Uniting FMA Systems

Discussion in 'General' started by Datu Tim Hartman, May 2, 2010.

1. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

It's actually a moot point..do what you want, teach it to the best of your ability..put forth solid effort while learning and enjoy the ride. Be a decent human being to yourself and to others and the worm shall turn in a positive direction..outside of that what is there?....To standardize FMA is akin to taking a shower with a rain coat on..you may get wet but never clean..and it is useless. If some one comes to me and asks if I am willing to do this I'd tell them a hardy " NO Thanks".....if the persisted then a wood shampoo may be in order..lol...that's as decent as I can be when people try and push their druthers on me.

2. SAL

SAL Junior Member

I have noticed over the last couple of years that many of the different FMA groups are getting along better and information is being shared. Not just techniques but group origin info backed up by personal stories and those handed down by parents and grandparents. This is the way we become unified. We become friends and share information and stories. Then, we can use this new knowledge as we see fit and only if it works in our style. Regardless of whether we use the fighting techniques or not the stories and history will remain with us.

Sal

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I'll be one to rock the boat with this topic.. I feel that unification within the FMA would drive a death blow to some of the individuals who decide not to get involved with organizations.. I can tell you from past experiences that irregardless of how long you have been involved with a particular system or how long you have been involved with the FMA, there will be some pendejo that will come up and say that you are not teaching what they believe is the FMA.. I have been involved with various FMA and Martial arts organizations over the time I have been involved in this path, and it always turns out to be the same.. Some jack with an illusion of grandeur will try to run rough shod over other instructors, cliques will be formed and it will turn out to be one big pissing contest on who the top dog is..

I personally will not be involved with any dealings with this concept due to the fact that I have been down this road before and when I left, I left more damage and ill feelings than sherman's march through atlanta.. I was told by junior personnel that I had to shut up and not talk to other senior people in the organizations where I was one of the founding members, so I left it and burned the bridges behind me.. There has been people who have tried to smooth the path with me, but once the damage has been done by junior personnel who have a self inflating ego because of their proximity to the system founder, it is a slap in the face when these jerk offs try to get their way and it swings their way because they are so close to the system founder that if he/she stops too quick, they will have to go to the doctor to get their head removed out of the sphincter of the system founder..

The only way I will get involved with any standardization of unity in the FMA is when they pry my baston or ginunting from my cold dead hands..

Nuff said

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Sounds like a rattan lollipop is in order if they approach Mike with this concept.

5. Muad Dib

Muad Dib New Member

I think that this is what I disagree with. FMA isn't an art, it's a catagory OF arts. If you applied the above statement to a family, lets say a family of 8....the "Smiths"....and said "who is the REAL Smith?"....well....they're all real, and they're all individual and distinctly different, yet related people.

There are many systems that commonly get lumped into "Japanese Karate" that all stem from Funakoshi Sensei. But not all of them. For instance Goju Ryu, which you listed. Their basics aren't all the same as those of Shotokan. There are other styles of Karate-Do where even how to form a fist is different. There are some that never rotate the fist on punching, some that never pronate the wrist when executing an outward block. In one style of Shito Ryu that I know of their stances are distinctly different from how they are formed in their brother branches of Shito Ryu and very different than other Karate-Do.

To unite and homogenize disparate things is to remove their differences, their uniqueness and in the process...I think....a Great deal would be lost!

6. Muad Dib

Muad Dib New Member

WHAT???
    You mean having the govt. (any govt.) come in, determine what's best for everyone and enforce "unity" doesn't automatically simplify and pefect a thing???
    no way......
    surely you jest......

7. still lurking

still lurking New Member

Sounds nice but it's a pipe dream.

There's politics within a single system, all the more an entire FMA body.

8. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Yes, it might be good. One persons idea of a perfect world is not what others want or need. A governing body, doesn't sound good.

9. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

However, I am glad I got to know some of you out there, and am happy to visit with you all.

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Having just returned from the 5th UK FMA Festival and having withnessed 99.9% of the UK's top Instructors, Masters and GrandMasters of no less than 27 systems share a room, share techniques, teach openly alongside each other, sit down and share stories and beers with each other and neither critisise what the others do, but rather accept that each has their own unique and different approach to the FMA is proof enough for me that unification (not standardisation) of the FMA is possible and is becomming a reality.

I heard over the years from many people, including those who actually attended and taught at this years festival that it was not possible to see such an historic event happen, and yet I watched those who said it was not possible smile and embrace the fact that it was actually happening right there in front of them and they where proud to be part of it.

So to those of you who say Unification is not possible, I say absolute rubbish, it is not possible if you dont want it to be (and that too is fine if that is what you want), but if you do want it, anything is possible and I have seen proof of it.

Standardisation on the other hand, well you can keep that one as far away from me as possible or you may well meet my best freind Mr. Kamagong.

Best regards

Pat

11. Paul

Paul New Member

What Pat said!!!
    27 systems and no politics, pure martial arts heaven.

12. AmaraWarrior

AmaraWarrior New Member

"Because of Styles, people are separated. They are not united together because Styles became Law. But the Original Founder of the style started our with Hypothesis. But now it has become the Gospel Truth and people who go into become the Product of that. It doesn't matter how you are, who you are, hwo you are structured, how you are structured, how you are built, how you are made... it doesn't matter, You jsut go in there and Be that Product. And that to me is not Right." ~ Bruce Lee

Hopefully All various Styles will come together and Promote Filipino Martial Arts as a whole for the Philippines.

13. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

It would never happen. Without competition, everyone won't be happy =D.

If you unite all FMA basics then there will be no more room for improvement because there will be no competition as perse to tell them that that move is so wrong etc. . .

14. FilAmfighter1

FilAmfighter1 Punong Guro

This year like last year I taught at the Legacy and what I saw was commonality even though the styles were very different. My style is not Serrada or Balitawak or Kombaton, but we all share similarities. I am also a Mataw Guro and I believe it is possible to unite people in FMA by showing on commonality. Every style has reason it was created and worked well for that founder and his followers, but it will not work for everyone as each person has their own gifts and body types. I feel strongly that everyone should have good foundation of the basics and then find the style that works for them. How I solve the problem would be very different then some guy who is 250 and 6'4''. the same goes to to someone 5'2" trying it my way. Everybody needs a core then find what works for them. That really what Arnis is about.

15. Rapier

Rapier RHC

It's all FMA you can't say it's not. And yes there are commonalities and also many differences. uniting the insrtuctors is the key. I have been teaching FMA for over 35 years and the cores of some systems might be the same and some are totaly not, but that does not mean we are not FMA. We do not need the same basics to exsist or to survive. I say let competent teachers teach at the schools regardless of the style or system. We all have our foundations and who's going to say my foundation not right. I have taught all over the world and at some of the best schools that have produced world champions in many diciplines WKA ISKA WBC ect. I think that the teachers at these places would send you on your merry way if you did'nt have somthing. And it not just about Arnis its the whole picture its about Escrima/Eskrima, Kuntao,Kuntaw,Sikaran and the many other systems that also teach weapons