Valencia Lameco compared to "original" Lameco

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by Robert Robbins, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Robert Robbins

Robert Robbins New Member

Can anyone explaine the differences in the two approches? I'm new to Lameco, but have trained in a variety to FMA. Pekit-tirsia, Inosanto blend and Mr. Hocheim's version of Presas Family arnis. My training partner and I have located a Valencia Lameco Instructor very close to home. (We are in Oklahoma, any FMA is hard to find).

So is there a distinction between "Valencia Lameco and Original Lameco"?

Thanks,

New guy,

Robert

2. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Hm, I thought I had already answered this post...

Anyways, I believe that guro Valencia might have somewhat expanded groundwork curriculum in comparison with what PG Sulite was teaching, but other than that I wouldn't really know.

3. Robert Robbins

Robert Robbins New Member

wow, I must have missed it.
    Sorry, I apologize.

I've heard the empty hand is much more Muay Thai oriented.

Thanks for your time,

Rob

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What material was added--more Filipino grappling, or some BJJ or the like?

5. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I'd say some influences from BJJ and alike grappling systems, guro Valencia has been exposed to that by living in California, after all.

Still, once more I have to stress that I am only speaking from what I have seen in some of his videos and clips of his seminars, but I do not have any first-hand experience whatsoever!

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A little BJJ is good for everyone, in my opinion--it's made me feel safer when I get clinched up.

7. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Also, judging by the guro Valencia feature in GM Rey Galang's book "Masters of the Blade", there are some other influences in the Valencia Lameco, more so in the empty-hand portion of his curriculum that with weapons.

8. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Felix Valencia

Robert Robbins,

Hello sir, I hope that all is well with you and that you are training with intention. Sorry for the delay in responding to your query but I have been out of the country for quite awhile and I have only just recently returned. Now to respond to your question.

Felix Valencia is one of our brothers in Lameco Eskrima and regardless of what he is teaching now he along with the rest of us were taught the original curriculum by Edgar G. Sulite himself. I really can`t say what Felix Valencia is or is not teaching concerning Lameco Eskrima now as I have not seen any of his DVD`s and I have only been able to get together with him once since PG Sulite passed in 1997, at the 10 year Tribute to PG Sulite in 2007. At that point it was more about catching up with everyone on a personal level as opposed to seeing what each of us were doing on a technical level.

Let me assure you that Felix Valencia is more than knowledgeable concerning the original curriculum and has every ability to teach it verbatum if he chooses to do so. Anything in addition to that would be self evolution on his part. Since he is using the title "Valencia Lameco Eskrima" I can only assume that he is teaching an evolved progression based on Lameco Eskrima as the nucleus in combination with other styles which he has trained over the years in addition to that.

The final analysis is that Felix Valencia was first and foremost an orignal Lameco Eskrima student as were the rest of us who trained for years under the astute tutelage of Edgar G. Sulite and when he talks on Lameco Eskrima to what ever degree he talks as someone very well learned with proficiency. Train with him or anyone in his lineage and you will not be disappointed.

Train well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.