Tumbada what does it mean ?

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by Black Grass, Sep 28, 2007.

1. armas

armas Junior Member

I agree with Raul.

Tatang did teach. This is based on my own experience of studying with him for 2 years. I am not an authority like the Pillars(Yuli Romo, Tony Diego, Romy Macapagal, Edgar Sulite, Ernie Talag, Rey Galang, and Tupher Ricketts). I was just lucky to be a student who was willing to learn from Tatang. He would break things down and explain his fighting method. If he wanted to teach you. I bet Raul can relate. But you had to take a beating first to gain his trust. Tatang was quite a teacher. He had few moves. But knew how to use them. It was simplicity in his movements that made him and effective fighter.

Just sharing........

2. Makata

Makata New Member

More power to the Ilustrisimo tribe, whereever we may be. :)

Lester S./New York

3. Banakun

Banakun New Member

Tatang did teach. This is based on my own experience of studying with him for 2 years. I am not an authority like the Pillars(Yuli Romo, Tony Diego, Romy Macapagal, Edgar Sulite, Ernie Talag, Rey Galang, and Tupher Ricketts). I was just lucky to be a student who was willing to learn from Tatang. He would break things down and explain his fighting method. If he wanted to teach you. I bet Raul can relate. But you had to take a beating first to gain his trust. Tatang was quite a teacher. He had few moves. But knew how to use them. It was simplicity in his movements that made him and effective fighter.

Well said. You don't have to be flashy to be effective. In a real fight, LESS IS MORE! Was it Bruce Lee who said... "Better to have one technique I can use than a thousand I just know." Simplicity is the hallmark of mastery!

Love you KI guys! More power to your group![​IMG]

4. eskrimador

eskrimador New Member

tumbada in kalis illustrisimo if i'm not wrong, is the basic parrying technique in which the defender have to "fall over" his weapon to fend an incoming low attack or middle thrust.this is done by just lowering the armed arm and with slight downward twisting of the wrist.

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

That is correct..a slight energy release. More of a redirection than a parry. The way Maestro Yuli teaches there is always a forward pressure like a coiled spring...with said pressure your constantly loaded hence when you feel movement you reciprocate in kind and uncoil into whatever you need to do to rectify said situation.

6. teovel'sBalintawak

teovel'sBalintawak New Member

Tumba is the Cebuano or Bisayan term of stumble in english. So tumbada is stumbling.

7. Raul

Raul Mananandata

One of the meanings of tumba in Tagalog is kill.