Tuition Fee

Discussion in 'General' started by junior eskrimador, Apr 13, 2009.

1. junior eskrimador

junior eskrimador Expect the Unexpected

Ok, I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed and I probably missed it. Anyway, what is an appropriate or average tuition for a school to charge. Some schools have 2 or more styles they teach, i.e., FMA, Kenpo, Muay Thai, Boxing, Ju jitsu, and MMA. I know that the founder/owner of the school has to pay the other main instructor of the style but charging over $100. Some founder/owner has an agreement were they teach the specialty instructors student in return to teach his senior students. Anyway, I can't see a school charging more then $100. I saw a school charging $200. a month. My tuition is less then a $100 and it's not $99.99, less then that. My training is not diluted/watered down or a McDojo as some people may call it. Someone, actually made a good point on this when we were talking about it. Some parents/future students might thing highter tuition means better quality. My opinion, not true, to me it means more money each month for the school but the quality might be lacking.

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

It all depends on how much you value the information being passed on to you whether it is of value or not. It could be 5 cents and be rubbish or $200 and worth every penny. So a hard question really

Best regards

Pat

3. junior eskrimador

Pat, that is true of what you say, "It could be 5 cents and be rubbish or $200 and worth every penny" but I'm saying if the school enjoy teaching and sharing the art/culture why charge so much. I know its a business and there is money involve but at the same time there's these backyard schools that has quality teaching but charges less and at times don't charge.

This is my personal take. Schools charges a lot because of FANCY DECOR, UNIFORMS, AND LOCATION, you call it overhead. There is a school here at my home town that charges $150, they have several schools infact there pretty big. Some say there are quality some say its not. I followed there lineage and it came from a reputable source but the fee is pretty high. There's another school that charges $200 and it has 4 locations. I'm not sure about the lineage couldn't really follow I believe the founder/owner of the school learned from a 4/5 generation Grandmaster.

Anyway, I just can't see myself paying that kind of money. I'm very furtunate to have found my current school. My instructors are very well skilled and passionate of the art.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

To my continued surprise, $100/month isn't at all uncommon these days and I see many places at or nearing $200/month. I suppose it depends on whether you feel you're getting what you want!

5. junior eskrimador

I remember when tuition fee was $25. a month for boxing. I'm not sure what the prices are now for boxing cause I hardly see stand alone boxing gyms its usually with MMA. Nothing wrong with that just thats the way I used to remember it. I didn't realize that $100-$200 is a norm for schools to charge. I guess the schools just follow the economy and there is nothing wrong with that.

6. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

The national average 5 years ago was $130 per month.

7. Pat OMalley

Well you also have to look at what your getting for your $150 to $200 a month, yes your right you have backyard schools that charge much less or even nothing, but look at the description, they are in a backyard so they can afford to charge less. There is a guy here in the UK who tries to teach in a park yet charges around $12 a class and his knowledge is very limited and I have a full time centre and charge around $7.50 a class but that does not mean there are those who charge more and do not supply top class training.

Look at the back yard classes, how many times a week do they train and look at the full time gym and see how many times they teach per week and what facilities they offer to you. It may be that if you trained in every class the fee per class may be a dam good deal. Dont just look at the monthly fee, look at what your getting for it.

Think about this, over here you can get a private lesson with a Tennis Instructor or a Piano Instructor and that would cost you around $65 for the hour, they are failed Tennis Instructors or they would be playing at Wimbledon and they are failed Pianists or they would be playing in the London Phylharmonic but the MA Instructor could be the best around?

We tried to take my 4 year old daughter to Dance Lessons recently and the fee for that was $300 a term, a term last 12 weeks and she had access to one class a week that lasted 30 minutes, and with that she had to have all the kit, Tooto, leotard, matching shoes all in a particular colour for her class, next year when she becomes 5 it goes up $100 per term and guess what her kit changes colour??? Each year the same, up and up and up... As you can guess we are not taking her, but that seems to be the norm for dance classes and guess what it is taught by failed dancers otherwise they would not have the time as they would be working as proffessional dancers in films, stage or TV would'nt they.

So really again I say, it all depends and what your geting and who you are getting and how much value you put on the knowledge your receiving. If I tallied up all the money I spent gaining the knowledge I have gained, trust me you would not be able to afford it and I would be a rich man, but I even to this day dont think about the price if I know what I am getting is worth it's weight in gold.

Dont get me wrong, I have seen some people charge silly money for classes and seminars and I have said I would never pay them that amount but only for the simple reason being that I dont think they are worth it. You have to make a judgement call on it.

Put it this way, would you pay Ford prices and then complain that you did not get the Ferrari you expected or would you be happy to get the Ford you payed for???

Just a thought...

