U.K. Boy Scouts Told:: No Knives!

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by arnisador, Sep 16, 2009.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Scouts to no longer bring penknives on camping trips

Scouts will now be a little worse prepared after they were banned from carrying their traditional penknives due to the fears of those in charge of health and safety.

I'd just like to say: Sheesh.

2. :(

Could completely see this coming the way the U.K is going.

WTF is that spokesman taking?

Knives could be mis-used as weapons sure. But they could also be used as tools. Especially if you're taking the kids to do scout like activities like they should be doing.

Reminds me of that episode in south park where they fire the gay scout leader and employ some married guy who molests them anyway.

3. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I guess that less than "valuable life skills" like cutting rope, whittling tent pegs, and making kindling don't count anymore.

Best,

Steve

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The message appears to be: If going out into the wild, be sure to be unprepared! It's for your own safety.

5. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Will mummy be going to wipe their delicate little noses and fix them tea after it becomes law to wrap kids in foam until 21?

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Meanwhile, back in the U.S.:

It’s a Fork, It’s a Spoon, It’s a ... Weapon?

Yup, a six year old with a Boy Scout's eating utensil is another Columbine waiting to happen.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Seen on MT.

New York Eagle Scout Suspended From School for 20 Days for Keeping Pocketknife in Car

Sounds like they just narrowly averted a massacre there.

9. sjansen

sjansen New Member

US scouts aren't supposed to bring knive to camping trips either. I was alarmed to hear this from our cubmaster in regards to our future camporee. What started as a paramilitary organization to train boys for war is looking more like the girl scouts.

Next they'll ban the marines from carrying knives.

Would like to buy some cookies to support the marines?

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Telling people not to take some basic tools on a wilderness trip is the wroooooong message!

11. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I went on a camporee this weekend and used my knife to open walnuts and hazelnuts to show the kids what was inside. I cut off cat tail roots to eat. I also used it to create a spark as the cubmaster did not have something to strike his flint on. He went over all the items that you should have in a good survival pack, a knife was not one of them. I used it to make stakes for the scouts tents and to whittle corn stalks to start a fire. They were not allowed to have a knife and I think that they learned a good lesson. A knife is a very necessary tool.