very serious in taking up balintawak

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by adelphi, Aug 5, 2008.

1. adelphi

adelphi New Member

but before that i have several questions.

i have zero martial arts training whatsoever. i'm 22 (turning 23 in aug. 16) and have played basketball my entire life. i'm 6'2 and 170, will that be a detriment to the training?

i know there are different types of balintawak (tabimina) what are the differences between them?

how much is it to get into the classes? what are their curriculums like?

my girlfriend also wants to take this up. is it also full contact for girls?

thanks everybody

-jay

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

The answers to many of your questions will vary by the instructor. The best advice I can give you is to see if you can view the classes at the place you're looking at to train and/or ask the questions to the instructor.

3. Rolando

Rolando New Member

Hi Jay, it's funny that you mentioned basketball. I often tell guro Robert Cinco how Balintawak is a lot like basketball. Palakaw is like dribbling the ball while looking at your sparring partner, at the same time, you look for his weak spot, you try to score by hitting your partner's open areas. Of course, just like basketball you fake, feint or lure your partner into a position you like and score, your partner will do the same. It becomes an offense/defense play and it's really fun.

To answer your question, basketball is not a detriment but a bonus.
    By the way, there's only one Balintawak, the teaching style is the difference.

4. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Jay,

I am 6'3" and 290 lbs and the size is not a problem for me. Your thighs and knees may give you problems in your leaning and other body work until you have stretched and trained your body in that fashion.

Each instructor/school/family lineage has different curriculum. I know that my instructor tried teaching his daughters but they ended doing other things then spending the time to get better aftger the basics. But, once again this will depend upon the instructor and how they teach. From Manong Ted Buot he taught the same for all people be they male or female. He did have other female students as well. If they absorbed what he taught then he would move them on to the next technique and level of timing. If they did not be they male or female he would continue to work them where they were.

Good Luck in your training in Balintawak.

5. macariom

macariom New Member

about your questions

Your built(height/weight) won't be a detriment to training. If you are athletic type, very good then.

Balintawak traces it's root to Anciong Bacon. Visit www.visayanmartialarts.com, it has more info about balintawak.

Balintawak is Balintawak, the difference is the instructor personal interpretation of the art.

Balintawak specialiazes on close range fighting and Tabimina has closer range than probably all other balintawak.

How much, you better ask this question personally.

Curiculum? Sparing , sparing, sparing. You start with few moves and slow, it gets more moves and faster. I find it fun and ever challenging...

For Girls, sir Bob handle ladies differently well, don't worry.

my 2c.
    Good luck.