors say they allow their students to ask questions but often when the questioning gets too intense or it takes them beyond their own skillset they quickly jump behind the "patience, fortitude, and humility" crap.

How many of us have watched MA instructors teach non working techniques to students who unquestionably put them into their toolbox to be used "on the street"? Some instructors do this unknowingly but others do it knowing the techniques don't work to fill up the curriculum so they can keep taking the students money.

18. MacJ_007

MacJ_007 Junior Member

I was gonna say something but never mind. What's the point of explaining it to people who don't understand. It's a waste of time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  19. guillermo taboada

guillermo taboada New Member

HELLO MACJ OO7,

SOME BALINTAWAK PRACTITIONERS TALK, AND IT HURTS TO ALL BALINTAWAK COMMUNITY, YES YOUR'E RIGHT, YOU DONT HAVE TO EXPLAIN, ITS A WASTE OF TIME. JUST DO WHAT YOU DO AND BE GOOD EXAMPLE.

GM BOBBY TABOADA
    www.internationalbalintawak.com

20. Robert Klampfer

Would you first please identify yourself? You're claiming to have trained with Nene Gaabucayan and Bobby Tabimina so, I'd like to establish some bona fides with them in regards to your training.

I'd also like to hear more of an explanation of your "set me up for defeat" comment. In what way do you believe they did this? Nene and Bobby Tabimina are tried and true Balintawak street fighters and I've not heard of John Russell being considered such so, I hope you'll pardon me for being skeptical of your comment. However, I'm open to reason so, please explain.

Robert