Best regards

Pat

8. Pat OMalley

I have had people tell me $7.50 per class is too expensive and my response is always 'expensive compared to what?' they usually reply 'To the TKD class down the road' I respond with 'well firstly I dont do TKD and secondly why dont you go train there then?' and they say 'but I want to do FMA' and I say 'Well it's $7.50 a class then isnt it?'

Best regards

Pat

9. Pat OMalley

I can remember when my MA classes where around $2.50 per class and I used to spend about $25 per month on training but that was when I was 14 years old, I am 47 now and a pint of milk cost about that now. so it is all relative.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I remember paying $5/class or $20/month! I'm now paying about $80/month and that's just because I've been grandfathered in.

11. Pat OMalley

If it was Billy no mates who was 16 years old and had no expeariance and was simply making it up as he went along because he had watched a few DVD's then 50 cents would be too expensive. But if it was Lapulapu how much would you be willing to pay him?????

12. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

One mans garbage is anothers gold...caveat emptor...!

13. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

"Fees become an issue in the absence of value." I think the tuition may depend on the the overhead such as rent and utilities, i.e. electricity, water. I'm fortunate to have found a school where the instructor cares. When I first started tuition was only $60 a month for 2hrs twice a week. At that time we practiced in a hall of a building, since we have a gym we call home. If my instructor was making money he wouldn't have to run his primary company. I'm thankful for having a instructor that is skilled and believes in promoting the art.

14. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Years ago when I was stationed in Korea, I was paying 80.00 a month for private lessons which allowed me to take all the classes I wanted to at night while getting a 2 hr lunch time class with the instructor..

Fast forward to the 21st century, when I go to the Philippines, I won't think twice about paying top dollar for something I wanted to learn. I have paid in excess of 200.00 for a weeklong seminar with an instructor who offered something I was interested in..

Even when I am in the states, I pay for what I want to train in.. The tuition is the least of what I am concerned with as I can walk out of the class as fast as I walked in if I am not happy with the calibre of instruction. No one puts a gun to your head to train with an instructor, you make the decision to put the green down on the counter for classes and scheduling..

The martial arts is a service oriented business and in this case, the customer puts the green on the table or signs a contract for a standard tuition for a length of time.. Irregardless, if you sign a contract, you are stuck with the payments and tuition for the term of the contract..

I don't charge my students tuition if they are really interested in training and want to learn what I teach.. I can tell people if I want or not want to teach them for any reason I want..

I teach because I like to teach and pass on what I have learned in the past although most of my client base are professionals in their chosen field and some of them are even pilots who fly for commercial airlines while also doing duty as reservists or guardsmen in the military..

It is my way to teach people survival skills that can be relied on when the merde hits the oscillating mechanism.. I teach warriors to survive, not dojo ballerinas who freak out if their by the numbers response to an attack falls apart because of the lack of training in stressful situations in their smoke and mirrored "fitness centers" now known as dojos.

People who know me know that I don't pull punches when it comes to separating the wheat from the chaff when it comes to the FMA and other combative skills that I train in along with teach..

My point is, if you train with an instructor who knows his stuff and you are willing to put your hard earned dollars on the table for the services/instruction that he has paid for in his past, Don't bellyache because he paid for his tuition as was required in monetary agreement or paid for his tuition in blood, sweat and intensity.. What goes around in one circle has a tendency to come around in time

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  15. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

It depends on who can teach you how to fight and teach you how to take a hit... If it's some McDojo who doesn't do anything other than do kata all day then you're just wasting your money...

You can pay $200 a month to learn how to do 360 degree kicks and train with 8 yr. olds next to you or someone may charge you nothing but teaches you how to fight and survive...

It depends, how much is the training worth?

16. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

I agree I wouldn't want to train in a McDojo....

17. snake

snake New Member

fees

no instructor can justify some off the fees charged.sometimes these instructors are using martial arts to just print money.everyone has too earn a living but there has to be limits or can only the rich train

18. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Depends on who is teaching and what school... Some schools offer great training and can really teach you how to fight... While some McDojos with their contracts and extra fees are basically just overpriced daycare centers...

19. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

my instructor only charged us 25.00 a month but if we were doing it for the love of the art and proliforation of the art he was not concerned about the fee it was mostly to pay the space rent from a local dojo during the cold time of the year other wise when it is nice we go to the park and train outside.

20. WuLord187

WuLord187 Albo Kali Silat Student

If you are paying over $100 a month, I hope the gym/dojo/training area has equipment to work out on, targets/wooden dummy/heavy bags/BOBs/tires to hit, very clean facility with lost of space, located in a good commercial district, open at least 5 days a week, and you can practice their any day of the time with a credible teacher. Because $100 or greater is a fitness center fee!