Visiting the PI? What to see?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Hubbard, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

I've seen a number of beautiful pictures of this country, but often can't make the connection between pics and places. So, for someone planning a trip, where would you suggest going for some beautiful sights?

2. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

Depends what you are into. If anyone wants some specific suggestions, let me know. I lived there for over two years and traveled extensively. I can help you plan out major tourist stuff and some stuff that's a little more off the beaten path.

Pete

3. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Hey Pete,
    I'm personally probably a year or 2 out from being able to make the trip myself, but some of the things I like are mountains, valleys and beaches, all 3 I know are there. :) For this thread though, I'm kinda thinking in generics, you know, good places to go, etc. Sorta a 'seed' for discussion if you will. :)

4. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I need to get someone from my school to post here! We make every-other-year trips to the PI and Indonesia. Unfortunately I won't be able to make the 2007 trip....maybe 2009...

5. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

There are so many places to visit and so much to see in the philippines, it's really hard to say. Cebu and Bohol have great beaches. Panglao island off of bohol is one of my favorite places to go to the beach in the philippines. Not as developed as Boracay and some of the bigger beaches. Mactan island off Cebu has great beaches and world class resorts. It's more developed than Panglao though. Diving is good around cebu, bohol, and dumaguette.

For the mountains you have to visit Baguio city. It's a great place. Lots of things to see there. From there you can head up to mountain province. I recommend seeing the rice terraces in Banaue. They are truly unbelievable. If you feel adventurous, you can take the trek from there to Batad and stay in a village overnight. The only way to get there is to hike, but the rice terraces are even better than the ones in banaue. Also in the mountains you can go to Sagada. It's a quiet mountain town. They have wonderful hiking trails, hanging coffins and caves. You can hire a guide and go through the caves. It's really a great experience. Just a gorgeous place with wonderful people.

There is so much to see and do it's really hard to say specifically unless you have an idea what you want to do and some areas you are planning to travel to. If anyone is seriously going let me know and i'll help you out.

You can also check out the Wow Philippines site. There is a lot of good information there. The packages aren't bad, but you can do it yourself much cheaper.
    http://www.wowphilippines.com.ph/

Pete

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

The PI is great for the sites....I am a big WW2 enthusiast...I went to Corrigador, Battaan, Mcarthurs Landing in Leyte etc. In Manila you have to go to Luneta it is an FMA'er thing to do..plus they have the huge Lapu Lapu statue. If you get down to Batangas area the mountains are gorgeous...and if you can go to Barangay Balisong you can pick up original made Balisongs from the source. Tagatay is also beautiful and a bit cheaper to stay as opposed to Boracay but the beaches are just as beautiful. Just go and have a great time. I am heading back in July for a month or so..can't wait!

7. young blade

young blade New Member

Hi, I would suggest you add Puerto Gallera in mindoro and Puerto Princesa of palawan to your list. when it comes to mountains, you can also try Mt. mayon in bicol, Mt. Makiling in Laguna, and Taal volcano in Batangas.

8. shrapnel

shrapnel New Member

All the places previously mentioned are nice. However, they're scattered all over the Philippines so you'll need to do a lot of flying around if you want to visit them all. I suggest you categorize them according to location and then choose which groups of sites you'd most like to see. At least if the sites are close by, you can spend more time enjoying a few locations rather than seeing everything but be worn out from travelling all over.